1ST GROW *Purple Widow*, Northern Lights!

Discussion in 'Marijuana Grow Journals' started by Ari Gold, Jun 4, 2008.

1. We began germination of 10 Purple Widow, 10 Northern Lights, 5 no name heady seeds and 5 seeds from a bag 7 days ago. We currently have 21 planted in cups with perfect mix plant soil, and have 12 sprouts. Hopefully another 9 on the way (the ones germinated and already in cups). Still keeping my faith up for the 5 purple widow that haven't germinated yet (going on 3-4 days now). The 12 sprouts consists of 5 purple widows, 3 northern lights and 4 of the bag seeds. The 2 bigger ones sprouted 2 days ago the others are from yesterday.

We (my brother and I) plan to wait until these plants grow till about a foot in height then we plan to move them to an outdoor locale on a friends property.

This is both our first time growing so we've been doing the research on the go...these forums are a great resource and we plan to keep you guys updated for the enjoyment of grasscity and for our own benefit so we can easily ask questions when need be. Thanks GC:smoking:

CLOSE UP PIC
    purple widow- left
    northern lights- middle
    bag seeds- right

Attached Files:

2. looking good, but they are definitely stretching. how much light you got on those babies? might want to get some more light from the looks of it. with all those plants that could potentially grow up to be big, definitely consider getting yourself an HID setup (i'd recommend an HPS ballast with a HPS bulb and a MH conversion bulb...your plants will love you). :)

good luck. :smoke:

3. I'm not sure what you mean by stretching. What should we do? I'll post a pic of our light setup. I actually don't know what the watts of our main light is but you can check out the pic.

4. Heres a few more pics. The last one is of my closet with a blanket over the setup so light doesn't emit from the cracks. I'm home from college for the summer and live with my mom and brother. We need to be covert in the closet for a few more weeks until we can get these babies outdoors. But for now, gotta be stealth about it. My mom rarely, if ever, comes into my room when I'm not in there so as long as we're careful we'll be good.

Attached Files:

5. you deffinetly need some better lighting dude thats too many plants for a cfl and a flourecent...i too would recommend an 80 dollar ebay hps system....use an mh for veg tho.like a 400 watt or somthing
    but i plan on growin purp widow too so ima subscribe and keep with your grow.
    is your purple widow from marijuana seeds.nl?

6. Yes they are from marijuana seeds. You recommend getting better light even if we are are only growing them to no more than a foot?

7. yup what he said more light, with the little bit of light you have now it would take you 2 months or so to get them a foot tall and if they get too be a foot tall now they would probly only have a few leaf sets. give them more light a hid would be a good idea but kinda expensive.... but if your gonna do it do it right and do it the first time.

8. I recommend CFL for lights. CFLs are the coiled fluorescent ones that can fit in a standard bulb socket that are marketed as energy savers. Get bright white ones for your vegetation cycle (that's where you are right now) and soft white for floiwering when the time comes.

It's your first grow and I'm sure you don't want to spend $100-$300 on an HPS lighting system. For that many plants get enough CFLs to be AT LEAST 100w, but that would be bare minimum. And getting to 100w with CFL will only run you about $20-$30

9. yes i do think you will need better lights i just can't see how you can support that many on that little light, i have a 400 watt hps/mh dual spectrum system and i only grow 6 mature at a time .your plants will need more and more light as there canopys develop(they get larger bushier. even if your only going a foot tall which(you might need a little more height to counter the stretching) they will get bushier and take the light from each other. Especially the northern lights/

10. see my opinion on cfls is that they have such LOW lumen output, your only providing enough light to keep the plant alive, not flourishing. this will affect his quality and quantity of bud. plus lets look at cost vs price.
    the PRICE of your cfls, flourecents, etc would will be around 16$or more for just the cfls youll need for 21 plants. over the years of your grows you will need to constantly buy more of these lamps and flourecents as they burn out ( you will need about 4-6 cfls if your doing this and if you are then also go to walmart and get there GROW light its a 24 inch 8$ blue spectrum flourecent get 2)
    VERSUS
    http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-400-watt-HP...ryZ42225QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    http://cgi.ebay.com/250-Watt-Heavy-...ryZ58145QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    and
    http://cgi.ebay.com/400-watt-HPS-GR...ryZ42225QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    http://cgi.ebay.com/FLORALUX-Ultima...ryZ42225QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

keep looking im sure theres better deals i looked for 8 seconds.....but these will last you a long time plus they have reflecters to better use the light, and your BUD IS WAY STRONGER yay.

this is an ultimate system to drool over (similar to mine, mines the cheaper versian, sadness)
    http://www.kalyx.com/store/images/images_J/J_901965.jpg
    whole damn setup would be like 500$for that ^^^^^^^

11. We just got 2 more lights, the same one I have now. So we'll have 3 75 watt lights above them next to eachother and a 100 wat bulb shining on specefic areas. We just need to get these plants healthy enough to move outdoors for the summer. Will this be enough for what we're going for? My brother and I are expecting to get anywhere between 4-6 oz per plant to up a pound. So if we transport 25ish healthy plants to our outdoor spot for a summer grow, and do it the right way, are our expectations unreasonable? Probably move them outside late June. Some of the sites say 8-9 weeks outdoor...If we have to let them run into Sept to grow fully we'll obviously do so.

Its crazy how I can just post a journal on here and recieve instanteous feedback about my setup so I don't screw up like a 200 dollar investment so far (seeds, lights and soil). I've been really anxious for this process to get in the later stages because just thinking about multiple upon multiple upon multiple pounds of dank headies for 200 dollars and a summers work of care and time is unreal. GC, help me make this a reality!

I'll be posting pics of the new lightsetup shortly.

12. yup we blades like to watch out for each other and i will be here watching it happen.
    nice on the lights cant wait to see pics.

13. those 2 foot flouro tubes you go there are 17watts not 75 at least thats what i remember i made the same mistake with my first grow Cfls are way better and if you really wanna get it cooking a mh 400 watt will be great, i myself upgraded right after that grow to a 400 watt mh/hps and it does wonders!

14. Also how far are your babies from those lights? It's hard to tell from the pic....when you setup your new lights make sure you get those guys within a few inches of the tops of your plants. Pretty much as close as you can get them without burning your plants. That will also help with the stretching. Stretching is when your plants grow tall too fast because they are stretching towards the light. Good luck with those new lights!!!!

15. I just took pics with the 2 new lights in. I also took a pic of the wattage label on my lights. Emits 75 watts of light and uses 17 watts of energy, thats prolly why you remember that.

We plan to move a portion of the larger sproutlings to bigger cups tomorrow. Three 75 watt lights, and a 100 watt light bulb, that's what we currently have now. Also, all of the 21 cups minus one have sprouted (as you can see in the pic; 1 PW is ready to be planted and 8 others are still germinating)

Quick question, if its been over a week and the seeds are still not popping, is there still hope?

I'm feelin good about this again though. The first two posts of this journal questioning my lighting had me worried but we hopefully fixed the problem and are back in business. It's on like donkey kong, biatch!

Attached Files:

16. Also does anyone have any experience moving them outdoors, or just outdoor growing in general? If we get all of them outdoors by July 1 can we expect some heavy yields if we do it correctly? Details would be awesome!

17. haha thats the same damn walmart light from my first grow. thats great for veg you will do fine i used 2 of those and a 10 dollar plant light swivel thing to veg a plant 3 feet tall in 6 weeks(bought 2 more for vertical mounting when it got 2.5 feet)

18. lol, it was the best light we could find at walmart. So you did a complete indoor grow? I really cant wait to watch these babies thrive outdoors.

19. that plant is still going at the moment. I tried to flower it under that wal mart light setup and got nothing at all (its heavily sativa whatever the strain is, bagseed-whitewidow, big bud, or purple fire i think it s PF).it sat and didnt flower for another month . so it was under that veggin for about 3 monthes and then i got my hps/mh and its been flowering for 1 and a half weeks with 49 beutiful bowl sized bud sites with pure white pistils protruding in every which way , thats right i counted 49 bud sites on the 20+ arms my 4 foot freshly flowered lady,

20. Those prepackaged grow lights are only 17w, not 75w. If you still want to use those, know that they don't get the least bit hot. You can have your plants nearly touch the casing on the light without having to worry about heat damage