Cannabisblunt's Easy Gravity Irrigation System (Pics) -Outdoor Guerrilla Farming

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by cannabisblunt, Dec 9, 2008.

1. #1 cannabisblunt, Dec 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2008
    Lugging in 7 gallons of water by backpack every 3 days was a pain this rain-less summer in California. Its time that we plan ahead and water every 2 weeks (time varies with plant #s). I, cannabisblunt, present to you, the most efficient hillside auto watering system in 2009...

1. Obtain Essential Tank System Parts (Local Hardware Store):

- a 55 gallon tank
    - a 3/4" spigot
    - a powerdrill with 7/8" spade bit
    - a bastard file
    - an automatic water timer
    - basic gravity feed drip (http://www.dripdepot.com/131.html)
    - A few joints and an hour of time:smoking:

2. Assembly Instructions:

Obtain 55 gal drum.
    [​IMG]

Drill a hole at the bottom.
    [​IMG]

File down the hole to fit the spigot.
    [​IMG]

Screw in the spigot.
    [​IMG]

Before adding the piping it should look like this:
    [​IMG]

Now its time for the automatic water timer (Thanks ODGG):
    [​IMG]

Attach the gravity drip once at the site and make sure that it can flow with gravity down the hill to your plants.

Tips:

• Check for free buckets and drums online at Craigslist, or ask at local hardware stores, car washes, stables, farms etc.
    • Check for leaks every visit to the plot
    • Bury the line in the ground.
    • Spray paint with camo colors or cover with camo netting.

2. I like it but how do you even think about filling a 55 gallon drum with water? If you can carry 7 gallons of water each trip it would still take more than 7.5 trips to fill that thing.

I realise you said there it little rain in Cali during the summer , but you may want to consider cutting the top off of that beast and putting like netting on the top. That way, even the slightest amount of rainfall can be gathered without the risk of dust leaves and animals getting into it.

Also, how are nutrients added?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Well, for my situation I am trying to minimize the number of visits (# of times driving out to the plot) as possible, not the amount of water lugged in. I could easily get five 10 gallon jugs, fill them up, place them in my car and hike them in to the plot up to the tank once every 2 weeks. Also, it helps that i have muscles, and so does my growing partner :D

Cutting the top would allow for water to evaporate in the 90 degree summer days, but good idea if you live in a climate where it rains during the summer.

As for nutrients, I dont see anything wrong with filling the tank with 1/2 strength nutes and feeding the plants for 2 weeks, then 2 weeks of 1/4 strength nutes...and continuing the cycle, adjusting based on how the plants are doing- of course making sure flushing is incorporated.

4. Good stuff Cannabis. Seems like you do have the bases covered. Sometimes I have a tendency to confuse my own growing situation with others on here , and thinking all grows are the same. In reality, no two grows are exactly identical.

My grow happens to be a not too long hike, but veryyyy steep. Hauling that amount of water up the incline I would have to would be nearly impossible.

Keep up the good work. I expect big things.

5. ah i see, well i made my plot plan. here we go...
    [​IMG]

6. Hey CB, did you take art in school ? lol great idea nice set up.

7. Nice, are you going to paint or bury that baby?

8. lol hey now, dont rag on my artistic skills...im giving you guys a nice outline of what it should look like. :D

9. im considering painiting it brown and sticking it up against a tree. if someone walks near the plot they'll know whats going on, so basically im hiding it from the eyes in the sky...and under a tree is perfect.

10. Do you think this could work longer if used on 3 plants CB (my plots are 2 or 3 plants)? I saw OldPork's machine but I think he only used it as emergency. I wish I could get one of those and make it work alone for 3 weeks. Possible?:D

11. if you used it (a 55 gal drum) for 3 plants you could probably leave it alone for 7 weeks haha. im sure it would be too much work to set this up for only a few plants, but if you are willing to, go ahead. i am going to judge how frequent i have to refill based on outside temperatures, number of plants, mulch, feedings etc.

Basically, go ahead and use it for your 3 plants, and you wont have to water for a LONG time. 55 gallons is a lot :D

12. I have my answer. Nice work CB. Do you think I could push it up to a month? That would be sooooo helpful. I hear you man, there is no rain here either in the summer. It's good of course but you need to water a lot. I suppose you tested this at home. Great stuff!

13. Oh our msges crisscrossed. What size do you suggest for 3 plants to last about 3 weeks? Thanks.

14. Yeah C I did the math. I need 20 gallons for 3 weeks for 3 plants. So with 40, it's 6 weeks and with 55 it's about 7-8 weeks. See you got the same result. I told you we grow in the same weather. Hawhawhaw!

15. haha yes its true, i have calculated with a 55 gal drum, watering 10 plants every 4 days with 1 gallon would make me have to refill every 21 days. this is awesome because i will probably come check every 2 weeks to give nutrients

16. looking at the sweet art diagram, you will have 13 plants? i have used a 5 gallon bucket per plant in gurellia growing with a small hole at the bottom 3/16th or smaller with a lid and it worked pretty well. i also tried it with a dripper at the end of a small hose but it drained to fast. this is just another possabilty, but your idea is the classic:D

17. i did a rough sketch with that diagram. i will decide in spring how many exactly i want to plant...depending on how ambitious i feel :D
    but really i will set it up so that the plants are spaced enough to get full light, even when they have grown.

18. Don't you mean 10 gallons (not 1) every 4 days? 10 gallons X 5days (21 /4) = 50 gallons for 20 days. Probably a typo.