DIY Odor Neutralizing Machine. *step by step*

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by mels, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Hi all, just to let you know this was posted on another forum by an unregistered user and I thought it would go well in the DIY thread so here goes.

You will need:

1. A five gallon bucket
    2. A "muffin" fan, or a round fan of some sort that has the motor built into the compact frame of the fan. (See pics and you will understand.)
    3. A drill
    4. A one pound container of Soil Moist, which is a water absorbing crystal. You can find it at almost all nurseries and gorw shops.
    5. ONA, or Odor Neutralizing Agent. YOu can get it at most grow shops or "baby" shops for new mommies.
    6. A 5 gallong bucket lid, which may be optional.

2. Step 1.

Get yourself a muffin fan, or a Durex brand or Holmes brand circular fan with base. They are very common at Wal-Mart and can usually be bought for less than $8 US. The reason you should get this brand of fan is because after you have removed the base, it fits perfectly into a five gallon bucket.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      88.5 KB
      Views:
  3. Step 2.

Using a flat head screwdriver, pry of the nubs on the base and remove the screws.

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      75.6 KB
      Views:
  4. Step 3.

Remove the fan from the base. Keep all the parts in case you might want the fan again someday.

Attached Files:

• 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      76 KB
      Views:
  5. Step 4.

Place the fan into the five gallon bucket, front side up. If you bought the holmes brand fan pictures here it will fit VERY snugly. You don't even have to secure it in place.

(If it is smaller than the opening, then cut a hole, smaller than the diameter of the fan, into the bucket lid. Use some floral wire and secure the fan to the lid so that you can place the lid onto the bucket.)

Attached Files:

• 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      70.6 KB
      Views:
  6. Step 5.

Drill about 8 or 10 holes around the bucket.

Attached Files:

• 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      79 KB
      Views:
  7. Step 6.

Remove the fan/lid and put about 9 cups of water into the bucket. Then put about 1 cup of the ONA into the bucket and mix it up. Be careful, it can smell pretty strong at first.

Attached Files:

• 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      76.3 KB
      Views:
  8. Step 7.

Put about a cup or two of the soil moist into the bucket. Make sure that all of the liquid is absorbed. You don't have to use a lot! The crystals expand to about 50 times their size.

Attached Files:

• 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      File size:
      76.5 KB
      Views:
  9. Step 8.

Set the fan on the lowest setting and put it back on the bucket. Plug it in and put it somewhere in the corner of your grow room. I don't actually have mine in the closet itself...

You will notice a difference in about 5 minutes!

You may need to tweak it for your own grow room, but that's the basic design. Thanks!

Attached Files:

• 9.jpg
      9.jpg
      File size:
      76.5 KB
      Views:
  10. Here's some useful quotes from the thread.

11. Thanks man

12. its a good diy project, & this is what a good one looks like w/ a muffin fan.
    [​IMG]

13. jcj77d: how well would you say it works?

14. i really cant say, for about up to 6 plants it will do, i dont have to worry about odor, so i never really used it, but they work.

15. Does the fan blow into the bucket or out the way?

16. the fan is blowing out

17. does it absorb moisture?

18. As the fan is blowing out I suspect not. I don't know though.

Peace

19. I would doubt it. AFAIK it's just a deodorizer.

20. how long does this beast last? how to you "recharge" it?