First time stealth, headies bagseed. Quality assured!

Discussion in 'Marijuana Grow Journals' started by bouncyball, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Afternoon GC. I've never grown or cared for plants aside from a bonsai tree. I've been wanting to start a grow for some time now and I finally have the situation set to do it.

I've recently germinated and pre-potted 4 seeds. I have a stealth box being finished (3ft wide, 4ft tall, 1.5ft deep. mylar cover for the walls and currently four 23w 6500k CFL's on a custom fixture. :p) and they're in it right now. I'm doing this the first time after reading many posts and guides and such around the forums. I spent about a week researching and a week building.

Seeds 1 and 2 were out of a bag of headies we bought named Blueberry Haze. 2 was much stronger than 1. They are in some random starter soil that I rushed out and bought at 11pm from wal-mart. It seems to be fine quality but I'm very afraid that it's feeding them ferts and I will need to transplant asap. Let's hope not.

Seeds 3 and 4 are some generic headie/dank quality which were very eager to grow and had strong root tips in 36 hours. These are in MG Organic Soil (npk .10-.05-.05 .. that works, right?)

I plan on adding 12-4-8 plant food to them all in about 3 weeks .. 1/4 strength to start.

I need to run and get a fan today. The temp is currently 78 F and the humidity 49%. I don't have the door closed though. I also need my inline fan + filter. Haven't ordered!

Future plans for the grow: Cloning my females with a custom bubbler. :]

I welcome any and all feedback from what I've said here. I hope I've done the research and planning right. We should see some action by the weekend!

***PICS

DSC00113.JPG
    From building the box, adding weather stripping to all edge seals.

DSC00116.JPG
    Door on, sealing the box with sylicone caulking.

DSC00117.JPG
    Making the custom light fixture.

DSC00123.JPG
    Mylar down, door on, adding second door seal with quarter round wood.

DSC00125.JPG
    Seeds 1 and 2 in the oven. First night the box was in use!

****UPDATED THREAD CLIFFNOTES FOR FIRST TIME VIEWERS****

I started with 4 seeds but through some events and misfortune there is now only one living plant but it's looking great. I have 4 new seeds ready to start as well. 1 is confirmed Love Potion and the other 3 are from some strain of purple plant.

6/28/08 - LST-ing on the oldest plant. Love Potion is a week old and Purps are just sprouting! Switching to a bubble bucket type grow soon!

2. June 4

Added temperature and humidty monitor
    Added very light blowing fan

Filled bubbler tub with water and added 4 airstones to the pump. Placed in the box to help raise humidity and hopefuly lower temps.

Need to purchase my inline fan and filter
    Need to install passive intake+light trap.

Watered seeds 1-4 very lightly, heat from the lamps is evaporating moisture from the top of the soil.

3. Would you ever/ have you ever done a bonsai Marijuana grow? I'm extremely fascinated by bonsai grows and I've only seen a few bonsai MJ plants. if you ever do one PLEASE let me know. I love those little things!

4. What kind of bonsai grow?
    Are you talkin about flowering a plant that you bonsai'ed out after a past grow?
    Weird, but a good question. I thought about that doing that if my 1 Strawberry Kush plant puts out some good smoke, but after my high went down i figured it'll make more since just to take clones instead of risking getting hermies from the 3 light switches.

let me know whats up wit that, la8er:bolt:

5. I don't plan on doing bonsai with MJ. I ment that I have cared for a bonsai tree and nothing more as far as plants. That is a very cool idea though .. hurm. I wonder if that would just be something novel or if there is a good purpose for having tiny buds. :p

Anyways .. June 5

Notes:
    Borrowed roomates fan to put in the box overnight; quite large. Apparently the temps still rose a good bit. I think perhaps my sensor is faulty. I'm not sure I can believe that it's over 80deg with that fan going.

Todays goals:
    Need to add custom humidifier
    Need to add an exhaust fan for temp control
    Purchase Carbon Filter

Progress:
    --11 AM
    temp: 83 F
    humidity: 49%

Day 3.5 (84 hours) for seeds 1 and 2.
    Hour 36 for seeds 3 and 4.

0 growth on all seeds.

6. Seeds 1 and 2 nearing 5 days in the dirt now. No action yet .. I don't have high hopes for them anymore.

However, Seeds 3 and 4 are doing excellent! I was out last night and came back this morning to two of the cutest sprouts I've ever seen. Both of these seeds burst into growth nicely. Here are some current pictures of them:

DSC00131.JPG
    Seed 3, the strongest one in the batch.

DSC00132.JPG
    Seed 4, the sister (hopefuly) of 3.

The lights are about 5-6" above the plants. I'm keeping an eye out for stretching.

Temp is 84 F
    Humidity is 58%
    Soil is moist

I'm a little concerned with the temps .. but I still have no exhaust fan. I need to quit smoking and finish this box up soon.

7. Looks good so far. Nice to see someone who's done their research *before* they tried to grow lol. If that blueberry haze is anything like the Forbidden Fruit that I've grown, you're gonna love it :D.

8. nice little box ya got there.

the only thing i noticed is that you used that power strip to hold your lights. this should be fine right now, because i'm sure everything is new, but i've heard horror stories of those plugs getting worn, and the whole bulb falls on their plants, killing them. so get creative with some zip ties and make sure those bulbs cant fall down.

and get that exhaust fan. (gettin one myself today) it's only gonna get hotter when you add more lights, and i dont know about where you are, but here in so cal, the temps are rising fast.

GL with your grow, and thanks for researching everything first, im sure the experts here appreciate it as much if not more than i do (and i'm still a noob)

9. thanks for the heads up there. i wasn't aware of that and it seems like it could happen easily because of the heat!

i'll ensure that they won't fall somehow.

also i'd like to update. i put a larger fan in the box until my exhaust/filter combo gets here and plant 3 is showing its second set of leafs. :p

temp: 81
    humidity: 65%

i just watered both enough to get the top moist again. exactualy how much water should sprouts be getting. i just need to keep the soil moist 2 inches in, right?

10. Give them a good watering then don't water again untill the soil is completely dry. That's usually a few days later.

11. thanks. i just read that random sparse watering is worse than waiting too long between full waterings.

i need to put them in the full size pots tomorrow. i'm still deciding if i want to try ScrOG with this first one or not .. it all depends on if i order seeds

OH. seeds 1 and 2 are KIA. never had much hope for number 1 but 2 never sprouted .. no surprise really as they were months old left in a plastic baggie in a desk drawer. actualy, never thought i'd be able to plant them. :|

edit: on a side note does anyone use a silver surfer or likewise? i'm couchlocked. :smoke:

12. Woke up this morning to some horror.

http://forum.grasscity.com/general-...rout-fell-over-red-stem-heat-stress-help.html

Plant 4 had fallen over! Thread above covers more.

3 is growing strong. more new green from the new leaf set comming out.

edit: again i'm dumbfounded but the plant is standing on it's own strength. i propped it up for 10 minutes and i came back to show my roomate who just woke up .. it had stood up more and had no need for the support! :)

13. DSC00142.JPG
    shot of the little babies and you can see new leafs. :]

DSC00144.JPG
    the new lighting configuration. am i wrong to assume that more light = more growth when using CFLs? there are 6 26w in there right now. four of them are 6500k and two are 2700k.

i'd say the plants are an average of 3-3.5 inches from any of the lights

14. that i believe is the consensus; more light = more growth in most cases. it will definately help your plants.

15. I noted odd drooping on all leaves and yellowing on the .. whatever thoes two leaves are called that are the first out of the seed. Today it started to show very tiny brown tips on some of the leaves.

I removed the 2700k lights and am now back at 124 watts of 6500k CFL

edit: i am installing the passive intakes today. i pray my fan/filter makes it in before i leave for BONNAROOOO.

any case my roomate is here to take care of them

16. i dont think i've ever had a set of those first (i forgot what the're actually called) but i call the embrionic leaves not turn yellow and die, i wouldn't worry about that.

is the browning on all your leaves, of just the top ones? you should be fine with just those floros. they will grow it just fine, but you might want to throw those other lights on them again when they're a little further along.

17. the brown is on the very tips of the ridges of the leaves. we're talking .2-.4mm (like very thin mechanical pencil lead) worth on most of the little tips of the fan leaves.

the stronger plants first set is now making a ring they are wilted/bend/curled so much. but it still looks strong and healthy!? the 2nd set is comming in fast and it's a good light green color of fresh growth.

i'll take pics of them before i go to sleep tonight and when i wake up and throw thoes on here tomorrow.

:stoned:

edit: thanks for sticking around so far unclenugs. i may think i know what i'm doing but someone to consult with helps alot!

18. do your leaves look healthy, but deformed and curling like this one? or are the leaves that curl dead?
    [​IMG]

a picture is worth more than you can explain

the browning sounds like very slight nute burn, but again, without a pic, its hard to tell

and no problem, i love helping out any way I can. i've gotten a lot of help from others on this forum, and i'm just trying to spread the love around. just never forget, i'm still a noob to this, but i've read my ass off and know most of the basics.

19. so i've got some mixed news for everyone interested in my grow. i went out of town for Bonnaroo over the weekend. i left my plants wed afternoon and didn't see them til 4:20 on monday. my roomate was watching them for me and i told him to call me if he had any questions. everything was setup so he only had to water them and keep the soil moist

he .. for some reason that he can't explain .. decided to turn my fan to the lowest setting and move the temp/humidity meter out of the pots and to the floor about a foot away from the lights! my stronger sprout lived with minor burning on the leaves but it's looking good otherwise.

the weak one was dried up and the only green left was a tiny leaf that had started growing from the new set. :'( !!! i'm angry. but here is the redemption:

on wed. night after leaving my babies a friend of ours gave us 3 bagseed from some strain of purple headies.

also, while at the roo', i picked up 3 grams of Love Potion and snagged a healthy looking seed from that (it had been harvested just before the roo from the looks)! my fan/filter combo also arrived while i was gone.

so .. dark cloud with a silver lining. i'll get pictures going again tonight or tomorrow. got friends over right now.

peace! BONNAROOOOO

20. the first set of leaves looks like that one does. it's not flat at all .. the curling is so much that the tip is touching the stem and pointing upwards.

the new leaf sets are looking nicer but they are curling like a hotdog a little bit. that might be because of the high temps from my out of town.

pics soon and we can figure this out. :)

edit: temps are .. 72 in the room. 78.2 in the box. 67% humidity.

i've got that stuff dialed in now. :p