New guy with a question on site set up.

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by mordgrow, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Hi, new guy here.

I'm planning on puting 4 or 5 of these together (maybe 1 as a resevore)
    http://forum.grasscity.com/general-...bucket-step-step.html?highlight=bubble+bucket

but i have a small area to work with, here's a few example shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was thinking of buying a couple of space blankets to line the walls and some overhead lighting..

with 5 gal buckets I’ll lose even more vertical growing room. the area i want to use is 4ftWidex6ftLongx4.5ftHigh (rough guesses from standing down there)

Just looking for some ideas on lighting, positioning, pretty much everything.. I'm new to this :)

i have a little bit of capital to throw around, but would like to keep expenses below 200-300 (if possible)

2. Here's kinda what i'm looking at for lights,

[​IMG]

I'm still not sure how to drain the buckets, or the drain schedual, or the nutrent mix, lots of reading to do.. waitin on seeds too. but progress is being made!

and a shot with my bubble bucket parts..

[​IMG]

I'm Thinking the floro tubes will be 4 floro banks with 2 cold 2 hot on both walls. still reading up onthe whole lighting thing. so this is definatly in the air..

The blue square area's are where i envision hanging space blankets (assuming they are the right size, or hanging spaceblankets and black plastic to enclose the area, reflective side in ofcourse)

The back two walls behind the floro's will also have space blankets there (i'll need a total of 5, lol i hope they are cheap! is there a shiny alternative any one knows of?)

I'm still not sure how to drain the buckets, or the drain schedual, or the nutrent mix, lots of reading to do.. waitin on seeds too. but progress is being made!

3. as for intake and exhaust i have ideas

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm in alaska so I can pull really freakin cold air from out side.. or stale air from inside.. maybe i'll put a one way check and pull air from my HRVC system, or do i want cold air to keep the box cool?

I've relized my first estimate at a set up costs was unrealistic, no problem, I just set that as a goal, obviously it will be higher, but i want to set this up right :)

4. Meter i'm gonna buy for the room:
    This is the TDS Meter:
    http://www.nehydro.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7_14&products_id=129

This is the pH meter:
    http://www.nehydro.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7_13&products_id=82

here's the media i plan on growing with:
    http://www.hydroempire.com/store/pr...d/245?osCsid=8173b81deb07d9b94c24ce9299e99c07

only problem is, that site is super expensive on shipping, anyone know of a good alternative?

here's the lighting i decided on:
    [​IMG] Lumatek System https://order.store.yahoo.net/ymix/...tor_ROW0_m_identity=zFKY1jpkTE43PF1Ou2uk5AA=&

• Wattage : 400/120 (+145)
    • Cord Set : YES (+25)
    • Reflector : 19 Inch Cool Tube Internal Reflector 6 Inch Diameter (+59)
    • Bulb : Hortilux 400 HPS (+48)
    • Timer : 1725 Watt Dual Output (+9)
    • Warranty : 4 YEAR
    • PCO Fogger : NO(+1)
    • Rush Item : NO
    • Double/Triple Brown Box : Double (+2)
    • ``````$289.01`````
    I'm going with two seperate vent systems. One for the cool tube and one for the grow space.

I'll plumb the cool-tube intake from outside cold source. Exhausting to my grow area via a 4" inline duct fan.
    [​IMG]

I'll plug this fan into the same timer the light runs off of.

Gonna have 2 intake holes at the bottom (4" or so with screens and light protection, either pvc joints or something else).And I'll hook this fan to a thermostat. Gonna use Ranco thermostats like the one below for the fan:
    [​IMG]

Big thanks to Rumpleforeskin and chimera for basicaly EVERYTHING in this post :) (and the ones above)

I'm just tossing it all up here so everyone can benifit from my research and work :)

More to come! my seeds are doing well!:
    http://forum.grasscity.com/grow-jou...have-my-grow-room-set-up-yet.html#post1393456

5. Looking good, man :hello: Can't wait to see the end result :smoking:

6. Dream space for growing nice shit man. Although I can't help but notice you have bubble disks, do you have air stones too?

7. the buble disks seem to put out as much, if not more than airstones. so i'm gonna shoot for them, plus they give a better spread.

I only have 1 pump (though its a big one) and i'm goin to set up my buble buckets and do a dry run to make sure the air looks adequate (i'm betting it's an improvement, i like to call them circular air stones)

8. Here's the mom/clone room set up.. 4 48" 20w 6500k floro's for good vegin, red lines indicate the area that i will be walling off (basicaly a hollow wood frame of 2x2's with plastic stapled to it, the door will be a flap that is doublesided velcro'd )

[​IMG]

The area is lightless already so i need to either light proof my clone room or light proof my grow room, not both really. hopefuly lowes has some good thick white plastic to help with that (maybe a couple of layers)

9. Wow, it looks like it is going to be a nice setup. Just wondering, where is your grow room located? Basement perhaps but it looks like a very little basement (height wise)?

I saw your grow journal and recommend using fox farms ocean organic soil, it is really high quality soil that you wont regret, I'm using it for my first grow and my baby is looking mighty healthy. If you like, check out my grow journal in my sig.

Good luck with your grow.

:smoking:

10. I'm not sure what you'd call it, a sub basement? crawl space? prolly crawl space the soil, you know i'm not really sweating it i i'll be transplanting them into a different soil then force flowering them to see sex so i can start my clone operation :)

BTW, my earlier money guesses were WAY off.. heh, i'm up to about $600 in this project and i dont even have my 2 400w lights yet

11. You going digital with the lights?

12. I dont see a reason to go digital. right now i'm looking at ebay to save some money

13. someones got some work to do... find a nice sativa and sit your ass down and get to work.

14. still waitin on the mail man for some parts & still bobbling back and forth on light choices., but the girls are barely startin to grow (well i hope they are girls.. heh) germination is going well, i've recently hit lowes so i have supplys to finish the clone/mom room & i'm gonna get some work done tomrrow.. all i had access to was clear plastic, so i'm going to spray it with some metalic spray paint & hope for the best.

for my SCROG set up I'm only going to go up 10" above the top of my buckets (still looking for a suitable screen) hopefuly thats not a horrible idea. someone stop me if it is :confused:

15. cool tubes for only $59 added to your lights is a great idea. cool tubes are awesome for growing, they can drastically increase the ability to grow bushes!

SCROG is a good idea for sure, run with it. Chicken wire nailed around a wood frame makes a good screen.

Mylar is cheap on ebay, big rolls for like $30, i would build a 2x4 frame for it and wrap it with mylar sheets to make use of all the light you are going to provide, instead of wasting it.

Im going to construct 4 BB's in a few weeks, once i get my Hollands Hope seeds. Im gonna get everything ready and come spring im gonna germ them. Gotta chill out for a few months.

Im not going as in depth about it as you are. Square 3-4 gallon buckets and a sweet air pump with 4 different tubes and simple air stones. Im gonna have spare buckets and change the whole reservoir instead of draining it, i think...

16. From experience, your going to need to drain your resevior in place, root mass gets to big, plant gets to big and if you use any type of training it gets in the way. I tryied the full switcharoo, but only once, what a headache!!!!!

17. yeah, i plan on using another small fountain pump to drain, and fill. I wont have the vertial room to do a full switch for long

18. just took the plunge and ordered two full digital Lumatek 400W HPS systems

(from here http://californiahydro.stores.yahoo.net/noname.html )

with 2 19"long 6" diam. Cool tubes

Total was about 600 bucks with shipping... OUCH! going mylar shopping on ebay next!

19. ok, well i've decided that my location is a little too cramped for anything really fun, so here's the new area i'm looking at using, its an unfinished closet in an unfinished room of my house, i figure I'll toss up a doorframe and dooor, then build my grow room in there, dimentions are 8' tall 6'6" wide 5' deep. there are two holes the floor, one for the heat vent and 1 for, well shit i dont know what, maybe it was going to be a bathroom, heh. I want to use the unknown hole for an exhaust vent, and improvise the heater vent to be intake.
    anyone have better ideas about this area? I don't know of another way to get fresh air in.. I can do some exaust tube work to pull air from up top and bring air in from down low.. i have 25 ft of mylar coming (should be enough) and i guess i'll just hang my cool tubes off of hooks on the celing with chain?

anyway, imput is apreciated. sorry that the picture is cluttered, trying to get it all in on one image.

[​IMG]

Thanks!

20. Instead of going with 6 plants, I think I'll do 4 plants with an extended veg cycle. the 5 gal buckets should be large enough to support a good root structure so i can grow some big gnarly plants that should hopefuly produce some big gnarly buds!

Here's the general idea!
    [​IMG]