4ft9in x 2ft4in x 6ft7in SOG stealth grow room

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by dirtykidsnation, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Alright, this is going to be my first grow room design. Please do not be gentle as long as the criticism is constructive and the advice helpful. Now sit back, take a puff, and read on! Lemme know what ya think!
    My plans are to create a 3 chambered growroom nearly undetectable through smell, noise, and light, and to be able to have a sea of green operation inside. The three separate rooms are a mother/clone/ and vegetative room, a flowering room, and a air purification room. The dimensions for the entire grow room is going to be 4ft9in x 2ft4in x 6ft 7 in. This will be a hydroponic setup as well. I will
    [​IMG]
    The Mother Box:
    [​IMG]
    Well, time for the mother box. The dimensions will be, 2ft5in x 2ft4inx 5ft 7 in. The Hydroponic system will be a drip feed system in about a 2ft by 2ft bucket that drains into a reservoir sitting beneath it. For the lights I will be using two 2ft T5 lights hanging width ways held up by a pulley system. There will be a passive intake air vent on the bottom left hand corner. To pull air out of the room will be a squirrel fan in the top right corner suspended by bungee cords to reduce the sound it makes. It will be connected to ducting that leads into the vegetative room. I will be placing the plants in rock wool and upgrading in size when needed for the clones when popping into the vegetative stage. The mothers will be placed in buckets to support their size. For Nutrients I have no idea yet. Recommendations on nutrients would be just amazing. The walls will be covered in mylar to help increase the light that reaches the plants. I believe that will be it for the Mother room. For clones a small propagation dome around 2ft will be used till strong root system formed so that it can be exposed to full nutrients same as mother.
    The Flowering Room:
    [​IMG]
    Now for the flowering room! The dimensions for this one will be 2ft5in x 2ft4in x 6ft7in. The hydroponic system will be a ebb and flow. The tray will be filled with hydroton so the roots have something to attach to. The tray will be about 2ft by 2ft and the reservoir will be beneath it. The light will be a 400 watt HID with a reflector with a glass layer between the light and plants. To pull air from the room will be another squirrel cage fan again suspended by a bungee cord or hooked directly into the wall in the top left corner. (how to choose will be stated later in a question for you guys to hopefully answer for me.) Again, a passive air intake vent will be placed on the bottom right so that fresh air can reach the plants. A wall fan will be connected to the wall (very small one) to keep air flowering over the plants and keep them cooled down and so that no air settles down along the leaves. Again the walls will be covered in mylar to help increase the light reaching the plants. Again nutrients to use have not been decided upon and suggestions would be amazing. If not right away, then soon, a CO2 injector will be placed in the room as well, but for now the fans will have to be enough.
    Air Purification Room:
    [​IMG]
    The purpose of this room is to house the ballast and to clean up the smell from the plants. The dimensions of this room will be 2ft4in x 2ft4in x 1ft. The passive outtake fan will be placed in the top left hand portion of the room ontop to keep the vent secret. (Alright, my question for the suspended bungee cord or attached to the wall squirrel fan will be explained here. I want to use a carbon filter and I want to suspend the squirrel cage fan by a bungee cord and using ducting work to push the air from it to the de-smellifier room. Now if I attach the carbon filter to the ducting will the air be strong enough to push through it and the carbon filter, or no? I do not want nor have the room for a huge fan so it will be one of the smaller models. So my question is, to be able to make use of the carbon filter, does my squirrel cage fan have to be directly connected to it, or can it be connected to at most 2 ft of ducting and still get air through? Now to continue) A carbon filter will be attached to the wall connected to the flowering room. A ozone generator will be hung on the wall to zap the air before it leaves the de-smellifier chamber as a precaution.

For those slightly confused on the process of an airflow here is another picture of it.
    [​IMG]
    Now for my questions to you.
    I am looking at a decent thick wood to use as walls/floors for the growbox. Any other suggestions for what I should use?
    What Nutrients to use for both the Mother/Veg and Flowering room?
    Is a 140cfm Dayton squirrel fan strong enough to push through at most 2ft of curved ducting and a carbon filter so that it can be supported by a bungee cord to reduce noise, or do I have to attach it to the wall so that it can push through the carbon filter?
    Thank you for reading this and all suggestions made. I will be checking this thing daily, even more then daily so if you post I will certainly reply.

I would like to thank Jorge Cervantes for his Marijuana Horticulture Guide, and also Mr. Green for his inspiration on the drip feed/ebb and flow SOG setup in I Grow Chronic.

2. I can't wait to see what this looks like when it's all set up and running. This sounds like it's gonna be sweet. Great job bud.

3. Hey dirty I can make a suggestion on plywood to use. I would go with 3/4 Birch it is expensive like 60 bucks a sheet but it is cabinet grade so the exterior will make it appear to be a nice piece of furniture and it does well with moisture. If you get some contact cement apply that with a roller to your plywood get some mylar or sunleaves ultraflect and pre cut it to your plywood roll on the contact cement on that also and you will have the cleanest interior you have ever seen. If you want to afterwards you can caulk the inside as well and you now have a light sealed box and if anything spills it won't go anywhere.

4. Chronitron: Thank you. It's actually gonna be a while till this thing is built because I'm very tight on cash at the moment. Just move. But anywho, thank you again. When I do begin to build I'll continue it on this thread though.

Motorhead: Thank you bro! Alright, so, 3/4 birchwood. Also, for the contact cement, when applying, do I apply it to the mylar side that is showing, or just to the piece between the wood and the mylar. Sorry, your post made it sound like I put it on the outside to. :p Also, for the caulking. Do I apply it to the outside or inside? Obviously I'm terrible with tools and construction. I have the easy stuff down. Dad use to build stuff, but beyond using a screwdriver and hammer (which is just about all I'll need for this, and probably a drillbit for a few holes where needed) I'm hopeless. :p Thanks again for the help.

5. its going to be a nice setup , you can see that youve thought about it first good plans mate. GOOD LUCK WITH THE GROW.:cool:

6. Nice plans just thinking you may need to install back draft units for the passive air in to get the balance right between the two rooms as the air in the flower room will be less dence than the veg side. But build her first run it then you will be able to play about until you get it right. When you put the room together put your sealant between the joins and Yep I agree Birch ply is OK or you can always use MDF. If you use veneered MDF you will get a nice looking box on the outside to. I found that if you draw the air in from the floor and make a skirt under the bottom of the box (Put the box on 3 intch legs) this will stop any escaping light from the air intake.

All the best there looking good:smoking:

7. Lung Room will need to be bigger. I highly suggest building around the lung room/ventilation room's capabilites especially by ensuring you get the correct size vortex fan and carbon scrubber for your rooms total demensions. Then set up your veg/flower room with the remaining space.

Carbon scrubbers can be hooked up as far as you want from the fan as long as it is connected with flex tubing and taped/sealed at each end. Silver HVAC tape is best.

Smell is one of your biggest, yet most overlooked enemy in a stealth operation.

Like your approach, thinking it out instead of haphazardly jumping in and then redesigning your room 10 times, argh. Been there! :eek:

We need pics when ya start!

8. Looks good! subscribed, when do you plan on building please take pics