My new Grow Trash Can!

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Vexus, Sep 15, 2008.

1. I went to walmart and bought a big trash can.

I am running 4 150 watt CFLS and a carbon filter on the bottom exhaust.

Tips/suggestions and what do you guys think?

Sorry about the poor pics its dark in the room.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. True dedication rocking the computer fan, +rep

3. lol they are actually 4 inch inline fans from home depot.. I connected them to computer power cables though. :)

4. you NEED to paint it white

5. looks pretty cool man. I think you are refering to the incandescent comparable wattage on the packaging, with the wattage on those bulbs. They look like the 26 watt bulbs. Depending on how many plants your planning on growing that may not be enough wattage but If you've only got 1 plant about 100 watts should be enough to make it grow. I'm gonna do something like this with a rubbermaid container for clones. what are your temperature & humidity at? I agree with Iheartwhitney, you do need to paint it white in there. You need some kind of reflective surface covering and mylar would make it too hot (I think) being in a trash can with little airflow. Good luck with the project and keep up the good work. :smoking:

6. Plug those damn holes! It definately needs to be light proofed mang, youll need to make something for those fans too. Nice idea for a few small plants, I saw another post where a guy did a scrog in a trashcan but it was outdoor and he had 3 plants in there I believe. I think ur max would be 1-2.

7. ya dude. you dont really have 600 watts of light like you think. you got a little over 100. Black is bad.. paint it white or get mylar. Plug your holes..u dont want light escaping(or entering). and umm... not very stealthy either. looks like a hella high tech trash can that I think would attrach ANYONES attention. like ... "wtf is that?"

8. yeah or mylar that asap

9. haha yea for sure or that deff isnt enough light it will increase it so much if u use mylar

10. wow, very creative man.

11. Put a door on the side to get to your plants easyier.

12. they arnt 150watt cfls, thats the equivilant wattage, you have to state actual watts used when talking about growing:wave:

yea it looks great dude, defo get mylar or some panda film

13. wow, that looks like a spaceship man! :D
    Really cool, great idea. But get some mylar, and I wouldnt use a too big lamp hehe.

14. IS it really that nessecary to get it painted white inside? When I have 2 bulbs on the sides as well?

I will also plug those holes asap. The temps are good when my room isn't 80+ degrees by itself thats why this will be good in the winter. At moderate temps in my room its about 70-78 degrees with 40-50 humidity in the box.

15. yes paint it white or use spray adhesive and adhere mylar all around the bin. It will reduce allot of light loss = better plants

16. Man, will you pimp my trash can too???

17. fucking sweet man! i think ima copy you! +rep

18. lol Just remember its not really plausible to grow more then 2 plants in this thing.. its not easy to access the plants either but its doable. Good luck if anyone tries to attempt this its not hard but it will take some time. :)

19. Mylar.

[​IMG]

Use it or prepare for dissapointment.

And you wont want to grow more than one plant unless you grab some more CFLs. You can hang something like Knee Green's CFL fixture:

Other than that, seal the light leaks and you should have a solid grow chamber!

20. It is a lot easier to just use a metal trash can, but I have used plastic as well. The setup works. Good luck