Help with my grow room and DWC

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by crazy7604205150, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Well i have grown before and it turned out great until it was found and i had to get rid of it but now i have my own apt. so i wanted to give it a go. i have read lots and lots of hightimes, sunk, cannabis culture, weed world and all others and own about 25 and have decided to grow DWC this time.. i thought about making it more of a DWC with a aeroponic twist, but decided not to as it would make more problems and questions.

I have a cabinet that is 34 inch's long 21 inch's wide and 29 inch's high. i have a 2 gallon bucket with a hole cut in the lid and a pot with holes in it. i have sillica stone growing median but planned on haveing a small coco fiber potter inside the sillica stone and put the seed in a peat pellete i think there called.. well put the peat thing in the coco fiber potter...

I have 2 air pumps one is a single and has a stone and the other is a double but i have one hose hooked up to both for more air in one stone. so 2 stones total.. i have 2 cfl's both 23w i think 100w equvilant on a 18/6 cycle about 9 inch from where the seed is ganna be. For reflection i had to go cheap and get one of those things u put in the windshield of the car.. i have a small fan in there for ventillation.

As far as nutes i have super thrive, and was ganna use schultz plant food 10-15-10. and i had this Rootone rooting hormone i was wondering if i should is or is that just for cloning..

I Know im not ganna get much from it but i was trying to do it as a hobby and a lil smoke... but would like to try to get as much as i can and the best i can of course as does about anyone... i want to try and bush it out a lil because of the hight problem having maybe 19 inch's if the lamps are not on top..

i was wondering about co2 i have a small co2 tank.. for my paintball gun i was thinking about spaying in there every once in a while when i start to flower.. and i have another question... how can i make it so u cant see the lights from the outside.. as u seen in one of the pics...

Am i doing things right so far??? Any tips would be nice and if u want to tell me what im doing wrong then thats good too ..

Attached Files:

2. As for the Root nutrient I'm not sure.

The CO2 tank would be cool to shoot off in there yes.

To keep the light from excaping/coming in you could tape strips of cardboard over the cracks in a way that you can still open the doors. Or you can throw a blanket over it.

3. Slightly OT, but is that a Leopard Gecko or a snake in the top right above the cab(first pic)?

4. You could also get a board 2"x1" and the same height as your cab and nail or screw it in place in the center where the gap is between the doors on the inside of the cab of course. You would then be able to weather strip it to seal it if this is an option for you. Watch those temps, they are a killer and that extra heat will mean watching the water level in that bucket closely as the plant will be going through lots o water :smoking:

5. yeah i wasnt sure about the root hormone as well but wasnt sure if it would help establish roots from seed or if it was just for clones..

was thinking about getting some posterboard and making it overlap the openings by like 1-2 inch.. or getting a rod and putting some really thick black cloth ... im not worried to much about the light but stealth is always good..

and i dont know what to do about the heat in the cabinet... i guess i can open the doors everynow and then when the lights are on... but even with the lights off its like 87f in there... i was hopeing that if i keep the water at around 65f and maybe even keep a few frozzen gallons of water if i have to..

oh and yeah its a tank with leopard gecos actually i have to have cords for heating pad and such so it helps hide the fact i have cords going in my cabinet...

6. Ventilation is always somewhat of a bitch to deal with. generally means running your own ducting and usually a small crash course in some electrical work, but keeping temps low is very important.

I also noticed in the pics that you dont appear to have a small fan in the closet to generate a slight breeze in the cabinet. This light breeze will cause the plant to sway. The plant in turn will get a stronger stem and be able to support more weight. Even if you are planning to do some form of LST, SCROG, etc this is something you should consider. I'd hate to see a flowering bud break off the plant before its prime becasue the plant couldnt support the weight.

7. actually i took my fan out and was using it too keep me cool while i was putting the stuff in there and taking pics.. its a small 6 inch fan that has a clip that i clip on the side.. thnx tho for looking out.. yeah ive had a few ppl who dont know to do that and they get this plant with a very weak steam that u can tell is ganna brake at the first site of any buds...

yeah i dont know what im ganna do for ventilation.. i live in a apt so there is only to much i really can do... only idea is what i said b4 frozzen gallons of water and opening it every once in a while maybe put a bigger fan ( i have a 22") in front and air it out only thing is i have pets so i dont want the hair to get in there... yeah i just came home from work, its 11.30 pm and the lights havnt been on all day and it is 87 in there.... ganna be hard[​IMG]

8. Hey, nice grow you have. I suggest getting a few of your issue fixed before they cause you trouble. You might not be worried about light leaks but your plants are. During dark it must be dark, not dark with a crack of light, that gives you hermies. Also if your temps are causing troubles and the only way to keep them down is having the cab open thats not going to work. Once you start budding your going to get smell and having the box open your whole apartment will smell, a good chance you get busted twice. I'm in a small apartment, all is good when I have the cab shut but sometime I leave it open, come back home and the smell is strong. I've been told it can be smelled in the hallways once and a while. So yeah just don't want to see you getting busted man, do something with the temps or learn to live with them, don't keep the box open. Good luck man. :smoking:

9. yeah im trying to get it all fixed out b4 i really try to grow and get mad and ripp it all out.. lol ... and well as far as the light getting in im not soo worried about cuz lights out is at night and the lights in the house are out most of the time... but i will get working on it... and im not afriad of leaving the doors open.. my apt is not in hallways soo once the smell hits outside the wind takes it so not so worried about that.... ill let u all know how i decided to deal with it... thnx for the help so far tho .. any more would be nice..

10. well the temps outside the box are about 85f and i figure since i live in an apt i cant make any holes or any ventilation im ganna have to figure some out soon... so today i was thinking of a quick idea for now...

i have a yellow cat litter bucket with a black potting bucket sitting in the lid... the black bucket holds my air pumps.. i have 1/2' tubing with the air lines going thru them to protect them so ice dont pinch the air line.... the yellow will hold lots of ice (possible dry ice.. an idea) so the air pumps pull up lots of cold air then the already cold air then goes thru the tubbing into the bottom of the yellow bucket so it cools off even more and then out of the side of the yellow bucket to the actualy grow bucket...

at the same time the yellow bucket will cool the air around it .. probably ganna move the yellow bucket to the side with my fan..

the only thing about that is my freezer is now ganna be full of ice .. ( i have a 2 leter 6 tupperwear and 3 ice trays... i dont wanna have it full of this all the time....
    i also got a small water pump today to make a homemade drip system type thing.. i got more 1/2' tubing and linked the ends together to make a ring .. i then made 6 holes on the underside so water can drip out.. i have a valve plugged into the top with the water line coming out the side of the mesh potter....

i bought 2 Y addapters for my lights ... i bought a lamp kit... i a lamp from the house in there with 2 lights one red and the other blue both 25w "party lights" dont know if it is ganna be good or not but i been reading about red and blue lights but not sure when or how to use them so ganna read up some more first ... so now i have 3x 23w CFL's and 2x25w red and blue... and one empty socket.. but i might just switch out the red and blue and get more lights and have 6x 23w CFL's....

but with all the lights and without the ice in my other bucket the temps are at 108f ... im ganna try to take out the red and blue light to see if the temp changes .. but they dont get much hotter then the CFL's

had a Question would it be a good idea to use dry ice to keep my room cool and full of CO2 at the same time... maybe an ice chest so i can close it or install a fan on the side of an ice chest or something... idk i like idea's and i like to experiment ....

Attached Files:

11. Yea I'd ditch those red and blue incandescents. They are doing nothing for you, just adding heat and not enough light output to make a difference at 25w each.

Replace them with CFL's, just get one warm CFL and one cool CFL. For the same ammount of power usage they will give alot more light output. Probably be the same ammount of heat, but the CFL's might be a little less.

12. well i took out red and blue lights and using the ice method that i made and the temps are still at around 106 with lights and 84 without lights.. i just dont know what to do my seeds are ganna be craking open in a day or so and i need to fix this problem

13. Does that gecko tank take up the whole space on the shelf? If not then you could use a jigsaw to cut a square hole in the shelf you could install a pc cooling fan set to exhaust. To kill light coming in through the fan you could use a couple appropriate PVC 90 degree bends with the insides painted black. Something similar to this DIY:

http://forum.grasscity.com/grow-roo...ep-light-proof-mounting-axial-box-pc-fan.html

As it is now you have a sealed case with no way for heat to be exchanged with the rest of the apt air. That will keep your temps alot higher than if the fan is added. It will result in your apt being warmer but if you run the AC more than usual it should help. Hopefully you are at one of those places that pays for electricity.

14. thnx for the help but i could never cut a hole in the cabinet... lol my lanlord would kill me ... im trying to do this without destorying the apt.. i want my 700 deposit back when i move out which will be in about 4 months... i just replaced the red and blue lights and got 3 more CFL's.... so now i have 3x 23w and 3x 26w CFL's ...

15. CAN SOMEONE HELP MY TEMPS... my temps will all 6 cfl's are a whopping 111f.... with my fan running .... at night with all lights off it stays about 83f... i need to find a diy a/c or swamp cooler or somthing.... i need somthing cheap quick and effecent... i cant do any vent holes or anything cuz i live in a apt... can someone help me...

16. well tryied to check out both links but the first one dont work and the second one involves cutting a hole in the room ... i cant cut any holes.... i live in a apt and want my 700 deposit back..... im wondering if this cabinet is ganna work for me ... looks like the only way is to dish out some bucks and get a chiller or an ac unit... but i dont and wont have the cash for that...

17. You got a serious problem and need a serious solution. How stealth does the front of the cab have to be? you could get a piece of melamine board(or plywood, but the white melamine would be more presentable) and have it cut the same size as one of your doors and pull the current door so it could be put back into place as soon as you move. On this melamine board you could cut a hole(round or square) in the door to vent the cab from the top. This wouldn't be stealth but without venting this cab in some way you will not significantly drop your temps. Any cooler option that will drop the temps by 20+ degrees is going to have some form of heat exhaust that you would also have to vent from the cab.

None of the above will work for you if you are trying to go stealth. If you don't have guests that you are concerned of and if you don't have to worry about apartment employee visits to spray for bugs or change your air filters this may be your only option.

Take a closer look at how that shelf is mounted above your cab. Is it nailed or screwed down? Its probably painted in but a sharp razorblade could correct that. Consider pulling the top shelf and replacing it with melamine or plywood and considering the fan hole behind the gecko terrarium I suggested earlier. When you get done growing pull the shelf and replace the original.

I really think these are your only options really. That heat has to go somewhere and venting is the only thing that will really drop your temps.

18. Hey bud, I checked out the link you were talking about. It doesn't work when you click it the first time, but when you click the text in the browser then hit enter it works. This DIY chiller is great bud, lowers temps pretty good.