Mr.Bubb|es - Carbon Filter

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Mr.Bubb-es, Feb 1, 2009.

1. #1 Mr.Bubb-es, Feb 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2009
    About this time last year I had my official "Growing Out Of Business Sale" and gave away most of my essentials.

Today I built a simple carbon filter and I thought I would share some pictures of the process.

Supplies;
    2 x 6" duct clamps
    4 x 4" duct clamps
    1 x 8" to 6" duct reducer
    1 x 6" starter collar
    2 x Extra Large panty hose
    1 X 36" x 48" steel garden fence w/ small holes
    1 x 6" End Cap
    1 x 8" End Cap
    Duct Tape

Here is a picture of the supplies;

Carbon Filter 1.jpg

The first step is to create the inner chamber of the filter. Use the 6" end cap for the base and the 6" started collar for the top. Wrap, measure, and cut the wire to fit around the two. I use twisty ties to hold everything in place.

Carbon Filter 2.jpg

Next cut the legs off one set of the pantyhose and flip the chamber upside down and pull a leg from the panty hose over the metal wire. Repeat with the other pantyhose leg. Finally use the both 6" duct clamps to secure everything together.

Carbon Filter 3.jpg

The outer chamber assembly is much the same. Use the 8" end cap at the bottom and 8" to 6" reducer at the top. Again using zip ties to secure. Here is where I am now. Note the 8" to 6" reducer will be removed a few times after this point.

Carbon Filter 4.jpg

Next you want to do a few dry runs by placing the inner chamber inside the larger tube. You will likely need to cut down the outer metal fence material. Note the inner chamber and its 6" starter collar should fit pretty snug in the 8" to 6" reducer while you take your final measurements. Note when cutting down the outer metal fence material always leave yourself a little extra, its easy to trim down to size.

Carbon Filter 5.jpg

Next drill a hole in 6" to 8" reducer to allow you to fill the unit. After I got the hole I used a set of needle nose pliers to widen it enough for my funnel. Now fit the inner tube 6" starter into the 6" to 8" reducer and apply duct tape around as seen here.

Carbon Filter 7.jpg

Sit the top reducer and inner chamber now connected to the side. (Not Pictured) Use the rear end / buttocks portion of the BOTH sets of Pantyhose to pull over the outer large chamber. You should pull it from the bottom over the top of the metal so a little pantyhose goes inside for a clean look. (Not Shown Yet). Remember the 8" to 6" reducer and inner chamber are off to the side, you are pulling the pantyhose over the 8" end cap and metal fence material at this point.

Carbon Filter 6.jpg

Now drop the outer reducer w/ the inner chamber still attached into the outer shell you just pulled the pantyhose over. Once everything is secure combine the 4 x 4" duct clamps to create 2 x 8" duct clamps and secure as seen.

Carbon Filter 8.jpg

Finally fill it up with Carbon and slap a pieces of duct tape over the hole you drilled. I bought a 5 gallon bucket of carbon on Ebay years ago for about $30 dollars and still have a ton left. If you goto the fish store and buy your carbon you will pay a PREMIUM.

Here is the finished product.

Carbon Filter 9.jpg

If you notice in the first picture there is a blue electrostatic filter, normally I would wrap that around the outer lay over top the pantyhose to make it pretty but opted not to because it restricted airflow.

You have probably seen this build a million times, you may even have a better system so feel free to post your tips. The cost was roughly $30.00 without the carbon. I typically run two of these in my space. Feel free to post questions.

2. great post +rep,

3. Great post maybe a sticky! good shit

4. #4 Mr.Bubb-es, Feb 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2009
    The last thing I want to add; Don't build your carbon filter to fit my space use the concept to build the unit to fit your needs. Build it taller if you have a high output Vortex or Can-Fan. Need something smaller, build your inner chamber with 4" materials and your outer chamber with 6". Use the concept to fit your needs :)

5. very nice. very nice indeed.

6. very nice step-by-step. i plan on building a similar 4" filter using your technique. thanks :smoke:

7. very nice guide. ill probably be using this one in my next grow. i got a question though. what kind of fan would be used for this?

8. There are a ton of fans you can use with a carbon filter like this one. I use a Can-Fan but any decent squirrel / centrifugal fan will do. I would stay clear of PC fans and the inlines you find at most Home Depot's and Lowes.

I will be hooking this filter up to the BLUE fan on the floor of my room. You can see the images in the My Setup thread in my Sig. This fan has intakes on each side. One side pulls cool air in the room and the other side will recirculate the air through the carbon filter in this thread. This fan has been my lifesaver, two birds with one stone.

One I complete the above I will post some pictures in the setup thread along with the make a model of the fan and parts...

9. update with make and stats of fan?

10. I got your PM, some more info about the fan can be found in my setup thread. I just attached the new filter and its working great. Check out the setup thread and let me know if you have any other questions...

11. Great post, thanks man! How does this compare to one you would purchase? Does it work just as well or close to it?

Thanks

12. something with a dIY carbon filter should be stickied...its just such useful information you will never know when you will need it again

13. #13 Mr.Bubb-es, Feb 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2009
    Depends on what you buy. In the end you are going to get a better bang for your buck building something yourself. The concept is important here and my hope is to inspire peoples to build their own to suit THEIR space.

IMO I would say it works just as well if not better. :cool:

In the past I have always chosen a healthy mother without a ton of odor. There we will no discrimination based on smell this grow.

14. Bubbles your links are great, I read your CFL setup link last night as I am thinking of upgrading my vegging area ( I flower using HPS). Also I already own a carbon filter and it was expensive but if I'd have found this thread first I would have give it a go for sure!

+ newbie rep, you lucky thang!

Keep it up

15. Cool, thanks again for the great post. Simple to follow yet definitely looks like a quality design.

16. you missed one item on your list i think, the 8" end cap for the outer cylinder. definite thanks for all the help!

17. GOOD CATCH :) Its shown in the pictures I just forget to list it in the inventory :D

18. Mr. Bubbles, you didn't say what size garden wire to use for the filter in this tutorial. Will 1/4 inch work or does it need to be smaller? Also, what kind of carbon did you buy from ebay
    (pellets or what?)?

Thanks

19. Repped...and thanks all the help and posting this tutorial. It helps newbs like me get goin...

Can someone please tell me if 1/4 inch garden wire will work or what was used to create this filter?

20. This is a good step-by-step, Mr. B... +rep. This would've definitely saved me some brainstorming time!

Check out the small scale filter in my sig, I'll be finishing up the caulking soon (been a little lazy, and no need for the filter yet), and am hoping that this will be a proper solution, when paired with a decent PC fan. From what I'd seen, many of the PC fan filters were either highly restrictive, underpowered, or both.