440 watt PL-L CFL ultra stealth, stained hardwood sideboard

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by TejasIndoor, Apr 17, 2010.

1. #1 TejasIndoor, Apr 17, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
    Hi GC DIY'ers,

You may remember me from The Dank Tank, Ikea Stealth Dresser and DIY PL-L CFL efforts.

I'm back with another construction project. I've decided to build a new SCROG style, 440 watt PL-L CFL cabinet. The cabinet will look like a fine hardwood sideboard. The exterior will be sanded to a fine satin finish and stained. Contemporary brushed stainless steel hardware will adorn the outside.

[​IMG]

The inside will dimensions are 36" wide by 24" inches deep by 36" tall. The overall height will top out around 40" high. The overall width will reach 48".

Inside will boast 440 watts of PL-L CFL lighting. (8) 55 watt 2g11 base 4,800 lumen bulbs at 3000k color generate a total of 440 watts and 38400 lumen. The lights will feature Mirro precision reflectors behind the bulbs. 4 Fulham Workhorse 5 ballasts will provide the power.

The entire lighting array including the bulbs and reflectors will be mounted to 1" box aluminum tubing fashioned into a square. The entire lighting rig will be capable of moving up and down to compensate for different plant heights over the course of the flowering cycle.

The four lighting ballasts will be mounted in the ventilation chamber housing the fan and filter.

[​IMG]

The roof of the growing chamber is perforated with (30) 2" diameter vent holes. The top most chamber gives way to a 6" inch diameter intake leading to a Solar and Palau TD-150 (300cfm) inline extractor fan and 6" inline carbon can style filter. The inside of the chamber housing the fan and filter will also be lined with Dynamat sound deadening product.

This fan, filter and insulation combination should be silent. Mounting of the fan and filter will be done using vibration deadening clamps.

Fresh air will be drawn in through the floor of the flowering chamber through (3) 8" x 8" light tight darkroom louvers.

I'm going to use wire shelf decking above the darkroom louvers to hold the coco buckets for my SCROG style screen. I think 4 bushy plants should fill that screen space nicely.

With careful training into the screen and short distances between the plant tops and the lighting array this rig could produce 330 grams of quality, dense gorgeous cannabis every 60 - 90 days.

I intend on writing a detailed list of all materials, hardware and parts to assemble this cabinet. Detailed instructions for construction will be drafted and published here at Grass City.

Below is a photo of the drawer pulls

[​IMG]

So what do you think Grass City? Is the world ready for a furniture grade, contemporary, hardwood stealth sideboard cabinet?

2. Here is a photo of the style I'm emulating. Mine will sit on the floor instead of having legs.

[​IMG]

3. looks pretty sweet dude, can't wait to see it come together. i checked out your DIY PL-L thread, and i'm thinking about going that route instead of a UFO. quick question though, do you think those louvers will provide enough airflow? i just picked up a td-100 for a small stealth build i'm doing, i'm just curious if those louvers might work for me too

4. Construction has started. I've decided to start building the bottom shelf assembly first. I cut one sheet of 3/4" 24" x 48" pine panel down to 24" x 36". Next, I cut two 24" of 3/4" x 1.5" poplar firing strip. The last cut was a 34.5" length of 3/4" x 1.5" poplar firing strip.

I'm gluing the pieces together under pressure. I'm practicing this technique along with setting and counter sinking finishing nails.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. #5 TejasIndoor, Apr 22, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
    Gluing the second edge onto the bottom shelf assembly.

[​IMG]

6. What happened to this build hope all is well

happy growin PEACE