The Daily Show vs The Colbert Report

Discussion in 'General' started by Foop, Jul 9, 2008.

1. I've always wanted to know other peoples opinions on the matter.

I watch both shows every night and I must say that I enjoy Colbert much more than I do Stewart. Both are comedic geniuses and have great writers working for them but I find that Colberts jabs and jest at this country's ideology and the current administration to be blistering and just damn hilarious.

While with Stewart we have a more intellectual approach to politics (at least more so than Colbert) but I find that The Daily Show can miss the mark alot, especially with their correspondent pieces. John Oliver, Susan B and that macho republican guy are hilarious... But John Hodgman and that skinny black kid with who does the Pop pieces just make me sick. They just are not funny.

Colbert on the other hand just has gone completely method with this character of his and I love every second of it. The show is all over the place but always hilarious, if he is talking about politics, bears, eagles or naming a bridge after himself.. it is all good. he always has interesting interviews and characters on his show unlike Stewart who can at times have very dry and boring interviews.

So what do you all think, Colbert or Stewart?

2. Well i completely disagree with you man.

I think that Colbert just has the exact same show every night, with the exact same interviews. He acts like a jackass which can be funny every now and then, but gets old after a while.

I believe Stewart has more interesting interviews and such, because he doesnt act like a jackass his whole show. I also believe that he is very funny when he reports on the news, and he can do it without making a fool of himself.

I have loads of respect for both people, especially when Colbert was at that journalist thing at the white house and jabbed loads of insults at the president who was sitting right next to him.

All opinion and sense of humor though.

3. i love them both equally :cool:

4. Hm... I'd say I probly like Stewart more, just because he deals with politics a lot more than Colbert and that makes it more interesting for me. But both of the guys are hilarious. Colbert's act of being O'Reilly is spot on. Two amazing shows. As for which show I like more, probly the Report because like someone said, the segments not done by Stewart on the Daily Show fail at least half the time.

5. I like them both but I just think colbert is funnier

6. Well that's the thing with Colbert, you have to understand what he is doing with the character to find it funny. Every time he acts arrogant/selfish/loathful I just crack up because he imitates Fox Pundits so well (especially O'Reilly) But I can see how you think it gets old.

I just love how in such a short period of time, that Colbert has his fingers so extended into everything it seems. He is constantly getting awards, things named after him, special recognition, gifts from famous people (He has Captain America's shield on his wall for fraks sake!)

I just find that some of The Daily Show's sheen has worn off over the years and that many of the jokes fall flat when it comes to the news pieces. Where with Colbert, you have a man that is just so out of this world that whatever he does just seems to work, and work well.

He is arrogant, he is selfish, he is a jack ass and an idiot but that is the whole point of the character and the show.

7. I feel like The Daily Show has more humor in it every other line is a joke. The Colbert Report has a bit less humor, but when it's funny, it's usually REALLY funny.

That being said, I really enjoy both. I'm not really sure which to pick..

8. I think Colbert, in the end, if funnier. Although Stewart does have the more intellectual style to it. You kinda gotta follow politics to get his stuff.

9. Cobert in the end is a satire on The Oreilly Factor, and it works nicely, the daily show does not follow the same rules as that so in the end for me is less funny.

10. jon stewart all the way

EDIT: wow 2,400th post son

11. Seems to me that Colbert is getting.... Crazier and crazier... Although I did thoroughly enjoy his show that I just literally.... 7 minutes ago lol

I like the Daily Show a little better because like someone else said it's a little bit more intellectual.. Well not really fuck they're the same damn show with different methods and techniques..

Love Them Equally.

12. I love Jon Stewart's intellectual wit. Gotta go with him.

13. Hearing Jon Stewart laugh is priceless. Plus, Colbert is a little too cocky. I know it is his intention to be offensive and act like a king on his show, especially with guests, but it always bothered me a little bit. But he doesn't need to act like he won the election.

Stewart seems more on the ball with everything happening. He is funnier too.

14. I think it's pretty hard to compare the two. They're both hilarious. Steven Colbert and Jon Stewart are two of the funniest people on TV, imo. If you haven't seen the Steven Colbert roast at the White House Conference Dinner in 2005(I think) it is 20 minutes of some of the funniest shit you will ever seen said to straight to George W's face.

15. I love/hate them both equally.

Weird poll. Why not have four options?

16. Colbert all the way

17. I always liked the daily show. I haven't really watched enough of the colbert show to be a fair judge though.

18. Cause I'm a fucking stoner.

19. colbert. i love The Word!

and his 434 part series "Know your congressmen"

20. I'm gonna have to go with The Colbert Report. Don't get me wrong, I like The Daily Show a lot, but the Report is just a tiny step above it. Colbert makes fun of the news by satirizing it, while Stewart goes for a more direct approach. Still effective, but Colbert's humor just has a certain wit about it. He actually requires you to think.