Micro Grow Round 2 - Speedqueen in a PC Case

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by MushuHappiness, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Hey everyone... I'm up and running the 2nd round already :hello: If you weren't tuned into the last grow, you can see how my two boys met their fate in the link in my sig... They died nice an healthy.. Bastards.

Anyways.. I repotted and reseeded that same morning and one seedlings already up and growing as of last night/this morning.. I stayed awake watching it pop up till like 3am lol. Theres no sign of the other one, and for superstitions sake i'm referring to them as the plants untill they show signs of sex lol

I'm using the same soil as last time, but different nutes, I went to my local hydro store and picked up the Technaflora BC Recipe for success so i actually have a chart to follow this time. I got it for like $16 so i'm happy with that :D although its not the new one they've come out with which has like all 10 products.

Anyway... We'll call this day 1 for plant one, they'll both be LST'd like last time, except using pipe cleaners, and possibly doing some fimming.

[​IMG]

Also... Put in some new fans that have a speed adjuster, i got em both for 8 bucks and they both move about 80CFMs at full speed ^_^ I've got em running at about half speed. Also put some carbon filter one each of the exhaust fans to help during flower. I'll also be giving the drier sheet method a try

[​IMG]

Enjoy the show, comments and criticism are always welcome :smoke:

Mushu

2. I saw your first grow, went very well but too bad they were males :(

What soil are you using?

Still using 2 27watt daylight bulbs?

3. I'm actually up to 3 27w daylight bulbs... its about 3900 lumens.Only spectrum i could find at local home improvement stores was 5500k.. But i saw a 50w HPS at Home Depot for like 35bucks and i'm gonna jump on that if i can.. But it might be an online only offer :(

Also.. I MIGHT, big might, decide to put in two more sockets.. My only problem right now is figuring out a way to plug tthem into the timer, i dont have enough room to put another timer in everythings internal and completely self contained.

Anyway.. Pulled this from one of my other threads -

"The soil is from Whitney Farms, its called Life Link Uncle Malcom's potting soil.
    It didnt give a NPK base but...
    Ingredients: Aged and processed softwood bark and sawdust, sphagnum peat moss, perlite, pumice, composted animal manures, bat guano, worm castings, dried poultry waste, blood meal, feather meal, bone meal, sulfate of POTash, kelp meal.

It also contains a load of benaficial bacteria such as Psiolithus tinctorius, Rhizopogon villosulus, Rhizopogon fulvigleba, Rhizopogon rubescens, Rhizopogon vulgaris, Glomus intraradices, glomus mosseae, glomus aggregatum, bacillus subtilis."

And i used that with just water for along time before adding a bit of nutes and the plants loved the stuff, i'll be keeping an eye out for nute burn very closely once i start following the Recipe for Success chart.

4. im just wondering but are speedqueens easy to grow?how fast do they grow? thanks

5. Here's an update for everyone :)

lacrosse420 - Its a pretty simple grow so far, i've had no problems with my last grow... Although they turned out to be both male :rolleyes: I cant vouch for quickness yet, but all my plants seemed to have great growth and were very vigorous, and im a first time grower and even i could see after reading alot of different ones :) They also take alot of abuse, i almost chopped off the whole upper portion and it was able to heal itself back up :)

Anyway.. Today is DAY one for plant number two! It reared its little head last night and today as is lookin solid(of course it is.. its still little lol) The other one is doing well.. It seemed like it was growing kinda slow compared to my last two plants, and im wondering if its because I didnt use the cocopots i had used last time. I didnt realize it but my soil also has Mycorrizhae in it, and since the roots were able to get pretty developed before finally moving out of that cocopot, those mycorrizhae probably helped em out..

Anyway.. Here's my new arsenal of stuff that i'm using to get these babies nice and buddy fat... The hydroshop has a limited size of products(pretty much all litre) so i picked up sensizym instead of Hydrozym as it was like 7 cheaper... And its nice that the tag said 30.95 and i only paied $29 for it.. apparently they dont like sales tax ^_^

[​IMG]

Heres the two plants... I realize that the one is a bit smaller.. But i'm going to start them BOTH on the feed schedule, and i'll be adding the Sensizyme to every feed also.

[​IMG]

This parts was for someone on another forum.... But the rest are welcome to take a peak also ;) Just in case your all curious as to my setup :)

First off.. We have the top right of my case with that fan, and a lexan glass plate that i cut up and fitted...

[​IMG]

As you can see... That fan isnt covered all the way up, that actually helps move the plants around quite a bit believe it or not. Right below that.. I thought i had a pic, guess not, but there is some holes that most computer cases have to place a fan there or promote passive intake over the hard drives.

Now.. This is the left side of my PC case, you can see the bottom fan, which is the same as the one on the top right of my case. a 120 that moves alot of air, and right above that, is my electronics and my other fan thats an 80mm that moves some serious air too(up to 80CFMs :D )

[​IMG]

And heres the fan at the top, expelling that hot air from the lights, this one is usually turned up to almost full blast, but it gets pretty loud and i can turn it down quite a bit and keep my temps at exactly 76* :D

[​IMG]

And last but not least... This has been with my lights on the past two days, no changes, and my rooms been pretty warm too, and the humidity has stayed the same also... Right at 76* @ 56% humidity :)

[​IMG]

Thats all for now folks :D I'll update again when the plants are a little bigger :D

Enjoy, and goodluck in all your endeavors :wave:

Mushu

6. Update time -

Both plants are doing well, they seemed to do fine with that last feed i gave them. Today i'll be giving them the same solution.

One thing im a little concerned about, in the first pic you can see some white stuff on the top of the soil... I've never seen that before until now, the other plant doesnt have that... So i'm not sure if it had something to do with the nutes or what =/ Plants are bothered but i'll be keeping an eye on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plants seem to be growing alot slower than the last two, not sure whats up with that.. But im not worried :D

Thats all for now :wave:

Mushu

7. Looks good bro! I hope the turn out to be female as well.

Is that a Lite-On DVD-RW? It looks identical to mine is why I ask. :)

8. Lookin good so far. My first grow is in a PC too. Is that tinfoil or mylar the interior is coated with? PCs are great for stealth but I need more room and plan on building a bubble bucket for my new place.:hello:

9. hope thats not aluminum foil homie, will give your plants burn spots

10. not exactly sure about soil grows (i do hydro myself) but I think you may want to wait a bit longer before feeding....small plants like that generally need VERY VERY little to no nutes yet. i may be jumping the gun, but it looks like one of your little ones might already have nute burn

11. hey you guys i am also trying to make my own PC grow case. the size of the case is 7.5'', 17.5'', 17.1'' (w,l,h). i am using one 28wat cfl and one 23wat (fresh2) cfl bulb. i will also be using pots that i made which are 3.5'', 17'', 3'' (w,l,h). so the only things left i have to figure out are the fans and what strain to get. i already have 4 80mm fans (2 for intake 2 for output) but i need to know if there is a way i can get power to them without using the computers big power supply which takes up a lot of space:confused:. as for the strain i am looking for a plant that is all or mostly sativa, is feminized and preferably is auto flowering. any plant that is under 60cm tall would work because i will be using lst. any help would be appreciated thx.:smoke:

12. Hey so whatever ended up happening with this?

13. Ok.. Obviously a little late on this one...

tiyoo - Ended up ditching it for security reasons.. I.e. living at home.. Sooo first rule. Check yo security! If your not alone, or your partner/roomies aren't 100% enthusiastic about it... Probably shouldn't do it.. :D To all the new people that is..

chronicuser - you might have already gotten this far.. but search around for a thread How to: install a power strip inside your pc icmag.com also has a MicroGrow section that inspired this box... check it out

buddha - i think you might be absolutely right on this point sir, its been a while but after all the stuff i read/researched since then.. it makes sense.. just one of those things i didnt think about at the time >.< i was scaling the nutes back from what recommended already was.. but i think it still might have been too much

Others - yes yes.. aluminum foil(tape actually, pretty much same thing though >.<) and a lightscribe drive :D

14. Just a heads up, there will be no more updates to this thread.. But anyone who wants to use it for reference or ask questions, feel free :wave:

15. What is a good computer case to buy for this? Like how big? Any model/brand you can tell me about? Gonna try this...