The Great Outdoors, Camping, Backpacking, Trekking, and Vagabonding Thread.

Discussion in 'General' started by Heinous Anus, Jun 4, 2007.

1. If you've got stories, wisdom, pearls of advice, experience on any of these topics, please share them here.

Since, this topic if far too broad for a separate forum, I'm going to take Durchii's advice and just make a massive thread out of it.

I figured "General" would be a good forum for this. Move it to where you like though, if this isn't fit for here.

Here are few references to check in with:

Equipment -
    http://forum.grasscity.com/general/154347-camping-backpacking-equipment-3.html

Cheap Travel -
    http://forum.grasscity.com/general/147539-inexpensive-travel.html

If you haven't been able to notice by now, I'm completely obsessed with travel and survival. Any and all things that go along with it. So, I'm trying to combine all my different threads of one related subject, into a single place for us all the share.

Now, I know there are plenty of people on this forum that are dying to live-off-the-grid more than they already are. To challenge their lives to the unknown. Living out of your pack, not knowing what's going to happen from day-to-day.

Since there many of us like that on here. I'm sure someone has some interesting stories to share.

I'll go first. One of my first times Vagabonding.

I was in Egypt. Probably 60 miles south of Cairo. I was out in the desert with a guy from Estonia. I had just met him a few days, prior on a 3rd class train, that I thought wouldn't make it passed a few miles.

Well, we head off into the desert. We had our general course. To wind up in this little town where we can meet up with fellow travelers. It was going to take us 2 days, 3 at most. Well, the first night we camped out near some old, rusted, abandoned cars.

Mind you, we didn't have a tent. Just some sleeping bags and fire going. We were under the stars, toking up, (GREAT hash in Egypt by the way.), and just sharing thoughts with one another. Well, we're dazed, totally out of and really tired from the 30 miles we had trekked that day. We begin to drift off.

Now, I had no idea at this point that Scorpions are attracted to warmth and fire at night. I found out the hard way, they are.

The first sting was on my thigh. Luckily, these weren't really that venomous. Just feels like intense bee-stings. I bolt up. Screaming like a little girl, rubbing my hands all over my body to flick off what ever the hell was on me. I turn on my flashlight, and see dozens of black scorpions on the ground.

I get stung again on my ankle. My Estonian friend groggily wakes up and right as he does, gets stung on his ass. He freaks out, and does the same thing. You know when you accidently walk face first into a spider web in the woods and hadn't noticed it? You freak out, scream, and run around saying, "They're in my hair! They're in my hair!" Well, that's what two 19 year olds were doing.

So, after we flick 20 scopions away with our sticks, we end up sleeping ontop of the roof of a rusted out car, we were camping next to.

We made it to our city though. A few swollen welts, and some pain. But, we made it. This taught us a valuable lesson. Scorpions like heat at night.

Still, just a funny story too look back on 2 years later.

Lets hear anything you have to share!

[​IMG]

Not just stories, but advice. Packing correctly, where to go, where not to go. Anything related to travel. This is the thread it should be in. :D

2. Even if you were just on a two-hour hike. Let's hear about it.

Hell, I've been on a 2 mile hike before and experienced more than 3 days out in the in the wilderness. Nothing should be left unsaid here. :)

3. Lol as soon as i saw the title of this thread i knew it was from you.

edit: damn! I just read that story. that would FUCKING SUCK!

fuck scorpions. They are my worst fear along with spiders and bees.

4. This is vital: keep your socks dry, and if not, dry them out ASAP.

5. Trench foot is your enemy.

I buy some expensive socks. "Smartwool", well worth it though. $11 a pair. You're right. Foot care is one of the top things you need to take care of.

No cotton in wet climates, ever. Wool and synthetics. Cotton is your enemy in humid climates.

6. Especially on long hikes.

There is nothing worse that having a badly infected blister and staring down an 8 km hike.

7. Me and my buddy were camping out one weekend after hiking, and I took the majority of the fire responsibilities (I fed it 3 or 4 times during the night, he only had to do it once at 2 am).

Well he was pretty nervous- so nervous he actually had to wake me up so he could get the courage to get out of his tent.

I guess he could hear things off in the distance.

Good times busting him after that....... what a wuss :laughing:

8. A funny story about bees.

My youngest brother and I are going camping on 53 acres of land that my best friend now owns.

Well, we get to the site we choose as home for that night. We bring along our two dogs. A black lab, and golden retriever.

We start to move logs, and rocks, to make our camp site. My littlest brother moves one log (we're in NC at the time), and doesn't know that a yellow jacket colony claimed that piece of wood as home.

He pushes it out of the way, disturbs the nest and they get pissed and start to swarm. My brother starts to run. Now, my dogs think he's just playing and start to chase after him and jump all over him. He gets knocked down by the golden retriever and one of the bees stings him, literally, right between the eyes. His face swells.

He looked like a fat, chinese, white-dude. I never laughed so hard in my life. Mind you, EVERYONE in my family is allergic to bees but him and I. So, we just wait for the swelling to go down. No harm, really.

But, man, was that a funny sight.

9. I guess I'm lucky. I've always worn thick enough socks to never have a blister. I've ran track and had blisters then. But, never while hiking.

Cheeba - Yea, I know what you mean. I took and ex-girlfriend on a simple camping trip once. No more than 2 miles and a really, nice section of land that plenty of people called home before.

Easy, novice-like camp. She FREAKED out at any sound she heard. Be it a cracked twig, she shot up, screaming like a bear was gonna rip us to shreds. So hard to calm someone down then.

Funny, now that I look back. But, annoying when I'm trying to sleep at 3 AM. :eek:

10. And, now its raining.

I wish I were out there. After building my own shelter with a tarp. I want to live by my small fire, trapping game, and living the most simplistic life-style I can. :)

11. Actually, I still have a small scar the back of ankle from where I kept scratching the sting. Its just red now...

12. Not me.

I like to understand the basic elements of personal survival, but I think regressing to a hunter-gatherer society is just that; regression and totally useless.

If somebody ACTUALLY did that, they'd be significantly shortening their lifespan and quality of life.

13. True.

I was half-drunk when I posted that. I still want a place to call home. But, I do want to rough it a lot.

14. It's pouring here right now. :(

I've been on some pretty good hikes, my longest being 7/8 miles in CO. Love toking up in the great outdoors, some of my best experiences have been from smoking and then heading out exploring. Great feeling so connected to nature. :)

15. i got a tip, dont forget to bring a towel. its true, towels are so useful while wandering the world (or the galaxy ;) ). they can be a blanket, a backup pair of clothes, bandage, drying off of course, covering your head in the sun, the list goes on..... i think.

16. yo, i've been reading all your stuff heinous :) good stuff, still young but im seriously considering the stuff you do. anywho, here's a story i have actually from this weekend when me and a friend went camping.

So we're camping right, fire going, tent, etc. next to this lake. okay. well i notice that my friend is slowing down on his drinking ( spending most of his time on the phone, which really angered me..i mean...you can talk on the phone at home...we're camping dude! )

Anyway, Fast foreward, i got very very drunk because he didnt finish his portion ( and i did for him ) lol. I end up somehow passing out next to the lake, instead of the tent....which doesnt bother me at all, i love just sleeping outside on a blanket outside ( call me weird...but whatever ) i was jamming my iPod and i fell asleep next to this lake. My friend searches for like 3 hours and cant find me and starts wigging out.....i wake up at 6AM and head back to camp, this guy didnt sleep at all that night because he was in his truck trying to find me for about 3-4 hours. i thought it was funny as hell, but he didnt...i mean shit dude....we're in a state park, theres almost no way i can get lost here...i can handle my own shit ya know? I mean its funny because i was literally less than 50 yards away from the camp, and this guy is searching about 700+ yards away from where our camp site is. I mean, i wont ever wander far anyway, much less when im drunk.....

17. Haha, that is a good one. :)

One time when I was 18, a few buddies and I went camping. Nothing too extreme.

Well, I was really, really, drunk and high. I mean, totally shit-faced. I somehow had wandered off.

...and fell asleep on a road. Its about midnight, so not many cars were around. But, hell. Why did I think a paved road in blackness would make a good bed?

My buddies were all searching for me. Finally, they found me, and tried to wake me up, saying I could be killed. (all while laughing the entire time.)

Funny shit. :)

18. Ah, c'mon...no love for this video?

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zoBvVXluE0M"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zoBvVXluE0M" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

I think it goes great for the Vagabonder/Trekker.

19. dont bring a pillow, sleep on your backpack or arms.

dont bring lots of clothes.

keystone is cheap.

dumpsterdive = free food.

hitchiking = free travel.

if you buy a greyhound ticket a week in advance its 1/2 off.

if you smoke, smoke rolling tobacco, way cheaper.

if you look/act like a 'respectable citizen' people are more likley to give you money on the street.

theres alot of plants that are edible, do research.

if you are in bear country bring a whistle and make noise so bears get scared.

20. dude! same thing happened to one of my other friends, except he had a shitload of pills in him too, i guess its just something about the road that looks comfy! passed out in the road, spread eagle style.

this dude passed out in the middle of a paved road in a park, good thing the place we camp at is hardly even known. funny shit.

thats what i love about camping, you can pass out almost anywhere, not worry about police or driving and shit. its great =]