should we require calculus and physics to graduate college?

Discussion in 'General' started by dickens cider, Apr 5, 2010.

1. #1 dickens cider, Apr 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2010
    I think we should. I think we should end all social science degrees as they stand. A womens studies major and a chemistry major just shouldn't have the same degree, a universal "bachelors." I suggest one of two options:

A) No requirement for grown-up courses for social science majors. However, social science majors should have their own little sub-section in the back of the university, perhaps the basement or an old wing with no air conditioning. They can "study" the art of masquerading bad, superficial writing as some kind of intellectualism in the heat just fine. The adults should get 95% of the funding acquiring from collegiate athletics and donors to do their actual work.

B) Require one year of calc, physics with lab, and organic chem with lab for all majors.

In my short time on this earth, I have noticed that the generalized intellectual ability of those who have taken these courses increases dramatically. Surely this is partially because those folks were brighter anyway, thus their desire to take more serious classes with more complicated reward systems,. But I do think there is something more.

Discuss.

2. I think most posters would be able to deduce your grades for last semester based on that post. :)

I have seen some of the sources you refer to, which are more like diary entries than anything scientific; but I have also seen studies conducted by social scientists which keeps the public interested in science. It may not be difficult to comprehend, but it keeps science a priority, because it's easy to grasp.

I agree though, that taking more difficult classes increases your mental capacity. As you make realizations and connections in a difficult class, you are rewiring your neural pathways. Tripping a neural pathway comes with a chemical cocktail of peptides that tell your brain that you are happy. :) I once thought that the chemical nature of emotion made it less meaningful or less beautiful, but I realize now that it is still the action or fulfillment causing the mood, and the peptide's role is to tell your body the state of your mind. So learning makes us happier!

3. Yes and no. I was a physics and math major, and am now a writer (short stories, commentary and poetry). This argument could be made for a lot of things...I've heard people argue that everyone should have an acid trip in their lifetime for the so called "eye-opening" experience, but I don't agree with that. There are generally minimum requirements in these areas (math and science) no matter what you study just to expose you to them; the real question is do you choose to embrace this diversity, or just tolerate it?

4. no what the hell kind of question is that. its our choice to take whatever we want, because we are paying for it. physics i could see, but really, not everyone can pick up calculus. that is a pretty hard class, especially at a uni.

my answer is no. chances are you will probably quote this, and come up with some stupid reason why it should be required. so if you are, dont bother, cuz im not changing my opinion. :p:smoking:

5. All social sciences courses?

So political science, sociology, psychology, all of these would be weeded out of under-grad and graduate school?

Give education to those who have ability and interest in math and sciences, and not to those who like to read/teach/use philosophers, authors, or theorists?

I know that a lot of degrees and courses are complete horseshit and should not be at a university level. But doing away with all the social sciences is a harsh and dangerous root to take.

6. I didn't even learn Trigonometry, how the fuck am I gonna do Calculus?

7. sure why not, I'm required to take sophomore literature. And I'm a chemistry major. Damn liberal arts...

8. Absolutely not.

And you seem to think the social sciences are less "scholarly" than the physical sciences. Such a view is naive, and it's clear you haven't advanced very far in your education if you hold such a view.

9. I got college physics credit in high school... taken Calc I, taking Calc II over the summer..

I do not wish this pain upon anyone who isn't in a math-related major

10. Knowing the fundamentals of algebra. The rest is just little additions

11. No. While I do agree that one should have an understanding of how the physical world acts and reacts, it really isn't necessary for many people to be able to quantify and calculate those things. This is why we have basic math requirements in our primary education system. Why would a psychology major need to know the ins and outs of Newtonian physics and kinematics???

Have fun with calc II! It sure does suck.

12. People have strengths in different areas. I didn't do so hot in Calc but am excelling in my Poli Sci courses but I know alot of people who are awesome at Calc but aren't proficient with "social sciences".

13. I'll admit, Im going into first year university, Political Science major, and ive never EVER been good with math or sciences.

Im talking low 60's, with the extra help and stuff. It's just not my thing. I wish I could grasp it, but it frustrates me and leaves me angry. This year I dropped all my math courses (only 2) for history and literature courses.

If I was told I had to do calculus and other pure/applied sciences to get through university, I would really reconsider my choice.

14. #14 NORRIN RADD, Apr 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2010
    Yeah little additions I have absolutely no use for and struggle greatly with even with additional help.

15. Higher math is usually quickly dismissed by people who have no intention to learn it, because they think they will never use it... of course they would think that, because they don't know yet, so they can't use it and they have gotten by ok... No, you don't need it, but like anything that people have devoted their lives to, it can color your experiences nicely. I just used integrals, which I learned about in high school, to determine the best way to keep my beer most delicious for the longest period of time possible.
    Besides, as Douglas Adams wisely pointed out, your brain is doing calculus very quickly any time you try to catch a ball. Or walk. Or throw a punch.
    Change over time, dudes.

16. Who is "we"?

17. You sound very sheltered and naive.

That's all I gotta say.

18. Those who can manage and take these types of courses/degree programs are in fact brighter than the average joe, they simply become wiser and more knowledgeable with age. Likely had more to do with the number of firing synapses when they were 3 months old, or that cool 8th-grade science teacher that convinced them they wanted to be a scientist or engineer when they grew up than it did any of these courses.

Besides, I've met Engineers with doctorates that are brilliant in their field yet have absolutely no common sense whatsoever. Some things in life are more valuable to have than pieces of framed paper on a wall...

19. I think it's been pretty well-established that people's brains can be wired differently. Some, like me, are better with broader concepts (sociology, history, literature), others are more in tune with mathematics and chemistry.

Forcing group A do do group B's work is absurd. I see no reason for this, other than some weird desire to control what others do.

20. exactly. why is it that we need more and more control, and more laws etc. pointless fucking rules.

thats just like me saying i think everyone should study art, and literature. because its more important to have a creative mind, then learn math that everyone else knows. ;)