My new lights, What do you think?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Jeffar420, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Alright I just went to the hardware store to pick up lights for my first one plant grow.

Just a little detail, There going into a grow spot of 31" H x 16" W x 10" D

I bought 3 23 watt mini soft white CFL's ( 1600 Lumens, 2700K) Will this be a problem because one, i was looking for 30 watts. and secondly, i didnt realize they were "mini soft white" i was looking for daylight. Will this be a problem for vegging?

For flowering I bought 2 40 watt Soft white CFL's with 2600 Lumens and 2700 K. I can keep one of those 23 watt lights in for the hell of it, unless this isnt a good idea?

I need to kno if I should be going back and getting daylight CFL's and a higher watt say 30 for the vegging.

Will the light fixture be safe without that white cover on it ? (Fire hazzard, Electricute me)

Please give me ANY comments, I need some feedback. Especially about the Vegging lights :) Thanks :wave:

Attached Files:

2. About the fixture.
    Assuming you're not gonna touch that metal or mess with the wires when its powered up you should be OK.
    It would be best if it was connect to electrical ground though.
    That way if that metal plate became electrified by some freak accident the ground circuit breaker would trip.
    Ofcourse the white cover would a. protect the wires and b.reflect the light better then that dull metal.

About the CFLs.
    Don't worry. They'll do fine.
    Throw in all the wattage you want providing it a.fits and b.you can get rid of the heat.
    Keep it safe.
    Combining different wattage bulbs in a single fixture is not a problem.

3. lights look fine to me, although i dont see y u didnt bump ur grow thread with the pics seeing as its on the second page now

it would be a good idea to make a reflector for that fixture to because most of the light from those cfls will be given off to the sides...

4. I think you have a slightly skewed idea of what works best.
    Basically the more wattage the better, so use those 40w bulbs THROUGHOUT.

5. Alright, great idea Pierre. Thanks:hello:

Do you live in London, Ontario! or London, England?

6. London, England. Innit.
    :D

7. Im going to be growing from a clone, should i have a computer fan blowing on it constantly? timed schedual? could any one help me with this? I want to toughen up the stem and then start LST.

Should i put my fan blowing on the plant or over my intake tube?

8. Put the fan on the plants straight away, and if it's blowing them over it's too strong.
    If it is, try moving the fan further away, and if space is an issue, 'bounce' the breeze of a wall or some other surface - this will mean it decreases in intensity.

Grow good.

9. Alright, once again thank you so much for your opinion!

Also, Is it true that you have to clean yourself almost to the point of taking a shower just to look inside your grow? Is it that easy for plants to attract mites,pests,diseases and all that mumble jumble? Say for my tiny 1 square foot grow?

10. Could anyone explain to me blue/red light spectrum, what do the bulbs look like?

Is it just depending on the type of bulb like Daylight, Soft white, warm?

11. Jeffar where in Ontario you living at? Well I'm in Whitby, Ontario if you've ever heard of it. I think those bulbs will do great but I'd run all of them (all 3 23watters + the 40 watters all at once throughout veg and flowering) I have 54 watts all together for 2 plants, and my plants are doing ok but I'm saving up to get some 4 27 watts and maybe a few 40 watt ones.

12. Watch the wattage max on that fixture. I got something that looks exactly the same, but with Y sockets, and each socket is max 60watts. Good luck! :D

13. Shadow's - Im in London ontario, and I only have room for the 3 sockets but i have another socket i could put in there, first im gana grow with just 3 to see how she goes. do you kno what blue/red light spectrums are or what they look like by any chance?

Romain - Yes they have that little sticker saying max of 60 watts, and as i said before I'll see how it goes with 3, then next grow ill try a Y shaped socket. I want to be able to control the heat tho, also would you by any chance be able to answer my question about the blue/red lights?

Thanks for the replies:D !! Its been quiet around here:(

P.S im only growing one plant.

14. It sounds like you know what is up and are just needing confirmation. The cool white bulbs are in the blue spectrum. They are closer in the spectrum to the MH bulbs that emit light that is good for vegetative growth.
    The warm lights are in the yellow/red spectrum that more closely resembles the light in the fall, therefore being better for the flowering cycle.(blue is still useful during veg though and vise versa.)
    Bottom line is you can make use of up to 65 watts per sqft of light and the plants will reward you in yeild. Some sat 50 watts/sqft is enough but scientific trials on major grows have proven otherwise. Each watt is ultimately converted into the final product of the plant which is the flower. I think of it simply as energy flowing through the plant and being converted into bud. The bud is smoked and the energy continues to flow. Watts=yeild...Period
    A very experienced grower told me that he had 2000 watts in a room for years and as an experiment he dropped another 1000 watts in one grow. This is the same strain, same number of plants and nutes and all conditions were comparative. He said that yeild increased by 2 pounds in that grow. He says it is like driving a VW and then getting into a ferrari. It is very tricky to keep your balance on heat humidity and nute solution but the plants can use the light.
    Plants do much better outdoors where they get an insane amount of light so it all makes sense to me.

Happy Growin - CG

• Like Like x 1
  15. thanks man I appreciate the answer, yeah i have more wattage then i really need but Im pretty sure everything is going to run smoothly. next grow im gana experiment with different lighting and what not, do my own experiments lol.

Peace

16. Alright its been awhile since Iv gotten around to my box, but i went to wal-mart and picked up the right spectrumed lights for vegging.

I got 2 26 watt Daylight bulbs so there 6500 K, now my questions are

1) since im only growin one plant, would 2 26 watters and one 42 watt bulb be okay in my small area

2) the 42 watt bulb is there for the boost, but its 2700 K... Will this still be a okay for additional lumens?

Im starting from a clone and growing in a tray thats around 6-7 inches deep which basically takes up the full bottom of my cab (32H x 16W x 10D), For the record

Im gana post a pic of my updated cab so you all kno what it looks like now, Thanks in advanced for the feedback :) :bongin:

17. Heres the pics, Once again feedback is appreciated :)

Attached Files:

18. dude, where did you get that cabinet? home depot? reason i'm asking is it looks just like mine, but mines 48" wide x 6' tall x 30" deep. for $100 what a steal.

19. It was laying around in my basement, I added the door on from my old kitchen. I had renovations done on the house :D

Got any input on this biatch?

20. Jeffar,

It sounds like you really did your research before you started jumping into the grow. The only concerns i see you having right off jump street is that your root structure might not support the plant with such direct wind. you might want to deflect the wind until your plant gets a little more stocky.

as far as selecting the lights, i think you have done a pretty good job so far, but I think you are getting hung up on the fact that you need to increase your light for flowering. This isn't necessarily the case. I would focus more on the spectrum of light that you are providing the plants. Toss your cool light to them at the highest lumen count your setup can yield and then when you go into flowering, switch to your warm light at the highest lumen count possible.

Because your space is limited, i would look into doing a ScrOG grow. ScrOG = Screen of Green. do a search on the forums and you should turn up plenty on the subject.

I am no seasoned professional, but that would be the best help i can give you. I wish you the best of luck with your lady! :wave: