SMALL bud sizes in back half

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by chitownpears, Aug 19, 2008.

1. #1 chitownpears, Aug 19, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2008
    Hey whats up everyone. Looking for some insight on a problem I had. This is thread is an excerpt from the grow journal locate at: http://forum.grasscity.com/grow-journals/261447-chitownpears-journal-1-a.html

If anyone can please offer some insight who has EXPERIENCED this problem or knows of a reason for this problem. I thinkI just crammed way too many plants under the light. The grow journal has all info of the grow. Thanks !!!!!!

First off, the plants grew very tall. 5 footers all across. I even had to bend the center growth of the slabs 90 degree and under the net because they were growing into the lights.

PROBLEM WITH THE SLABS. Grew very tall, always looked very healthy, however stretched like crazy between bud points and produced extremely SMALL buds and tons of foliage. However, the buds were BEAUTIFUL.

This picture is of the main stem of one of the plants in the SLABS. About 2 feet long but look how much foliage and how SMALL the buds. But look how purple and I wish I had a better camera so you can see how much trichomes and how sticky. The last 2 pictures, believe it or not, are main colas from the slabs which have been manicured. So disappointed, practically depressing over it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If anyone has experienced the same problems and could please help me out with some insight on why this happened and how to avoid in the future. I would truly appreciate it. I have a feeling it had something to do with way too many plants and not enough light. I have a thread in the general growing forum in regards to this: LINK TO THREAD.

In comparison, this is a picture of one of the bubbler's buds...this is actually one of the VERY MANY side shoots. Its about 7 inches long. Love that purple baby! Whoo! (taladega nights lol)

[​IMG]

SIMILAR PROBLEMS IN THE BUBBLERS: Now, this is a picture of another side shoot of one of the bubblers. Do you see the similar characteristics of the problematic buds produced by the slabs? All the foliage, All the purple but look at how small the bud is. These 2 pics are the exact same bud, just different angles.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Look in the background of these 2 pictures so you can see what I was talking about in regards to the colas produced by the slabs. That is the main cola of one of the slab plants. I had to bend it under the nets because they were growing into the lamps. See all the leaf growing wild.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. looks like some dank bro =] what kinda lights were u usin

3. Thy were 2 x hortilux eye 1000s. If you go into the journal you can see the whole setup. The link is at the top of this thread. Just looking to see if anyone has experienced similar problems getting such little buds. ANYONE???!!!! LOL.

4. looks like a serious deficiency to me, phosporus and or iron, did you have issues with burning ect? what does your nute library consist of...

5. sorry for the double post... after looking some more at your pics, it looks like your crop may have nitrogen toxicity as well, did you flush before cropping? whats your ppm ect..

6. #6 chitownpears, Aug 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2008
    ZERO issues with burning throughout the whole process.

The nute info is in the grow journal, link is at the begining of this thread.

In veg i used Lucas Formula (GH Bloom and Micro) with bcuzz root & grow per label's instructions. ppm never crossed 650. ph always 5.2

In bloom i used lucas formula (GH Bloom and Micro) with bcuzz bloom. In last half of flowering i added monster bloom, 1 scoop graduating per week. week 5 got 1 scoop, week 6 got 2 scoops, etc. PPM never crossed 1200 and ph always 5.2

I did flush 1 day prior to crop but that is irrelevant to the bud sized produced.

7. #7 chemicalcomfort, Aug 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2008
    i see about 3 significant problems.

1 - the screen. no offense to your DIY work or anything, but it looks terrible and messy. Half of the plants aren't even under it. It's also way too overgrown. I would completely redo it and either use less plants or flower ealier.

2 - if you're using the lucas formula properly, there should very little if any room to add extra nutes. Plus it doesn't even need it.

3 - pH of 5.2 might be just a bit low.

just all my opinion. i can't really give you definite answer as to why it didn't work out for you. especially cuz your post was kind of all over the place. again no offense and much luck.

EDIT: after reading your original grow journal a time or two more i can pretty safely say it's just too many plants. it's easy to make the mistake of thinking more plants will equal more bud, but that's often not the case.

8. thats good to know about lucas formula. thanks!

i do think it has much to do with stupidity i did of cramming all those trees back there. live and you learn.

the nets are garden nets purchased from the store but thank you for your opinion. **i only bent the plants under because they grew unexpectedly tall and were growing into the lamps. that is not a norm.