Feasibility of Solar Panels for Hidden Grow Room setup

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Stoned Engineer, Jun 5, 2007.

1. I've never grown before, so the idea below is conjecture. It is subject to modification based on the input of others who have grown weed.

I know not the cost to really start a growing operation, but I'm going to give some basic input on a renewable energy system. It will be subject to modification as I recieve input.

I basically want to design a fully renewable energy powered marijuana growing system that has a payback period of < 4 years.

I know how to work with solar/wind power and electrical components as well as design them, you guys know how to work with weed. As suggestions are made in this topic and as I learn about grow setups, I will compile a design for a grow room, run through a cost analysis, figure out how much weed it will make, and when all is said and done, a new topic can be made detailing the setup as a whole and how to build/test it. I have Orcad on my computer and can run simulations of everything. Maybe even design some automated control systems and test their stability with the Routh Hurwitz stability criterion and do a few Bode plots...

We all like the idea of growing without and electric bill to worry about, and there are types of roof shielding available to prevent helicopters from peering in your home and detecting temperature with infrared cameras.

So lets help each other out. Below is a sample proposal:

=========================================

It's possible to generate electricity from a photovoltaic array for ~$.16-.22/kWh, counting in inverter and flooded lead acid battery replacement costs. If solar panels were produced in higher volume, price would drop. Most areas in the U.S., coal is used to make electricity at about $.05-.07/kWh but the consumer is generally charged about $.10-.15/kWh. Solar panels have a rated lifespan of 20 years by industry, but in reality, can last over 40, which would greatly lower electricity cost.

Wind is cheaper than solar. Over the life of a small turbine, electricity can be made for about $.04-.06/kWh, around $.10/kWh counting inverter and battery. The problem with wind is that it only generates real power and not reactive power. This is easily solved by power factor correction.

Alternative energy is perfect for a hidden grow operation. I will elaborate why.

you don't want this grid tied, so it will need batteries and a DC-DC converter to charge them from the panels, and an AC to DC inverter to run your equipment off the batteries.

Unless you can find suitable LED style lightbulbs, the most energy efficient and cost efficient lighting in the long term for growing pot is perhaps sodium vapor. They produce about 100 lumens per W, so a 400W light would do about 40,000 lumens. If you have a small 2ft by 2ft grow patch for 4 plants, that's 10,000 lumens per square foot. Natural direct sunlight is about 10,000 lumens per square foot, but low light plants can thrive in 1,000 lumens per square foot environments. You don't want to burn the plants and want a relatively even light distribution, so placing the light about a foot above them will reduce this to about 2,500 lumens per square foot. Assuming the plants are about 80% at absorbing the light and the walls of the room are sufficiently reflective to allow this, that's 2,000 lumens per square foot. This is suitable.

We'd need about 18 hours of lighting a day for high potency plants that mature about 5 months in. This is 400W * 18 hr = 7.2 kWh per day for lighting.

Water and air pumps will run about 20 hours a day drawing ~20W total, for .4 kWh. Fans, another 20W for 20 hours for .4 kWh.

So that's 8 kWh of electricity needed each day for the grow op.

The U.S. receives the equivalent of about 6 hours of direct sunlight a day spread over the duration of daylight, more in the summer, less in winter. 8 kWh / 6 hr = 1.333 kW system needed. This is not yet factoring battery, inverter and DC-DC converter efficiency, so this number will later be modified.

DC-DC converters are about 90% efficient and in the neighborhood of $1 per peak watt. You'd want something at least as large as the panel setup.

The batteries, you'd want at least enough capacity to last 2 days, in case the weather is not favorable to sunlight. Flooded lead acid batteries are the cheapest and most cost-effective option for this type of operation. You can buy Trojan T105s, rated to 225 AH at the 20 hr rate and 6V nominal, which is 1.35 kWh storage each, for about $75. They are about 80% efficient when charging and will last about 5 years in this application.

The inverter will cost about $.15 per continuous watt. You'd want one large enough to to run all loads at the same time continuously, so that's about 500W, or a $75 inverter. Xantrex makes a 500W cont, 1,000W peak inverter for roughly that price. They are about 90% efficient.

So a 90% efficient inverter means you need a battery pack that can supply 16 kWh for two days, divided by the .9 inverter efficiency. So that's an 18 kWh battery pack, or 13 batteries. Which is $975 for batteries.

The DC-DC converter will need to be large enough for the panel setup and to account for battery and inverter losses. 1.333 kW / .8 / .9 = 1,850 W. That about $1,850.

Solar panels are about $4 per watt. You'd need an array large enough to account for DC-DC, battery, and inverter losses, so 1.333 kW / .9 / .8 / .9 = 2,000W. That's $8,000 in solar panels.

So lets tally it up. That's $11,000, not yet counting the lighting, pumps, fans, and the rest of the grow op setup. Add about $1,000 for that, as sodium vapor lighting is not cheap.

So $12,000 or so.

This may be a huge sticker shock at first glance, but 2ft by 2ft grow space is enough for 4 plants, which will yield about 1.5 oz of weed each, for 6 oz total. If the weed is of decent quality(lets say, 'mids'), which it probably will be with 18 hours of light a day to have a long growth rate, it will fetch about $300 per ounce, $1,800 per harvest. Subtract about $1,000 every five years from your profits to replace the batteries, another $500/year for miscellaneous equipment replacement. Assuming 5 months every harvest, it will break even in about 8 harvests, or 3.5 years. Not too shabby. After that, you will keep reaping in profit, and perhaps spend $1,000 to replace the batteries at the 5 year mark. After the break even point, you're making roughly $3,620/year in profit from this grow op with the solar setup having paid for itself by the 3.5 year mark.

This doesn't include a discount rate, so adjust these numbers for inflation accordingly if you want exact figures. Differential equations are your friend, but either way, this is all in 2007 dollars without a discount rate. If you smoke your profits, you will have to adjust the figures accordingly as well.

If your area is suited to it, you could get by much cheaper with wind turbines. But you'll definately want a larger battery bank than two days electricity storage!

The cost of entry of the solar setup may be daunting, but an experienced grower that knows how to prevent failures can be rewarded nicely. A room dedicated with a 8ft by 8ft grow-op could really rake in some serious money and allow you to love comfortably off of the profits made, without you needing to work. But you'll basically have an entire roof covered with solar panels.

The only problem is, it takes money to make money with this method. Even one measly plant that will give about 1.5 oz a harvest is going to take about $1,500 in goods to get growing grid-free with solar and reliably. If you can manage to grow some good purple haze, the payoff will still be worth it at $500+/ounce. But you'll only be getting about 3.5 oz a year from planting a single plant each time, if you're good at it.

Price of the system can go way down if you're willing to grow less potent weed, say, using only 10 hours of light a day instead of 18. This dramaticlly lowers your power requirements. But it also lowers the quality of your weed if it matures earlier, and you'll get less money for it.

It's up to each individual grower to perform a cost benefit analysis to find a setup to fit their needs.

You could also grow far more plants than 4 square feet on 400W of light, but they'll tend to be lower quality. Cost-benefit analysis again comes into play when optimizing your system. Getting a payback of only 1.5 years may actually be possible, but 3-4 years would probably be more typical for an experienced grower.

2. hey Stoned Engineer,
    GREAT GREAT thread! got a few things i can help you with and a few things you need to know about growing these girls! First of i just want to say WOW for one you definatly know what your talking about with the electronics, just out of curiosity you majored in electrical engenering correct? alright down to the basics. i noticed you were talking about using less hours of light to grow "less potent" bud, using ten hours as your number, unfortunatly bud NEEDS at least 12 hours during flowering, no less. during vegatative growth you could drop to 16hr light 8 dark, which most growers use. but this still means you can drop your power consumption down during flowering. secondly, if you made a separate vegatative room, not only can you keep your flowering room seprate, you can use a nice t5HO florecent lamp to grow clones,small mother plants, seedling, and medium sized plants before you put them into flowering. a 98w 2ft setup works great for this, i actualy am using one now in my grow room. and another issue i saw with your proposal is you were talking about growing say mids.Novice growers often dont realise that great bud is very easy to grow, without seeds and very potent. these plants are all female and called sensamilla, i believe its spanish for without seed. So for one your plants will fetch a far greater payout,wich GC does not like you talking about so id discourage talking about selling or dealing. but growing is definatly not a problem here! another problem is you were talking about using a MV lamp. unfortunatly these lamps produce great lum/watt ratio, but do not have a very good light spectrum for growing the gonja. you would be far better suited going with a HPS lamp. they have a near sun like spectum, and are decent when it comes to efficency, since thats what you looking for in a solar/renuable energy grow. id love to bounce back some ideas with you if you want to pursue this! Your knowledge of electricity you cold be a legend on the gc and to growers worldwide! there are far more things id love to share with you but i must leave now, ill keep an eye on this thread! good luck and toke on!

3. damn i need some of the herb you are smoking.

4. I did 4 years of Solar energy research and design out of Arizona years ago and played with this possibility. The best way for you to pull this off is if you used something like Lowrider or a SOG setup or Basically force them to flower when they are 6 inch's tall by changeing the light cycle 12/12 early on. I am the first to admit anything is possible but after 4 of us Hammered this idea for like 3 months it Proved in NO WAY cost effective. If you chose to do this you'd be better off just buying it on the street....the bud that is. Good luck with your projet and I hope your Knowledge surpass's our's and you prove us wrong. JFYI- we concluded windmill power was a much larger possibility but the initial cost of one with 22 foot blade's was outrageous and it was region dependant.

5. Thanks for the comments Syrus. I'm going to read up on the spectrums these grow lamps put out and the spectrums that marijuana needs to grow properly. As for payout, lets just assume that I smoke it all then, and instead don't have to buy it.

If you can afford and find blueberry or NYC Sour Diesel, what I've got right now, then get some. I ain't selling mine.

Makes sense. You looked into it years ago, right? Just 10 years ago solar cost about double what it does today. Wind has been feasible for about 15 years, cost competitive with coal and natural gas. The problem is that it is less reliable due to shifting weather patterns, requires some maintenance due to rotating parts, and the generators used don't generate reactive power but only real power. However, with current technology, we could be hacing near 20% of our electricity from wind and consumers would save shitloads, but wind energy has less profit margins than sources like coal or natural gas and therefore the utility industry has widely shunned it. Less than 1% of America's electricity is wind today, which is sad.

It's not as expensive as you'd think, at least if you build your own rotor, generator, AC to DC converter, and other components. With a properly sized battery bank, you don't need no charge controller, and the rectifiers in the AC to DC converter are usually good enough to prevent stored energy in the battery bank from causing your homemade generator to act as a motor and waste your energy. I've built a wind machine out of spare car parts and NdFeB magnets and it worked. 500W(at 30 mph with 8 foot diameter blade) peak machine for ~$500, not counting batteries and other ancillary components. $1 per installed peak watt! If I got more data from testing it, I would have been able to properly size a capacitor and place it in series with the armature so that the resonant frequency of the circuit matches that of the cap, causing the machine to track the optimum performance curve for a given wind speed(Asynchronous AC induction generator). This would double the peak power output to over 1 kW at 30 mph. Then there's laminations that could be added to the stator to reduce eddy current losses.

A 22 foot diameter machine could probably be done for about $2-3k. The trick is to build your own. Depending on your electricity demand and grow op size, it would probably provide way more than you could ever use.

In low wind speed conditions, vertical axis wind turbines show their superiority over horizontal axis wind turbines. HAWTs usually stay stalled until the wind reaches > 10 mph or so depending on design, tip speed ratio of the blades, and other factors. VAWTs, while they use rotors such as Darreus or Savonius which are very inefficieint, have an advantage of high starting torque and can thus made usable electricity from very low wind speeds ~2 mph or so.

It's all about plotting the Rayleigh distribution of the wind speeds in your area, crunching a few integrals, and figuring out from there which design is the best for your situation.

I'll look into the feasibility of this a lot more. In the future, if it seems workable, I'll have to make a topic showing you guys how to build your own wind machines from scratch just for the purpose of growing the sacred herb. After all, we wouldn't be here if it weren't for the herbage.

Toke on man!

6. currently smokin from my last grow

dutch passion PP
    super skunk
    cali strain called blue dot
    and white widow

im good on bud.

7. my dad has 2 small solar panels probably no bigger than 2ftx2ft each, and he uses it to charge up large batteries (car-like batteries) and uses it to power various things. Each can slowly charge a big battery so theres 2 always charging and then 1 is usually in use switches em when it runs out so he always has atleast one going. often used to power the outside lights etc. ill have to take a better look next time im up there.

im no engineer but you could just get some sortve adapter from something similar to what he does to your grow setup inside and just switch the batteries eh? and its free
    or maybe only use it to power like 1/2 of your grow op, atleast it will keep electricity costs down.

8. I make all my own power up here on the "Hill" Solar ,Wind...(I build mine from a volvo disc brake) and a back-up Genny....you can only count on "Good Solar" power 4 hours per day unless you are in the desert in AZ....I have 22 L16's and that is not enuff to run a HID grow with all the bells and whistles.....How many Battries are ya' gonna have in yer' bank?
    And also ya' might wanna think CFL's.......Inverters and HID ballasts don't like each other.....I learned that the hard way
    Good Luck ....Bro :)

9. Hey engineer...

Couple of things which may save ya some cash....

1: Skip the batteries if you can get on the grid. Anything remaining is sold back (if avail in your area) thus you save on the cost of the batteries and still will get the max benefit of full sun during the day, as what ya dont use gets deduced from grid use.

2: Skip 400w and go with 250w HPS. This will significantly lower temps (thus eliminating need to run fans on high), is cheaper than 400w and obviously uses less watts.

3: Grow for personal use and dont sell - you'll make your money back ten fold by no longer having to deal with shady people, buying bag weed, paying market prices, etc.

4: Know your strains! Dial in your grow 100% and veg/flower time will be reduced. Shock the plants and it will be extended. Less time = less cost.

10. 5 months to harvest? Geez I hope not. You only need half that time. My whole cycle takes 70 days, start to finish with 4.5' tall plants.

Forget about the LEDs for now, nothing can match the growth rate to a HID lamp. It sucks that LEDs are not the magic answer we all hoped for. LEDs and florescent lighting will grow plants, but only to a small percent of the plants full potential. I wish it was not the case, bud sadly it is. I know a few folks who can get some good smoke from their floro grows. But it just falls well short of using a HID lamp.

Veging in a 24 hour on light cycle is faster then an 18/6 cycle in direct proportion. This is not a feel or an opinion, it is fact. So you have to find a way to power up 24/7 if you want to have fast cycle times (and we all want that).

I have friends who have two wind generators tied to the grid. They get cash back from the electric company (no batteries required). The good thing about being tied to the grid is you can get juice when you cant make your own (no wind or sun).

The eletric company does not give a damn how much juice your using, or if you spiked in usage. The reason the electric company is responsible for helping cops bust people is, they find the grower running a hot tap stealing the supply. The cops are not sifting through everyones bill to see who is up this month, nore would the state let them. People just say that because they see the Edison guy on the news telling how he helped the cops for the third time this month bust an indoor grow op.

They cant use infrared heat pictures as grounds for a warrent anymore. If your growing 6 plants, I would not worry about.

If I was king, I would required all new homes be built with wind generators or pannels. I don't understand why they don't do this more. I can't even put in a wind generator or solar pannels in my hood, it's against the rules. Very sad.

11. I agree R F skin ... But I Gotta give this guy his credit....He knows his stuff....I havent heard talk like this since I was in school...LMAO BTW when we did our research it was 97-99 so You are most right of the prices going down due to their being such a demand now on people not useing fossil fuels.. Unfortunately for me I can use neither setup now because where I live you cant count on the sun to come up and the only thing that blow's here are the chicks at the truck stop. Many Many Green thumbs up and I will keep a watch on your progress.

12. ok can you make a set up to power 2- 1,000 hps lights for 11 hr,s per day ? and if so i will tell you how much you can make in 56 days.hiypathedicly!!:D lol.. wright back . or you could find me at yahoo cthprobert

13. GREAT MAN!!

I am also planing te biuld myself a windgenerator....... Looked at all kinds of plans and DIY guides....
    Do you have any documentation on you build? i would love to get some first hand info...

I like to build things, but I can not wait to have something built.......

I was allready looking Chinese windgenerators....... but I am still for my build..... from scratch....

How did you build your blades? Wood or did you CNC milled them or did you make them in any other way?

I will +rep you and send you my email on pvt.

14. This thread is a wealth of practical information for this kind of project. I've been looking into ways to minimize costs and maximize profits and renewable energy sounds like a good investment. I've been researching these double-helix vertical-axis wind turbines that claim to be really efficient at low wind-speeds. In combination with solar pannels would make your demand from the grid be reduced to a trickle. I would much rather build the turbines than spend thousands having them comercially installed, but I'm not so confident I have the expertise to do so. I need to spend some time researching.

15. #15 PopsSoCal, Dec 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2009
    Vertical axis is nice but check your local code. In my area you must have at least 2 acres to put up a wind generator. but it would be nice to have a setup for a 2x4x7 personal grow tent with a 250w HPS doing solar? ( may need something that would automatically switch from solar cells to grid when storage cells run low , and with out any interruption in the grow operation is this possible? of course fhis would be hopefully portable if you have to move?

16. Sorry for ressurection, but I spent HOURS trying to do solar research....I give up...I'm guerilla growing this season...

17. Hi, Stone Engineer.. I read your posting about energy, I would love to talk to you about your ideas. If you could please call me at (901)331-9309. Mike

18. #19 evilaaron999, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2012
    ^ i remember a post on page one saying something about NOT dealing with sketchy people. first post?
    901 is an area code from Memphis TN in case anyone might wanna know :)

19. #20 unidentifiable, Feb 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2013
    "I basically want to design a fully renewable energy powered marijuana growing system that has a payback period of < 4 years."

.. Sounds like you basically want to avoid working at all costs. You're trying to find a hole in the fabric, and I don't blame you, but do you realize everyone of us has already thought of this and discarded the idea due to impracticality, given whats available to us and at what cost. This is nothing more than a bunch of wishwash nonsense spun off as some sort of calculated proposal.. What you should do is go get a job persuading people to do things, you would be good at it; see how everyone here was blown away? I'm not being sarcastic, Im an extremely blunt individual who doesn't feel the need to elaborate on anything I say. I could be wrong. Thank you.