VHS Woes and X-Files Jonesing

Discussion in 'General' started by Foop, May 13, 2008.

1. I jumped on the DVD bandwagon the second the format came out. had a pretty extensive catalgue of VHS too. Said fuck that dinosaur shit, DVD is the wave of the future. Over the past 10 years I have been slowly amassing my DVD collection to something numbering in the 400's. Worked at a videostore for 2 and a half years and would always laugh a little when I saw someone rent new releases in the VHS format... I mean come on, you can pick up a damned DVD player at Wal-mart for 15 bucks these days, why the fuck would you still be watching that VHS shit? No special features except for maybe a featurette stuck at the back of the tape, bad video, bad audio and just lame packaging. DVD all the way.

And now the tables have turned. I have been jonesing to watch some X Files ever since the trailer for the new movie came out but low and behold! I only have the tv show on VHS!!! After years of not looking at my dinosaur of a VHS player, stuck in some far off corner of my house under a shit ton of books, I finally went on a hunt to assemble all the pieces back so I could enjoy some hot Mulder and Scully action... Took me 20 minutes to find the player and another 30 minutes to find my old tapes, but now I can't find the cables! Fuck me... I knew I should have held on to all my VHS tapes because I knew the day would come when I went crawling back to the format.

Guess when my tax return comes in the mail the first thing I will be buying is the Ultimate X Files collection off amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/X-Files-Compl..._bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1210648728&sr=8-1

So how many people here on the GC still use their VHS players? Any X-Files fans out there? If so post up here and lets get some X-Files discussion going (or not) favorite episodes? Favorite season? Excited about the new film?

And for those who have not seen, new trailer is here:
    http://movies.ign.com/dor/objects/3...t-to-believe/videos/xfilestrailer_050908.html

2. very excited for the new film. I stayed up till 3am last night to see the trailer debut online. I think it's cool how they didn't reveal any of the plot in the trailer except that this movie is about werewolves or vampires or something. I've been waiting a long time for this movie. I think one of the best episodes was Bad Blood or the black and white one which is fucking cool also. I'm defently gonna start rewatching some episodes soon before the movie

3. Oh yeah, Bad Blood is a great show (Luke Wilson is awesome in it) the black and white episode was Post-Modern Prometheus another solid one. My favorite episode has to be Drive, the dialogue between Mulder and Brain Cranston's character is just plain great. The new movie is going to be pretty damned awesome, I will be first in line opening day.

4. It's funny how I got into x-files. I've always been a ufo fanatic and when the x-files series finale aired and I saw how crazy people were going on forums I decided to watch it and while it wasn't the best finale , it made the show look awsome and I ordered the season 1 box set and instantly fell in love with the show, the rest is history. I loved the two parter- Dreamland also, had alot of classic comedic Mulder moments

5. I've been in a race against time to watch the entire series from start to finish before I Want to Believe debuts. Right now I am in the middle of Season 5, so about half way through.

I have always been a fan of the show and watched most of it already. I must say, watching the series chronologically makes complete sense of the conspiracy, at least so far. I recommend this tactic to anyone that can afford the complete series. I was lucky and found each season on sale for $20 each.

While I am quite identifiable with Scully rather than Mulder. However, I must say that I am very paranoid about the government, as she eventually came to be.

The truth is out there

6. Fuck I know! It might be a bit of time before I can even get the $250ish to buy the complete series so I will really have to crunch 9 seasons in before the movie premieres. But watching movies all my life, pretty much every day multiple times a day... I can say that I have perfected marathon TV view sessions.

7. Its just not the same watching them on the PC when you have a 49" widescreen HDTV infront of you with an upconvert DVD player.

8. I remember watching the X-files every friday night with a friend and some pizzas. Great show, movie sucked ass.

9. I thought the movie was actually really good if you know the X-Files mythology. Not great but still pretty damned sweet from what I can remember (been about 8 years since I have seen it though)

10. Just wondering, why make another movie after all this time? I pretty much forgot about the x-files really. Instead, I wish they continued making shows on tv.

11. I don't really know quite why they picked now. There are still some unanswered questions out there but there is no way this will be a box office success. I think they are probably making this movie understandable to those who have never seen X-Files just as much as the die hard fans (think the Serenity movie for Firefly fans) and hoping that their kick ass trailer (and more to come) will draw the summer crowd in droves, die hard fans and new comers alike.

12. i still use my vhs player. i even buy in vhs sometimes if i find a good deal on a movie i want. i got a vhs of a good move for like a buck once. plus my mom has all 3 star wars on vhs from when they first came out on vhs and most of the old star trek movies so i enjoy that

13. My family has all seasons. For a few moths there, I took it upon myself to watch every episode. I stopped around the time that Mulder was off the show. It was still good and interesting, don't get me wrong. But nothing beats Mulder's antics.
    gosh, favorite episode? Idk. I don't remember the names, and all of them are kinda blurred together- rofl.
    If I remember anything specific, I'll update.

14. i have all the seasons in dvd and i have no idea how many times i have watched them.plus the movie.
    i was kinda of bored when mulder was off show but still its x files..(though it wasnt as good as it used to be)i think it was about 7th season mulder was adopted.dont really remember...one of my favourite episodes is small potatos (i think.) the episode where mulder is locked somewhere and the guy that can take change into anyone takes his place. especially the scene where he is in front of the mirror trying how to say FBI..hahha so funny....aaa...i was like in love for years with mulder...
    as for the seasons the first seasons were better in my opinion..so many great episodes.. when i learned a new x files movie would come out i said it was a god's gift for all the bad movies coming out the last years..
    actually theres not a xfiles episode i didnt like..maybe the one about cancerman"mushes of a smoking man"?i dont remember exactly the title now..

ohh..Xfiles...i loooooooove xfiles...

15. Yeah, when Mulder left it wasn't the same. As long as Scully was still there, though, it was alright. But once she left, and it was Doggett and Reyes, then it was over. Can't wait for X-Files II this summer.

16. they came back...aaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!MUUUUUUULDEEEEEEER......:love:
    seriously if you havent seen the last episode you should...i didnt like reyes too. but dogget was fine(of course cant be compared with mulder...)
    I knew there would be a comeback!!!!i knew it! i mean what about the truth??what they would just dissapear??and what about the baby??what about the virus???
    seriously..what about their baby??

there will never be a better show..never.(period)

17. Yeah Doggett was the man

And I'm pretty sure I saw the last episode, the one with the crazy ancient Anasazi pueblo village where the Cigarette Smoking Man was living? And then a bunch of black helicopters shoot the motherfucker up with missiles?

18. here ut is..my pride..uuhh...
    when i was like 5 and my older brother and older sister were watching the show i saw one scene from the episode with the creepy family who lived in a house deserted and were killing people..i remember watching the scene were one of them enter the policemans i think house and his wife is under the bed and they see her hand and lift up the bad and stuff..they were so ugly and i freak out so much that for years i was listening the firt note of the xfiles song and i had the creeps...:rolleyes:
    and at some point i saw the first episode and stuck....
    anyone who has never seen x files doesnt know what he is missing...
    i always get obsessed when talking about xfiles..

Attached Files:

19. What I would not give to have those DVD's in my hand.