Sticky Sides - Organic Fertilizing Technique

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by THeCloset, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Sticky Sides - Advanced Organic Fertilizing Technique

As with my Perfect Odour Neutralizer post, I must first say that this technique is not of my own ingenuity but something I've founs and simply care enough about all of you to share.

I got this technique from an article in Skunk Magazine written by "The Rev" and am certainly convinced enough to use it this grow around as well as share it with all of you.

This technique is applied when transplanting your seedlings into more permanent containers.

This technique takes advantage of the sides and bottom of the container where there's more direly needed oxygen for the roots to absorb.

Remember, in organic gardens we feed the soil, then the plant. We want to create a livable environment for all of our friendly microscopic critters that make Mary Jane smile from ear to ear.

Materials
    Bone Meal
    Blood Meal
    Manure of your choice - (cow, steer, bat guano, rabbit shit)
    Molasses
    Planting Containers
    Purified water (let tap water sit 24 hours) - evaporates the chlorine and more
    Spray bottle
    Potting mix of your choice or construction

Pics
    1. Skunk Magazine
    scan0004.jpg

2.Plant Grown With This Technique
    scan0002.jpg

2. Step One

Mix two tbspns Molasses to a quart of your cleanest purest water.

Spray the interior of your containers with this solution.

(Molasses is well known for giving plants a sugar boost, but also provides a good area for micro organisms to thrive.)

Stripe the interior with bone meal and blood meal as shown in the attached picture.

Planting Container Striped With Fertilizer
    scan0003.jpg

3. Step Two

Mix your manure of choice 75% with 25% perlite (for aerage) and put an inch or two into the bottom of your containers.

Fill the rest of your containers with your potting mix.

Do yourself a favour and make your own soil.

An easy one I'm using this grow around is 25%, equal parts, each perlite, vermiculite, peat moss and worm castings.

4. Step Three

Transplant your little guys

5. Step Four

Mulch.

Mulching, is the act of applying a material above your soil to keep moisture in and light
    out, it allows the top of your soil to remain in the dark where micro organisms live.

This technique suggests using shredded bark as mulch.

6. Step Five

Let it grow and fertilize as you see fit.

I'm going to fertilize the same way as in my last grow,

I'll add crushed eggshells as well as tea and coffee grounds to my mulch and water with 2 tbspns molasses per quart every other watering, and occasionaly with a fish emulsion solution.

That's It!

Hope it works for you.

7. whats going on brah.. i just read your thread about the perfect... odour neutralizer...
    thanks for the info about that... but what im here for... if you seen it in high times... subcool made an artical about organic fertilizer.. he calls 'super soil' ... almost the samething... but im thinking of using both methods... sorta.. with the Molasses and maybe the mulch... but here is the step by step with the super soil...

This is yet one more Soil Mixing tutorial. This one is going to focus on making a batch in the city while keeping it neat and tidy. First we use a tarp and a sheet of plywood under so the shovel will slide easily as we mix and scoop.

Here is the recipe to make this concentrate!
    You cannot grow plants directly in this super concentrate!

6 Bags Roots soil or equivalent high quality supped up grow soil
    Note**I am trying a new product made by a local company that contains less fir bark called Harvest Moon
    25 pounds Pure Worm Castings
    ½ cup Azomite trace minerals
    2/3 Cup Sweet Lime IE Dolomite
    1 Kilo Bone meal / IE 5 Pounds
    1 Kilo Blood meal ( I use a bit more bone than Blood in this recipe)
    1 Kilo Bat Guano bloom formula preferably Fruit bats
    3/4 cup Epson Salts
    The Perlite and Coco I happen to have and it will make a better mix but it is not necessary.

First we take the tarp and the Lucky rug and lift the edges to form a 2 sided pan.
    So now we put on the muck boots these help me kick the soil around and get it mixed up well.

So lets make a nice pile of Roots soil.
    We layer the ingredients so they can be mixed well.

Contuing to build my montain behind the fence I built just for stuff like this

8. Now we put our backs into it and mix like crazy
    I alternate cans untill the pile is gone.
    So we add water and let it cook in the sunshine. 30 days is best for this concentrate and it can be used to condition soil as detailed in the soil 101 thread. Do Not Put Clones or Seeds in this mix!

I will use this for a full year just adding like 30-50% in the lower potion of the container and plain roots in top portion. As the concentrate gets older I can use more. To re use I just recondition.

Next we will look at building a medical grow room capable of producing 2-4 pounds of primo organic buds every 60 days

9. Once the soil has cooked or sat for a month or so were ready to transplant into the final pots. I use #10 nursery pots now that will hold a full 7 gallons of liguid. I 7 may not sound bigger than a 5 but let me tell you these slanted #10 pots hold a bunch of soil!
    So I store the soil in large cans and then use the same kiddie pool I mix in to transplant in. Helps keep the mess down. I fill each pot ¾ full with the super soil. I then fill the top half with plain potting soil. This buffers the roots and gives the plants time to get used to the hot soil I use.

10. It's important to water the plants well before transplanting. This helps prevent shock a nice damp root ball will make a happy plant. Make sure the roots do not touch direct super soil use you hand to mix the plain potting soil around with the super soil. Place a hand full of plain soil in the hole you transplant in. Gently flip the plant upside down. Wack the bottom with palm of hand to loosen the root ball. Support the plant by placing hand on pot allowing stem to protrude though fingers. Remove from pot and support the base. Flip upright and place in hole made into the soil.

11. Fill in the area and smooth over the soil. I like to lift pot and bang in once on the concrete to settle it all down then I pack it down a bit with hands. Make sure soil is slightly under pot rim so water will not run over. Always keep labels straight removing tag from pot and placing into new container 1 at a time. Crossing moms is a major nono. Load into room and take a look at all the hard work!