making a cool tube..

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by littlegrower, Aug 17, 2006.

1. hey i got an 100watt hps security light bulb for my mini system.. i was wondering if i can make my own cool tube out of something simple like an old coke bottle or somethin. how many power supply fans do you think i would need? 4-7?
    watcha think?:cool:

2. Coke bottle will heat up and melt/sag eventually touching the bulb.

You will need to get glass tube....

The security light you have, does it have a lense cover that closes?? it should, this alone keeps ALOT! of the heat away.... Simply cut 2 inch diameter holes (one on each side) and afix some sort of duct/hose to them, one leading to air outside the growbox/area and the other outside the grow area with computer fan sucking the hot air out of the light fixture.

I have just set up a room for my buddy with 2 x 1000w fixtures, the hoods on the fixtures had a nice lip on it, i simply cut glass to slide in on the lip which closed off the entire fixture from heat getting outside of it, from there i ducted the 2 hoods together and used the same principle (one hose sucking hot air out of the hoods and dumping it outside while from the opposite end another duct to outside passively getting cooler unheated air into the hood.

This stopped :

1. Almost all of the heat from going in the room
    2. Using up Air conditioned air in the room for cooling of the lights.

The Temp in the room with the fresh air intake fans and exhaust fans on along with the lights not being done this way was 85F rising to almost 90F
    during the 12 o-clock midday sun.

Now the room with the lights fixed is steady between 76.3 and 79.2F.

I will post pics later on tonight when i get home, just never found a reason to post them up until your post.... Its large scale version of what your doing but it will give you a very good idea of what i did.

3. heres a quick drawing, but i will still post the other pics as well later today.

Attached Files:

4. find a hurricane glass tube..they use them on candles. they have 4" ends so you can fit 4" ducting around it. search hurricane glass on google.

5. does glass over the bulb effect lumen output?

6. I would imagine it would but not enough to make a significant difference

7. Hey i've been searching for a cool tube since that seems to solve all my temperature issues, but I can't find any that arn't $100. Is there a home depot or other product which uses glass tubes? I've tried to find hurricane tubes for candles but that's a no go. Also there is a plastic place near my home and I wanted to know if really thick plastic could work if it didn't melt or smell? Tap Plastics

8. the local resale shop in town has hurricane candle glass for like $2 each. fuck paying $100 for something you can make for $15

9. That's what I'm saying. I checked tap plastics and it's $13. I asked what temps would it melt at and he said 160-180 degrees. I have a 150hps and after having the thermometer at light level for 15 minutes after the light had been for 6 hours, the temps were 89-90 degrees. Would that plastic be safe?

10. How thick of plastic? Im guessing the plastic would be fine as long as you had a fan constantly sucking or blowing air out when the light was on. I wouldnt trust it though if the fan went out ..youre plants would be covered in hot melted plastic

11. That light gets way more hotter than 80-90f, your checking the room temperature, you have to check the temperature about 1/2 inch away from the bulb. trust me it will be WAY over 180F

12. Not meaning to hi-jack the thread, just didn't want to start a new one. I've got an Inside Sun 250 watt light and would possibly want to make a cool tube for it. Dier or anybody else, would I be able to use a high temperature glue and attach a hurricane lamp cover to the base of the light (red circle), then attach the hosing to that with a 80mm fan on the end of it? Would that do anything to cool the bulb. It generally stays pretty hot in my room, about 88, and I really want to bring those down to at least steady low 80's. Is this possible? Thanks for any help.

Oh yeah, as I live in a house with people that do not know what's going on upstairs and will have random assortments of other people in my room, ducting any air out of the closet will not be possible

Attached Files:

13. I thought I would post a pic of my 150hps cool tube. Just got it put together for a test. After running for 15-20 mins, the glass tube is barely warm to the touch. There is an 80mm computer fan sucking air out of the tube.

Attached Files:

• tube.jpg
      tube.jpg
      File size:
      68.4 KB
      Views:
  14. Great set up.Really wished i looked into building my own cool tube before buying one.Would have saved me a small fortune.

15. You can get bigger hurricane glass to make a cool tube from Walmart. I picked up 2 large ones last weekend for 13.95 each.

16. i love tap plastics, i get all my acrilic for modding computer cases there.:cool::D:cool:

anyway as long as u get 1/4 in. acrilic tube it will work for a cooltube, trust me ive tryed bending it (had to use a blowtorch)...

usally i use my heat gun for heatshrink and acrilic but 1/4 is to big for it:eek:

17. Hurricane lamp is a good approach, but the best DIY approach I've seen is to use a pyrex bake around tube, like this. It is designed for baking in ovens at hundreds of degrees.

18. I have a little 150 HPS on my mommies and am thinking about making a cool tube, but I think that the glass would make more than a little difference in the lumen output. Any comments? I like the little light, because I get real good growth on my moms (2 by 2 area). I would hate to start playing around and lose the ammount of clones that I pull now. :smoking:

19. Well I made mine. I used 4 inch dryer fan tubing and a piece of glass that I stole off of one of my girlfriends oil lamps (hey it fit so perfectly :p). It was so simple and the only hard part was taking apart the old one piece ballast. I took it apart, made the wiring alot longer, for starters. Then I put a computer fan on both the inlet and outlet. I figured cause they are small that 2 would be better than 1. One faces into the cab, is connected to the dryer duct hose, which connects to the glass tube, which holds the light. Then there is the other hose, with the other fan at the end, blowing out. I ll have to get a pic up, lol it sounds weird describing it. This is the first one I made, and it worked out alot better than I thought it would. :) :smoking: