soil recipes

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by jmoney989, Feb 16, 2009.

1. I would like to hear everyones soil recipes. hopin for a long list.

2. ...Your list aint lookin too long there jmoney:p.

Theres lots of already existing threads discussing this, people dont want to answer the same question every time someone asks. No what im sayin?;)

3. I have written mine out lots of times. Do a SEARCH and you will find it.

4. #4 Corto Malteze, Feb 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2009
    There isn't one soil mix.

What you put in the outdoor mix depends mainly on your weather. Start by finding a wild water spring. Then find a spot. Use what's near the site if possible (especially the top layers). See soil amendment link to have a general understanding. Test the pH of of the soil that looks good near your spot to use.

You have to distinguish what you add as amendment in Fall (if you have a year round spot), Winter or Early Spring from the soil mix(es).

Amendment:

Per 2x2x2-3' deep hole, add about 1/2 shovel composted horse manure (or other but some like chicken shit need 6 months to decompose -burn-), 1 cup blood meal (or alfalfa meal if no time to cool off and you fear for the smell), 1 and 1/2 cup bone meal + a little native soil and compost. Mulch. After 1-2 months, bring soil mix, separate the ferts from the root ball and plant. You can add more manures (30) mixed in to the soil if this is left for longer (6-12 months).

If too acidic, add dolomite lime (works after 6 months only) or ashes (quick) or eggshells (grind to use faster). Don't mix with fresh manures. Place in soil mostly, or on top layers.

Hot region guerilla soil mix:

For my dry region, I add in May (to use in June or whenever - no burn), in percentages:

20 Vermiculite (holds water) + 10 Perlite (drains). They both air out your soil too. They don't feed your plant a lot so don't add too much. Wear mask when handling these, don't breathe. Safe for your plant and environment.

+ 20 worm castings (fresh made is better see OP's worm casting bin sticky): humic and fulvic acids.

+ 20 local loam/top soil

+ 20-30 old compost for humic and fulvic acids also in the manures

+ 10-20 peat (it retains some water but is useless and not good for the plant if it dries out completely so keep it wet or don't use too much if watering can be a problem like here).

+ Rock dust (basalt): trace elements.

+ OP's fish.

Water saving techniques:

- have a water spring nearby and use only a few containers.
    - line the bottom of the hole with a few layers of brown paper bags, cardboard (decompose after a few months so ok for environment and lets plants' roots go through later).
    - water crystals: Most are synthetic (paradoxical if you're going all organic imo ). Some are organic but very pricey.
    - OP's and CB's water machines.
    -Leapfrog's Water tubes
    -Always generous mulch to prevent evaporation of water and temperature changes.
    - don't use a 10 hour sun spot. 5-6 is perfect.

Rainy region guerilla soil mix:

- use thick sand and grit to drain well.
    - Manures and 20 compost (the micro organisms fed on organic teas and soil will hold nutes in better than a soil with chemicals - leaching.)
    - 20-30 Top soil.
    - Sand and perlite to drain (30% total).
    - Add 30 peat to air out soil and keep water too. It will work better than in a hot region (for guerilla) as it will stay moist. Wet the peat before mixing it in if it's dry.
    - Get sunnier spot if possible.
    - Use nettles, seaweed and other preventive organic anti-fungal sprays and teas. Choose strain accordingly.
    - rock dust
    - fish

Harvest, dry, cure for 2-3 months, enjoy.