Cashing a Check wihout State ID

Discussion in 'General' started by MrJane, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Okay, so yesterday I got my first paycheck and went to cash it. Wal-mart would not let me cash my check with my school piciture ID and said I needed a state ID. My question is, if I bring my school ID, Birth Certificate and my Social Security temp card to the bank will they let me cash it? and also, if they won't would I be able to have someone else cash it for me if I signed it over to them with this much proof of identity?

2. I'm not sure abt using school I.d and birth certificate, also unsure of what a temp social security card looks like, but it may work, give it a shot .. Most banks state they need photo id and proof of address .. So try all that stuff u mentioned plus some letters in ur name mailed to ur address.

You can sign it over to someone, they can deposit it into an account in their name and withdraw the cash, although the check may take a day or so to clear in their account depending. I dont think they can just straight out cash it once u sign it over. Someone correct me if I'm wrong

3. #3 Purpleface, Dec 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2011
    They probably won't accept a school Id. And most banks just want two forms of identification so the birth certificate and social should be fine. And even if they turn you down you dont need an Id to deposit a check.