First grow cabinet help plz

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by LAUN, Sep 13, 2012.

1. #1 LAUN, Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2012
    Hey guys,
    So I am attempting my first grow within the next week or so.. I found a cabinet with the dimension 5ft tall 3ft wide and 1 ft and 1/2 of depth... I figured I would start with 2 plants.. Do you think I could fit more than 2? What do you guys think?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. How wide is it? By looking at the picture, it can't be more than 3 feet wide. If thats the case, there would be no point in growing any more than 1 or 2 plants. 2 plants would probably be pushing it while there would be no point in adding a 3rd.

3. its gunna be tighter then a virgin if u put two in there

4. Sorry I made a typo.. Yes it is 3 feet wide.. Would it be best to have one big plant or 2 smaller plants that I would begin to flower when they reached a foot and a half

5. I would do two. I'm doing a 400 watt closet grow myself right now which is 3 feet by 16 inches. I will admit that the two plants will eventually compete for space, but on the other hand, I will have two different types of weed when its done. They will both provide a decent yield, but I like having variety when possible. You can have one huge plant or two smaller plants. If it was me, I would make sure that I got two different dank strains so that I can have those two different flavors.

6. I am looking at the a 400 watt hps myself! Amazon.com: Apollo 400w Watt HPS MH Grow Light w/ Dimmable Ballast + Air Cool Hood Reflector + Rope Ratchet and Accessories: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Do you have any pictures or advice for what size fans I should get

7. That looks like a pretty nice setup there that Amazon is selling. You won't go wrong with that. Most of them cool tubes seem to be designed for six inch ducting. I would use a fan similar to this for that. iPower 4" 6" 8" 10" 12" inch INLINE DUCT FAN blower HIGH CFM cool vent exhaust | eBay

The only thing about that reflector is watch out for how long it is. I got a similar reflector from HTG which is shorter (20" long vs 27" long) than this one and is still a cool tube. Reason is because you need room for your ducting also. Then I bought a light from this guy on ebay with just a basic reflector and then paired it with a cool tube from HTG. 400w 400 watt HPS MH Grow Light System Set Premium Kit Dimm Green House - iPower | eBay

That light that Amazon is selling is a very nice setup though as long as that cool tube isn't too big for your area. Otherwise you will love it.

I would pair that with a decent carbon filter such as this one. Phresh Filter 6" X 24" 550 CFM (701010) | EastWestHydro

8. Well all my ducting will be outside of the cab since I am exhausting out the window... Dont I need an intake fan and an exhaust fan? I was thinking off using pc fans

9. You just need one fan. If you want enough power to pull air through a carbon filter, then you need an inline squirrel cage fan like I showed you. Those pc fans and even duct fans designed for 6 inch ducting just don't have enough power. I tried a regular 6 inch fan on my carbon filter thinking it would be quieter. It could not pull enough air. Its best to have an inline squirrel cage fan and then tone it down with a fan speed controller from HTG. It will still pull much more air than a regular fan and won't be so loud. You also don't have to vent your air outside. Just vent it into your grow room or house. Once it exits the carbon filter, it will be scrubbed clean of any odors as long as you have a decent carbon filter.

10. Very true.. Dont you at least need an intake hole though? And I checked your grow it looks very nice.. I will be happy if I get anything half that decent. This is my first grow so Im going to take things slow and start off with 1 plant and then if everything works out I will make another cab for veg and then one for flowering.. I appreciate the help

11. My tent has two 6 inch ducts. I just have the ducting running through one of those holes. Other than that, tents include flaps which will allow air to flow through and you will also find small holes here and there which air will go through. The key is that you are sucking air out which creates a negative pressure. Then fresh air will find the best possible way of least resistance into the tent. Because of that your plants always get fresh air and you will never smell them outside of the tent since all of that air gets scrubbed clean.

Thanks for the comment on my grow. This is my 4th grow so thats why its as good as it is. My first grow yielded 3/4 of an Oz per plant at 3 plants on a 250 HPS. I have learned a lot since my first grow. Your first grow won't be the greatest as mine wasn't either. The thing about it is that its just fun and you learn in the process. Then the end is priceless because you harvest your bud and smoke it. :D

12. You would probably need to figure out something as far as ventilation goes for your grow area I guess I should say. Tents are lined with mylar and they have flaps which open up and are designed for air flow while keeping light inside. You will need to get creative with that thing probably and create some kind of vents that allow air to flow through while blocking light. Extra light going through any vents at night during flowering can be bad on your plants and possible make them go hermy.

13. I am not using a tent though. I am using the cab that I posted at the beginning of the thread. Yeah I just got tired off buying something that you can create yourself.. And things always seem to be better when you make them yourself anyway

14. Yeah I saw that. You will need to create some type of ventilation then in your case kind of like I mentioned in a different post. I just used a tent because its easier and I didn't really feel like modding anything. I'm mostly trying to speak from my experience but I do agree that you will need to create some type of ventilation. You just want to make sure that light is blocked for night time during the flower season.

15. I think I am going to cut a 4 inch hole at the bottom of my cab and then attach a 90 degree pvc pipe and then color the inside of the pipe black and then at the end of the pipe put some of this over it Amazon.com: Easy Gardener 1071 Weed Block Landscape Fabric - 6-Foot x 50-Foot: Patio, Lawn & Garden I found some in my garage the other day and it has holes in it so if I put a fan outside of the cab right next to the end of the pvc pipe it should start creating some ventilation.

16. You could go with three medium size autoflowers. They should do well in your setup and are nearly foolproof for a first grow.