For Your Eyes Only "GC" .... free mylar

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by iCLONE, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Hello GC members,

I have a great free resource for your grow set ups. This is a private video for GC members only.
    Well and I suppose visitors too. Please remember not to abuse this resource for we all know if
    we do it will no longer be available to us.

This is for free mylar reflective bags measuring 3' X 2' but can be cut open to double that size to
    6' x 4'. They are currently being thrown away by the company that uses them to ship small pet
    reptiles and other creatures.

THese are Bleach white on one side and bubble mylar on the other. Perfect for grow boxes but
    can be used on full sized rooms. One store throws away approx 12 a week. Your location may
    vary.

Enjoy ..... :smoking:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNGGW3sDbGY"]YouTube - Grass City free resource[/ame]

2. Awesome, thanks! I will definitely have to hit them up and be extra friendly!
    Thanks for sharing
    +rep

3. Thanks for sharing.:gc_rocks:

4. cool .... hope it works for you.

Glad to .... :wave:

5. Awesome tip - however, how does that conversation go?

"Hey, how are you doing today? I don't suppose you guys have any spare super reflective bags in the warehouse - do ya? Ya, I'm throwing a "space man" themed party this weekend and I want to make everyone astronaut costumes"

6. I hope you're not in my area, they might get a little suspicious after they hear about a 2nd space man party haha:D

7. Another option:

Go in there all shifty looking (eyes dodging back and forth). Whisper over your shoulder occasionally.

When they ask you if you need help, tell them you need some reflective bags to place over your head to keep the government from reading your mind.

If they tell you to use tin foil like everyone else, tell them it reacts to your teeth fillings.

8. just say you're an art student :p
    I use that for many different "hey do you guys have...." scenarios.

9. I went to a Petsmart like store a few days ago to get stuff to feed my critters and got some from them.

I sell and trade live coral and the bags are perfect for thermal insulating my shipments...... ;)

10. #11 iCLONE, Aug 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2010
    Cool .... thanx for the reps everyone :)

He he he Space Man Party? ... lol Right on.

So here are the best pitches so far.

1) Space Man Party*
    2) Art Project
    3) Home Windows
    4) Auto windows
    5) School use
    6) Pet Houses - I covered a dog house to help keep cool. (true)
    7) Secret "green" project for school.
    8) Interior decorating - wow can you imagine using it as wallpaper?
    9) Small Business use - offer to buy them for a few cents
    10) Halloween Costume
    11) School parade float

Got a good pitch?

That's funny .... accept for the fillings YIKES! but we plan on taking a few to our daughters soccer games because we always end up lending out umbrellas for the sun. Ususally an elder or senior so it will be nice to give them a bag they can keep for each game to shade them selves. We see them using newspaper, T-shirts, boxes etc .... It hits 110 degrees easily and any shade is a life saver.

11. haha nice find man, and all those excuses are smart!

12. How would one address this bag, anyhow? Is it a "thermal bag?"

I will probably stop at my local store in a bit. I have a roll of flat Mylar right now, but I'm wondering if these bags would be easier to work with and/or more efficient due to the bubbles. Anyone know?

I was thinking about the flat mylar laid down with ripples in it (unintentionally) vs the bubbles which will always reflect some of the light back to the plant at each bubble spot, no matter the ripples.

Maybe I'm being a bit too OCD about it :p

13. where would one find mylar normally?

14. iClone, you rock! Definitley +rep for this

I'm planning a small one-plant grow and there's hordes of pet shops around so I may be in luck.

Great thread.

15. #16 sidecar88, Aug 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2010

That's Exactly what it is. It's purpose is to keep fish and other temp sensitive critters cozy for shipment.

It won't just be petsmart that has them but any petsmart like store.

My live coral shipping excuse worked well.

I dwell in the SW critter keeping so thats what I came up with.

Just use your imagination.

16. ok, so I just went to a PetSmart and the kid who works in the fish area (that's where someone else told me to go ask) said to come back Wednesday, because that's the "fish day" which he says is when they get a bunch of those bags. Not sure if it's the same at every store, but figured I would post that. Good luck!

17. Right on man .... very cool and thanks for the rep too.

Right on ..... nice to know about the other shops.
    And live coral .... whoa ... that must be cool.

Yay .... Cool deal. So if you got 10 of them and cut them open you
    would cover 120 sq ft. You can use them in 3' x 4' or 2' x 6' pieces
    or cut them smaller. These things are pretty thick. Prolly a 1/4 inch
    thick and easy to work with.

I guess I gotta heat test these things. Would be cool, pardon the pun,
    to use them to cover my ballasts. Or would that be a bad thing?

Hmmm .... now I gotta puff more to really think.

THe "wifie" brought 11 more home tonight. :hello:

18. Awesome bit of info......tho....in my case, i live an hour and a half from any petsmart or pet store....I looked online and found a place that sells Mylar Bags - Mylar Food Storage Bag 20in. x 30in. (5 mils thick) for a little over $1.50 a bag.....i ordered 2 to see if they'll work.....shipping was $10 but in my case, its cheaper than driving 3 hours.

just a thought for people like me who live in the hills (Deliverance song starts playing)

19. just went got back from petco with 15 bags thanks bro =]. +rep