Cabinet Grow

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by what is high, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Hey Everyone,
    I just built a new stealth cabinet to grow in. There are 2 levels that will ultimately be used 1 for veging and 1 for flowering. Right now I have 2 veging plants in one level and some sprouts of ICE in the other (they arent looking too hot though so if anyone has any suggestions feel free to throw them out there). I am using 6 CFL's in each layer on a separate timers. The walls are covered in emergency blankets (silver mylar) to reflect light towards the plants. All permanent seams are sealed with a latex based caulk. For ventilation I am using 2-4 inch duct fans. The one in the bottom layer is an intake, and the one in the top is an exhaust. These are keeping the cabinet around 80-85 degrees with the lights on. I also have 2-4 inch table fans hanging from the walls for air circulation within the cabinet. If anyone has any comments or suggestions please comment. I would also be willing to share a more in-depth how to if anyone is interested.

Attached Files:

2. #2 oceanbluefree, Apr 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2010
    Where did you find the light bulb fixture that plugs right to the power strip? I could use some of those. The two vegging plants look nice. Do you monitor ph?

3. You can pick those adapters up at pretty much any hardware store. They are called lightbulb socket adapters or something along those lines. cost about a buck. If you use them though make sure you wire them to the surge protector somehow or they tend to fall out. I have a soil tester that i use to monitor pH. I dont know if thats the most accurate reading I could get but its all ive found so far.

4. Cool, I just got a PH pen from ebay last week for like $20. I read on GC that it's a must have. I also bought some PH down from my local hydroponics store here. You can find that on ebay all day long also. Water should be around 6.5 ph I've read. I've got the day off tommorrow, so I'm gonna hit up the hardware store for those lightbalb socket adapter things. What kind of drainage holes do you have in the seedling cups? Is it wet soil or damp?

5. That sounds pretty cool ill have to look into one of those. What ph do you keep your soil at? Those adapters work really nice, i just wish i had a longer power strip to plug more into. I just have 4 small holes in the bottoms of the seedling cups. I feel like i may have put too much perlite in the soil though because it tends to be fairly dry. I tried covering up 2 holes on the bottom of each cup with duct tape to try to keep it a little bit more moist but its not really helping. Any ideas?

6. I found those adaptors on friday. Home Depot had them for $2 a piece, so I got three. I was looking for a longer power strip also! I'll probably use your idea with the power strip, but will add another one for more additional lights. I try to keep my soil around 6.5 ph. My tap water is 7 ph. I've been letting the water sit exposed to the air 24 hours before watering the plants, then adding the ph down. I heard lemon juice can be used to bring ph down also. I'd like to read more about that one. I read that you can't overwater, but you can overfeed (nute burn). Young plants put tons of energy into their roots also. It may not look like much is going on, put in the soil the roots are growing like crazy. One or two small holes are ussually ok. I save all my pots from the garden centers. Even small ones have 4 small holes consistently. How big is the size of your cups? Maybe you want to repot to a larger pot?

7. Hey WIH, just poppin in to say hey. How those plants doing?

8. Hey whats goin on? Sorry I havent responded in so long, Ive been pretty busy. The plants are doing well, except I think that one is a male and the other is either female or hermie. Im posting some pics on here and in a different thread so maybe someone will either be able to confirm that or hopefully correct me, since im new to this. How did those socket adapters end up workin out for you? I also would recommend some lightbulb Y adapters for the socket adapters so you can put 2 bulbs in each plug.

Attached Files:

9. You need some clearer pictures if possible, I think i am seeing two males honestly. Males can produce pistols as well but they only produce one and then a sack. take closer pictures of the node. [​IMG]This plant is a female for reference

10. Damn that sucks! It was only bagseed though so i half expected that to happen. Ill try to get some clearer pictures on here of the second plant, but i have a feeling its not gonna be good news after seeing your picture. I appreciate the help

11. Good news, The other mature plant was a girl :hello: I took some pictures today of her so ill be post them along with a couple new ones of the ice plants. The buds on the plant seem to be growing super quick. It seemed like they doubled in size last night. They have nice long white hairs too. If bagseed can look this glorious i cant wait to see what the ice will look like.

Attached Files: