Question about deleting accout

Discussion in 'General Forum Feedback' started by Jamtastic, Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. please do not do this to me this is only a question i do not want to have this happen to my account

On a different website I used to help run the vB boards, and I could do this there, and am wondering for a friend (Again please do not do this to me)

If a user with user name "JOHN" wants to delete his account he can make a post here and do so, has account deleted "guest" under his name, and all posts by "JOHN" are deleted.

If there waas a problem with JOHN using that username on this website, for example from his posts/name people may figure oout he just picked up a pound of haze,

Before deleting johns account could you delete ALL posts made by JOHN, then after change his username to "BannedAccount1". Then delete it.

When I ran vB you could change a username, and all posts by that user would auto change to new name. Also, from the control panel you could do a admin search of posts, select all, and delete. Can GC do this?

Again, just hypothetical, not for me

2. 1. "JOHN" would need to PM me, not post in GF. I need a PM. His account would be deleted but his posts would not be deleted. If he wants his posts deleted, he will need to delete what he can. We do NOT delete the posts related to a deleted account. It's our policy to maintain the integrity of the forums and mass deleting posts doesn't help maintain that integrity. However, it will show him as Guest rather than a Registered User after deletion of the account and he won't be able to be searched for in the database...because, technically, he'd no longer exist in the database.

2. "JOHN" should have thought about it before making the account. He's responsible for what he posts and what user name he chooses. Again, we don't delete posts when deleting an account and we certainly don't change the user name before deleting one.

3. Of course we can do that but it's against our policy. We don't change user names or delete posts of those who want their accounts deleted.

I kind of thought that was clear in the rules that are posted in every forum. However, if not, it should be clear now.

Hope that helps with your hypothetical situation. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.