First Grow - Afghan attic grow

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by hootchmaster, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Well, after 26 days of veg things are going well. I sure have learned alot

This is my setup

Temp: 58F-80F depending on outside temp
    Humidity: 40%-60%
    Medium: Fox Farm Happy Frog Organic soil (great stuff IMO)
    10 Afghan Indica seeds purchased from 420-seeds.com
    PH approx 6.5
    Light is a Sun Systems 400W HPS with a Hydrolux Super HPS enhanced spectrum.
    light cycle is 18/6 and I have an oscillating fan going 24X7

Started germinating Oct 28th in paper towels with distilled water in a warm dark place. 9 of them came through after 2 days and I planted them in 16oz plastic cups with holes poked in the bottom on Oct 31st (Halloween babies)

#10 took 5 days to germinate

after two weeks I transplanted to 10" pots. After only 8 days I noticed the growth was incredible (only nuted 1 time half strength FF Grow Big) so I bit the bullet and transplanted them to 14" pots. They weren't root bound but already had established nice roots throughout the 10" pots bottom

Haven't noticed any pre-flowers yet, hopefully soon. I am shooting for throwing them into 12/12 after 5-6 weeks in veg. Thankfully the Afghan is short and stocky because I really don't have that much height in my attic for anything really tall.

Will be using Tiger Bloom once they are into the flowering stage.

I have been adjusting the PH of my tap water after leaving it in an open container for 24 hours. It was roughly 7.5-8 and with just a few drops of PH down it drops to about 6.5

Any suggestions? How do they look? They are a little saturated with water right now from the transplant but I let them dry out completely before watering again. Surprisingly that FF Happy Frog is so rich I really haven't needed to add much nutes.
    Thanks all in advance :smoking:

Attached Files:

2. Lookin good keep the pics coming!:hello:

3. Lookin real sexy.. Keep them comin!

4. oh thanks for the kind words. I can't stop looking at them. I want to spend all my time in the attic these days. For some reason they make me feel good just to be around them. Honestly, I would have never thought I would have such a connection with plants. It's a lot of fun but I end up worrying about them all the time, Shit, you would think they were my kids or somethin. Does anyone else feel that way?

5. I'm thinking about trying afghan for my next grow so I'll be keeping an eye on this journal.

6. right on dude. all i can say about short and stocky is try to keep the lights low on the them so they dont try to stretch a whole lot. other than that i dont know what to say because i had a buddy with an afghani plant and it got pretty big (he topped and shit tho)

7. Know exactly what you mean. :p

8. Here are some updated photos at Day 30. I think I may have spotted a male preflower. Can anyone shed some light on this? It's the only one I've found out of 10 plants. Maybe thats a good sign...

Attached Files:

9. Hmm hard to see , if you don't see a couple hairs pop out in a day or so , it's prob a male.
    Plant's look great man , make sure no water is ever sitting in thoses little dishes under your pots unless it's a very very small amount that will evaporate quickly. Sitting water will cause horrible root rot. :D

K+ Nice to meet you and keep us posted

10. Yep the preflower looks under-developed like Hype said. You should be able to tell in a day or two.

11. All the time man, i always start looking at my babies and b4 i kno it 15-30min has went by, its ok tho...a little tlc wont hurt em.:D

12. Date 32 in Veg: New Photo's attached. I'm thinking of going 12/12 this week as the tallest is 17". What do you think, are they ready? Not even 5 weeks old yet, but I think they look pretty dam good. I just gave them the last veg feeding yesterday, FF Grow Big 1 teaspoon per gallon. I've been alternating straight waterings with feedings. In fact I only fed them one other time and then only 1/2 teaspoon per gallon as the FF Happy Frog soil was pretty hot.

Attached Files:

13. Anyone? I really need to know if it's time to flower????

14. i would say it's time to switch to 12/12 you have to remember that your plant is going to continue to grow when it flowers so now looks like a great time to start flowering. nice grow!:hello:

15. Yeah dude... do it. They will double in height in flowering - if you let them go much longer you will run out of room. They will bush out more too, but you'll be thinning the herd to make room so it all balances out.

Keep the updates coming!:smoke:

16. wow man, those look amaizing. great grow!

17. nice one subscribed

18. good job man. like the others said, definitely start flowering now due to room restrictions. i don't know what the climate is like where you are but if it gets cold, that attic is going to need either a heater or some insulated walls built around the plants and light. good luck!

19. Thanks, I just changed the schedule to 12/12 so here we go. Also, I just identified my tallest as a girl. Check out this pic, looks like a female preflower to me, what do you all think?

Also, I do have a heater up there. It was in the mid 30's last night and when I climbed up in the attic this morning it was around 59F so hopefully that is acceptable. Generally around 75 in the attic during the day

Attached Files:

20. Well, I'm 9 days into flowering, eliminated two males so I'm down to 8 plants now. I know that two are femail, the others are still an unknown. But the big girl is really starting to stretch out. I'm hoping she will end up no more than 3 feet tall, she is just over 2 feet tall now. Here are the latest pics. Enjoy :)

Attached Files: