MZStoner's 1st Grow

Discussion in 'Marijuana Grow Journals' started by mzstonerdude, Feb 24, 2007.

1. :hello:Day 1:hello:

Hello everyone, my girlfriend and I are first time growers and will be keeping a journal here on the City. Today marks Day 1, we just put our seed into some Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil after germinating for 2 days. We have a 24"X20"X36" LWH cab that we built from a 11/32" plywood sheet and 2X2's. We are using 2 26 watt CFL's for the first week, after that we'll turn on the 250 HPS. Our seed is a feminized Northern Lights by Femaleseeds.nl bought from Dopeseeds.com The temperature in the box is currently 79 with 60% humidity. I'm going to return this 7" oscillating fan I got at Wal-Mart for one I can mount better so that should bring down temps a few degrees. In a week when the HPS comes on we have a 6" inline duct fan from Home Depot with a carbon filter for ventilation. That's it for now, I gotta go get this fan! Feel free to ask questions or give feedback. Peace!:smoking::smoking::smoking:

Attached Files:

2. Well, we just got back from buying a fan and putting it in place. It definitely makes the small room a lot more cramped, but it will have to do for now. (Hopefully we will find a smaller one soon). Our temps are a lil high (84 degrees), but we hope to take care of ventilation issues in the morning. Here's the new picture. (Sorry it's kind of washed out, the lights and my cellphone camera don't really mix).

Attached Files:

3. as that plant progresses it going to start to smell and eventualy make the entire closet and the clothing in the closet smell.

What is that soil you have there?

4. Day 2

No sight of the sprout as of yet. I did a few modifications to the box today. I drilled a 6" honeycomb vent with 12 1" holes and another 1" hole at the bottom for intake. I say exhaust and intake but they won't take those roles until I install the inline fan. I took apart the ballast so I could remove the wire running from the ballast to the fixture thus allowing me to locate the ballast outside the box. Temps are a bit high in the mid 80s so I'm dreading ventilation problems with the HPS. I painted the cup white with left over paint cuz I know it's not supposed to be clear. Also, when I picked up my soil at a local hyrdo shop I got the 3 Fox Farm ferts as well. It cost me $47 for the pack of 3 which I thought was pretty steep. I read yesterday on here that a cheaper alternative are some Schultz ferts at Wal-Mart. I haven't checked on prices yet but I bet they're alot cheaper so unless someone could advise me otherwise I'm going to return the Fox Farm ferts and get the Wal-Mart ones.

Falling_Jihad: I'm aware of the odor it's going to produce. I'm hoping to keep it down with a carbon filter and if need be modify it to be a "dual" carbon filter. It's only 1 small plant so I'm not expecting too much smell. I'm using Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil.

Attached Files:

5. Keep the foxfarms bro much better than a chem fert like schultz

don't cheap out on your plants

6. i wouldn't call it day 1 untill it sprouts....

good luck man:wave:

7. :D Official Day 1 :D

This morning our sprout had popped up from underneath the soil. Not much to report other than that. About ferts, I've seen others just use Big Bloom and not Tiger Bloom and Grow Big, why is that and could I do the same? We've been looking at bigger buckets/pots for when we transplant her again but don't know what would be best. I know alot of people use 5 gallon buckets but that seems a little big for our area. I've heard of others using 3 1/2 gallon buckets, kitty litter buckets, square buckets, etc.

Attached Files:

8. well il be watchn ur grow... we started bout the same time, i jus gotta get some pics up here for yall soon ggood luck an hope things go as good for u as they are for me!!!!

9. Day 2

I don't think the sprout is doing too well today :eek:. She has seemed to have developed some gray areas on her two smaller leaves and I think some is beginning to form on one of the bigger leaves. I thought about it and placed the temperature sensor right next to the sprout, instead of hanging next to one of the lights. It shot up to 90.7 degrees so I turned off the lights and rearranged the fan so it was blowing directing over the sprout instead of oscillating. I let the box air out and got down to 75.5 degrees. I positioned the CFL's a few inches higher and let the fan stay the way it was. The temp is now at 79.6 right next to the sprout. Not the best but better. I think I'm gonna make this cooltube for the HPS: http://forum.grasscity.com/grow-roo...king-cool-tube.html?highlight=hurricane+glass.
    I'm also considering moving the cab from the closet to the bathroom.

Attached Files:

10. NIce start.
    Is it feminised seed or you are just feeling lucky?
    Wouldn't it be safer to plant 3 seeds and then keep the strongest female.
    When I did my first hydro I killed like 12 seedlings at different stages of grow.
    I have burned 5 plants in soil and counting...
    Peoples for first grow it is good to have back up.
    I have seen some journals that finished with male flowers on this beautyfull, loved plant...

Good luck.
    I wish my girlfriend was bothered by my grow in any other way than being pissed of.
    Lucky man.

11. If you put some computer fan in one of the walls it could help you for now with temps
    For such a small space cooltube is a must if you want to do HPS.

12. When I started this project I was hoping to spend around $200. I kept track of every purchase I made and they add up fast. This isn't complete, you'll notice there are no prices for pots or for my cooltube supplies. Figured I would add this to my journal.

<table style="border-collapse: collapse;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" height="1572" width="640"><col style="width: 48pt;" span="10" width="64"> <tbody><tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td class="xl68" style="height: 15pt; width: 48pt;" height="20" width="64">Item</td> <td class="xl69" style="width: 48pt;" width="64"></td> <td class="xl69" style="width: 48pt;" width="64"></td> <td class="xl69" style="width: 48pt;" width="64"></td> <td class="xl68" style="width: 48pt;" width="64">Quantity</td> <td class="xl68" style="width: 48pt;" width="64"></td> <td class="xl68" style="width: 48pt;" width="64">Store</td> <td class="xl69" style="width: 48pt;" width="64"></td> <td class="xl68" style="width: 48pt;" width="64">Cost</td> <td class="xl68" style="width: 48pt;" width="64">Total Cost</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td class="xl65" style="height: 15pt;" height="20">Cabinet</td> <td class="xl66"> </td> <td class="xl66"> </td> <td class="xl67"> </td> <td class="xl66"> </td> <td class="xl66"> </td> <td class="xl66"> </td> <td class="xl66"> </td> <td class="xl71"> </td> <td class="xl71"> $ 42 </td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td class="xl70" colspan="3" style="height: 15pt;" height="20">11/32" 4X8 Plywood Sheet</td> <td>
    </td> <td align="right">1</td> <td>
    </td> <td>Lowes</td> <td>
    </td> <td class="xl72"> $ 14 </td> <td class="xl72">
    </td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td class="xl70" colspan="2" style="height: 15pt;" height="20">2X2X8 Lumber</td> <td>
    </td> <td>
    </td> <td align="right">2</td> <td>
    </td> <td class="xl72"> $ 5 </td> <td class="xl72">
    </td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td colspan="2" style="height: 15pt;" height="20">Box of Nails</td> <td>
    </td> <td>
    </td> <td class="xl72"> $ 2 </td> <td class="xl72">
    </td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td style="height: 15pt;" height="20">Latch</td> <td>
    </td> <td>
    </td> <td>
    </td> <td class="xl72"> $ 3 </td> <td class="xl72">
    </td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td style="height: 15pt;" height="20">3" Hinges</td> <td>
    </td> <td>
    </td> <td>
    </td> <td class="xl72"> $ 4 </td> <td class="xl72">
    </td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td colspan="3" style="height: 15pt;" height="20">1/2 Gallon Flat White Paint</td> <td>
    </td> <td>Wal-Mart</td> <td>
    </td> <td class="xl72"> $ 10 </td> <td class="xl72">
    </td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td colspan="2" style="height: 15pt;" height="20">Latex Caulk</td> <td>
    </td> <td>
    </td> <td class="xl72"> $ 2 </td> <td class="xl72">
    </td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td colspan="2" style="height: 15pt;" height="20">Painters Drop Cloth</td> <td>
    </td> <td>
    </td> <td class="xl72"> $ 1 </td> <td class="xl72">
    </td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td colspan="3" style="height: 15pt;" height="20">8X32X3/4 Bolts w/ Nuts</td> <td>
    </td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td class="xl65" style="height: 15pt;" height="20">Lights</td> <td class="xl66"> </td> <td class="xl66"> </td> <td class="xl67"> </td> <td class="xl66"> </td> <td class="xl66"> </td> <td class="xl66"> </td> <td class="xl66"> </td> <td class="xl71"> </td> <td class="xl71"> $ 120 </td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td colspan="4" style="height: 15pt;" height="20">250 HPS Ballast/Bulb/Reflector</td> <td align="right">1</td> <td>
    </td> <td colspan="2" style="">InsideSun.com</td> <td class="xl72"> $ 114 </td> <td class="xl72">
    </td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td colspan="2" style="height: 15pt;" height="20">26 Watt 6500k CFL</td> <td>
    </td> <td>
    </td> <td class="xl72"> $ 6 </td> <td class="xl72">
    </td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td class="xl65" style="height: 15pt;" height="20">Power</td> <td class="xl66"> </td> <td class="xl66"> </td> <td class="xl67"> </td> <td class="xl66"> </td> <td class="xl66"> </td> <td class="xl66"> </td> <td class="xl66"> </td> <td class="xl71"> </td> <td class="xl71"> $ 21 </td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td colspan="3" style="height: 15pt;" height="20">25 ft. Extension Cord</td> <td>
    </td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td colspan="2" style="height: 15pt;" height="20">3-Outlet Adapter</td> <td>
    </td> <td>
    </td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td colspan="3" style="height: 15pt;" height="20">6 Outlet Power Strip</td> <td>
    </td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td colspan="3" style="height: 15pt;" height="20">Heavy Duty Electrical Timer</td> <td>
    </td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td class="xl65" colspan="2" style="height: 15pt;" height="20">Ventilation</td> <td class="xl66"> </td> <td class="xl67"> </td> <td class="xl66"> </td> <td class="xl66"> </td> <td class="xl66"> </td> <td class="xl66"> </td> <td class="xl71"> </td> <td class="xl71"> $ 59 </td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td colspan="4" style="height: 15pt;" height="20">Inductor 6" In-line Duct Boost Fan</td> <td align="right">1</td> <td>
    </td> <td colspan="2" style="">HomeDepot.com</td> <td class="xl72"> $ 37 </td> <td class="xl72">
    </td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td colspan="3" style="height: 15pt;" height="20">Ocillating Tower Fan</td> <td>
    </td> <td class="xl72"> $ 22 </td> <td class="xl72">
    </td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td colspan="2" style="height: 15pt;" height="20">Hurrican Shade</td> <td>
    </td> <td>
    </td> <td>
    </td> <td>
    </td> <td>
    </td> <td>
    </td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td style="height: 15pt;" height="20">Ducting</td> <td>
    </td> <td>
    </td> <td>
    </td> <td>
    </td> <td>
    </td> <td>
    </td> <td>
    </td> <td>
    </td> <td>
    </td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td class="xl65" colspan="2" style="height: 15pt;" height="20">Odor Control</td> <td class="xl66"> </td> <td class="xl67"> </td> <td class="xl66"> </td> <td class="xl66"> </td> <td class="xl66"> </td> <td class="xl66"> </td> <td class="xl71"> </td> <td class="xl71"> $ 22 </td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td colspan="3" style="height: 15pt;" height="20">Activated Carbon Filter</td> <td>
    </td> <td colspan="2" style="">Home Depot</td> <td class="xl72"> $ 10 </td> <td class="xl72">
    </td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td colspan="2" style="height: 15pt;" height="20">Air Fresheners</td> <td>
    </td> <td>
    </td> <td align="right">4</td> <td>
    </td> <td class="xl72"> $ 12 </td> <td class="xl72">
    </td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td class="xl65" colspan="2" style="height: 15pt;" height="20">Gardening Supplies</td> <td class="xl66"> </td> <td class="xl67"> </td> <td class="xl66"> </td> <td class="xl66"> </td> <td class="xl66"> </td> <td class="xl66"> </td> <td class="xl71"> </td> <td class="xl71"> $ 81 </td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td style="height: 15pt;" height="20">Pots</td> <td>
    </td> <td>
    </td> <td>
    </td> <td>
    </td> <td>
    </td> <td>
    </td> <td>
    </td> <td class="xl72">
    </td> <td class="xl72">
    </td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td colspan="4" style="height: 15pt;" height="20">Fox Farm Ocean Forest Potting Soil</td> <td align="right">1</td> <td>
    </td> <td colspan="2" style="">Hydroponics Shop</td> <td class="xl72"> $ 21 </td> <td class="xl72">
    </td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td colspan="4" style="height: 15pt;" height="20">Fox Farm Tiger Bloom/Big Bloom/Grow Big</td> <td align="right">1</td> <td>
    </td> <td colspan="2" style="">Hydroponics Shop</td> <td class="xl72"> $ 47 </td> <td class="xl72">
    </td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td colspan="2" style="height: 15pt;" height="20">Spray Bottle</td> <td>
    </td> <td>
    </td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td colspan="4" style="height: 15pt;" height="20">Digital Thermometer/Humidity Gauge</td> <td align="right">1</td> <td>
    </td> <td class="xl72"> $ 12 </td> <td class="xl72">
    </td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td class="xl65" style="height: 15pt;" height="20">Seeds</td> <td class="xl66"> </td> <td class="xl66"> </td> <td class="xl67"> </td> <td class="xl66"> </td> <td class="xl66"> </td> <td class="xl66"> </td> <td class="xl66"> </td> <td class="xl71"> </td> <td class="xl71"> $ 42 </td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td colspan="4" style="height: 15pt;" height="20">Femalseeds.nl Northern Lights 4 Pack</td> <td align="right">1</td> <td>
    </td> <td colspan="2" style="">DopeSeeds.com</td> <td class="xl72"> $ 42 </td> <td class="xl72">
    </td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td class="xl65" style="height: 15pt;" height="20">Security</td> <td class="xl66"> </td> <td class="xl66"> </td> <td class="xl67"> </td> <td class="xl66"> </td> <td class="xl66"> </td> <td class="xl66"> </td> <td class="xl66"> </td> <td class="xl71"> </td> <td class="xl71"> $ 14 </td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td colspan="2" style="height: 15pt;" height="20">Keyed Doorknob</td> <td>
    </td> <td>
    </td> <td class="xl72"> $ 11 </td> <td class="xl72">
    </td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td colspan="3" style="height: 15pt;" height="20">Master Combination Lock</td> <td>
    </td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td class="xl65" style="height: 15pt;" height="20">Tools</td> <td class="xl66"> </td> <td class="xl66"> </td> <td class="xl67"> </td> <td class="xl66"> </td> <td class="xl66"> </td> <td class="xl66"> </td> <td class="xl66"> </td> <td class="xl71"> </td> <td class="xl71"> $ 49 </td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td style="height: 15pt;" height="20">Hammer</td> <td>
    </td> <td>
    </td> <td>
    </td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td style="height: 15pt;" height="20">Drill</td> <td>
    </td> <td>
    </td> <td>
    </td> <td class="xl72"> $ 28 </td> <td class="xl72">
    </td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td colspan="2" style="height: 15pt;" height="20">Drill Bit/Screw Set</td> <td>
    </td> <td>
    </td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td colspan="2" style="height: 15pt;" height="20">1" Hole Drill Bit</td> <td>
    </td> <td>
    </td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td colspan="2" style="height: 15pt;" height="20">3" Paint Brush</td> <td>
    </td> <td>
    </td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td class="xl73" style="height: 15pt;" height="20">Total</td> <td class="xl74"> </td> <td class="xl74"> </td> <td class="xl74"> </td> <td class="xl74"> </td> <td class="xl74"> </td> <td class="xl74"> </td> <td class="xl74"> </td> <td class="xl75"> $ 450 </td> <td class="xl75"> $ 450
    </td> </tr> </tbody></table>

13. Potmaniac: It is a feminised seed but I only have 4 of them, that's why I don't have more going. If it were bagseed I would do it that method for sure, but I never get any bagseed.

14. I have to go along with it since after all, he's not the only one that smokes it. :)

15. Day 3

Today the sprout has been looking a lot better. Temps have been kept down to mid 70s and I gave her her first watering today. I ordered this hurricane shade today for my cooltube, hopefully it gets here soon.

Attached Files:

16. Day 5

I missed an update yesterday because of a slightly hectic day. The plant is doing very well, lots of growth in the past 2 days. I received my in-line fan today and it looks as if it's going to work very well. I'll probably install that tomorrow as I won't have time today.

:smoking::smoking::smoking:

Attached Files:

17. Im new round here but this deserves a sticky somwhere!

Outstanding :D

Cheers Al

18. thanks! stay posted and i'll post an updated, final version in a few days. i just tried giving the old one a minor update but the alignment was giving me trouble...

19. lets see some more picks

20. Day 8

Sorry guys for the slow update. A lot has happened the past few days. First of all, we transplanted her into a 10 inch planter bucket from Wal-Mart. We also mixed in 1 tsp FF Grow Big with a gallon of water to water her. She took a little bit more than 3/4 of the gallon including some drainage. She has shown no sign of shock or stress and seems to like the Grow Big. The growth has been amazing, much bigger than she was before. She is definitely a short plant though at only about 1 1/2 inches high. I think it's a good trait, especially cuz of our small setup. I got the inline fan hooked up. It pushes less air than I thought it would but hopefully it'll be okay. I got the hurricane shade in the mail today and will go to Lowes tomorrow for some ducting and some way to mount it.

Day 6 Pics:

Attached Files: