anyone try the CFL that works like an ionic breeze?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by amoril, Jan 19, 2009.

1. I was at home depot or lowes the other day, not sure which, and saw an odd looking CFL.

Same bulb size as a 26w (its not a huge cfl) BUT has a ballast/base that would accomodate a MUCH larger bulb.

Turns out, its an anion bulb. Produces 900000 anions/minute or some shit. Basically, works to reduce scents/pollutants in the air, in the same way an ionic breeze works.

Anyone try these out? If they actually work, even just moderately, Ill put one in my cab. 10 bucks is CHEAP odor reduction.

2. show us a link i want to see it:)

3. Hey amoril,
    I saw that at Home Despot too. I am as curious as you are

4. And now www.fuzing.com, with a wide spec sheet and a lot of other CFL designs, it's a chinese manf's site, no pricing, but interesting

5. im probably gonna get one next time im near home depot (lowes by my house doesnt have it)

so, Ill let you all know around the end of the week if it works and how well

6. puling my chair up to this one. Hop back on this thread and let me know if it works. Got any plants making stinky right now?

7. yeah, the whole room is really starting to have a little whiff of delicious.

8. Lucky devil. I'm toying with the idea of starting her in a bit. Def. post back on here if these things are worth the money. I'd love to be able to have odor control this cheap...

9. Hey Again
    Yeah I'nterested, mine (15) are between 5 and 8 in tall 3.5 weeks in veg. and half the house smells like fresh green tomatoes!! Carbon filter in the design stage now, but with this??

10. would these lights possibly remove some of the smell from your buds too even after drying?

11. I have heard other people claim they dont work worth a damn. I haven't tried them either, was hoping someone would try them and report back.

12. if it works like it should, no.

It SHOULD ionize the air, and thusly remove particulate matter by creating an ionic field (look up negative ionization). Once the field is no longer being generated, the ions will very quickly finish reacting and be over. It will work more to create undetectable wind currents, slowly circulating air.

It removes odor from air, but doesnt actively go out snuffing anything that produces the odor

a quick search shows that cervantes says it works, or at least negative ion generators work, in his book "Marijuana Horticulture : The Indoor/Outdoor Medical Grower's Bible" on page 345-346, so theres good reason to think this light will work, assuming its not all marketing hype on their end.

Ill know this weekend:hello:

13. looking forward to a report. I'm sure it wouldn't work very well for a large op but I'm looking at doing like a 2-4 female scrog or lst in my closet. I haven no ability to do active ventilation without carving through walls, but I'm not going to have many plants to begin with. If these work it would make my life a lot easier. looking forward to hearing word back. I got a +rep waiting for ya when you come back with a report good or bad. Peace bro!

14. heres the update

I bought one at lowes, 13 dollars. its a 26w cfl + ionizer. (only wattage they had).

emits light closer to the blue spectrum (cant find a listing to verify exact color temp, but its more blue than a 5500k ;))

and, the importand part....

its not a carbon filter, but it does reduce the odor. The whole room the cabinet is in did have a serious stench...DID

it still has a faint smell, but nothing like it was, and a lot less identifiable as well (as in, not as easily recognizable, smells more vague). So, it definately isnt a bad way to spend 13 bucks.

and for the record, this is after 30 minutes. light is placed as close as possible to the exit vent on the grow cab.

15. +rep as promised! You're my hero dude. hell ya I'll spend the money if it works! I won't need much odor control so two of these should work out fine. And I'm of the philosophy that in veg you still need SOME red spectrum light and in flowering you still need SOME blue spectrum. In nature, there is always some of both spectrum, but in the fall when plants are fruiting the wavelength is longer, in the red spectrum, because of the angle the light is coming through the atmosphere. so even if these are blue spectrum bulbs, that no problem I'll just use these as my blue spectrum CFL's during flowering. Bravo Amoril!

16. #18 xshadowshooter, Jan 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2009
    Someone posted a few (maybe six) months ago about this and there was a rather long (>2 pages) discussion on it where a few people had bought them and tested them, confirming their worth. I'll see if I can't find it.

EDIT: I can't =( But from what I remember from that thread, at least two people said they used them in small grows with success.

17. If/when I make a pc grow I will definatley buy one of these. I read that there is a certain chemical layered on the bulb that gets heated up and activated. And since these would be running almost 24/7 for my purposes I'm wondering after what period of time it stops eliminating odor.