Everything Parkour!

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by Radioactive_Kid, Oct 26, 2009.

1. So with this new sport on the scene i figured there are some people looking to start up, and better their skills. I've been training for about 3 years now, and i've helped and trained many of my friends. So here's what you'll need to get started:

-Good shoes, Something with lots of cushion, absorbs impact, and lots of support. (Basketball shoes are greaat if you're on a budget, If not i personally recommend a high end pair of Asics, K-swiss Ariake are specifically made for parkour. If you have any questions on shoes please visit Shoes for Parkour : Parkourpedia)

-Internet connection and a computer for online tutorials

-Confidence

Some General Terms you'll need to know:
    Traceur- Practitioner of Parkour (female practitioners are called traceuse)
    Sponersheep- Noobie Traceurs who are "decorating their tour bus" before they have mastered even some of the basic movements.
    Flow- To move or run smoothly with unbroken continuity
    Hotspot- The location of a great spot that most people know about and use
    Bail- What you do when you're not confident
    Vault: Any jump that incorporates the use of the arms to overcome the obstacle.
    Roll- The most important part of parkour, and can be tricky to master

The basic vaults you'll need to learn and master.

• Monkey vault : Two hands are placed on obstacles and both legs are pulled up in a squat position and practitioner pulls himself/herself over.
    • Lazy vault : One hand is used to swing both legs over an obstacle and the other to carry oneself over
    • Speed vault : A jump sideways but in the center of the obstacle one hand is used to push oneself forward.
    • Kong vault : A dive motion, but at the tip of the obstacle, the hands are used to push up and the legs are put in a monkey position.
    • Dash vault : Jump first, then place hands down to carry oneself over.
    • Reverse vault (not to be confused with the 360 side vault): Place one or two hands on the obstacle and perform a backwards spin over it.
    • Pop vault: Run towards a wall place one foot on the wall, kick upwards, grab the top of the wall and go over it.
    • Turn vault: Place one hand on the railing, preferably in the underhand position, place the other on it normally, then turn over 180 degrees.
    • Two hand vaultor simple vault: Place two hands on the obstacle and go over it sideways.
    • Underbar: Jump and go feet first between two bars or a bar and a wall, then pull yourself through.
    • Tic tac vault: Run at a wall, kick off, and either go in a different direction or continue in the same direction. This move can be performed as part of many combination moves.
    • Kash vault: Simply combine a Kong vault and a Dash vault.

Got Those vaults down pat? You ready to move on? Here's where things get hard. Learn and master these advanced vaults and you're own your way to becoming pro ;)

• Cast bomb: backwards kong to backflip
    • 360 degree underbar vault
    • Turn underbar vault
    • Double kong vault: A kong with two taps; useful to get over two obstacles at once.
    • Triple kong : A kong with three taps.
    • Gate vault : One's weak hand is placed on top of an obstacle's surface while the strong hand goes below for strength in rotation over at a 45-degree angle.
    • Sky vault : A one-handed cartwheel over an obstacle.
    • Jackie Chan vault : Tic tac to a no-handed dash.
    • Vert vault : Hands are placed in a regular vault fashion but one leg is kicked up over one's head.
    • Split one : Done in a lazy vault fashion, but at the peak of power the legs are split.
    • Rocket vault : Done in a lazy fashion, both legs go together and are perfectly straight, and the feet are grabbed by the traceur's hand.
    • Straddle vault : Both hands are placed at the top of the obstacle and splits are done to overcome the obstacle.
    • Rail flip vault : Two hands are placed on top of the obstacle and a frontflip / forward handspring is executed.
    • Trophy vault : To roll over an obstacle as efficiently as possible. Usually done after spoiling a move.
    • Vertical : Run at a horizontal surface at an angle and spin oneself 360 degrees around the surface.
    • Screwdriver : A Kong vault, but when the hands are placed, a twist is done to go four feet further over the obstacle.
    • Dashbomb : A dash vault, but with a frontflip after the dash.
    • Lazy "turn" : A lazy vault, but with a turn to land in a cat position.
    • Dive roll : A dive over an obstacle with a roll to withstand the shock at the end.
    • Carriage : A wall walk, but with a Kong right at the peak of the walk.
    • Palm spin : A thief vault, but hands spin the body in a 360-degree motion.
    • Barrel : A double-leg reverse over an obstacle with one hand.
    • Flare : A double-handed cartwheel, but legs are straight and together.
    • Star: A cartwheel over an obstacle.
    • Crane: A jump landing on one leg, using or not using your hands to get up.

Now let's get creative, Some combination using the vaults mentioned above:

• Cat to Cat
    • Precision to Cat
    • Kong to Cat
    • Kong to Precision
    • Kong to handstand
    • Dash to Cat
    • Gate turn
    • Lazy turn
    • Screwdriver to kong
    • Kong to Kash
    • Pop Grab
    • Pop grab to Cat grab
    • Reverse to Cat
    • Speed To Cat
    • Speed to Crane
    • Double Kong to Cat

So now we know what the basic and advanced vaults are called it's time to learn how to go about learning them. Since there are so many vaults ima going to post links where you can find tutorials on how to do these vaults. First thing's first, The Roll!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wT4uxcQWXI"]YouTube - parkour roll tutorial[/ame]

Having trouble with the roll? Keep hurting your shoulder and/ or hip? This will help:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6I1J0zmE7U"]YouTube - Advanced Parkour Roll Tutorial[/ame]

Sites for tutorials:
    Youtube- Check out the 3run tube, urban current, and Urban free flow channels
    www.americanparkour.com
    Parkour Online - First for Online Training Resources, Tutorials and Information
    Learn Parkour Tutorials Free Running Tutorials Video Practice Wall Flip Speed Vault
    Parkour North America: Content

You guys now have ALMOST everything you need to go and start training. The second most important thing in parkour is.... Cardio and conditioning. Without a decent pair of lungs and decent amount upper body strength parkour will be nothing more than a fantasy. You'll need cardio to allow you to keep moving w/o needing a break every 5 minutes, and for certain vaults strength is critical.

I personally love these techniques for strength conditioning, Check out Zeno's videos for some techniques and exercises: Traceur Zeno [Glasgow Parkour]: BODY CONDITIONING FOR PARKOUR

Tips:

-Take it easy, and slow at first. No need to rush and potentially injure yourself
    -Learn the vaults until you can do em in your sleep, Failure to do this may result in setbacks during advanced training
    -Be creative, You're only limited by your imagination
    -Expect to fall and fail as you learn, Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither will your skills.
    -Most importantly, HAVE FUN!!!!! :D The world is our playground

2. dude!!!! im a traceur of one year!!!! I don't get a chance to practice PK or freerunning much because i lead a busy life and I live in the suburbs so theres no good places to practice but I always look forward to a training session! (coincidentally i have one planned for sunday) I used to be somewhat decent and was able to do a front flip (although my landings were terrible and I'd just barely land on my feet) and Ihad gotten down all of the basic vaults but then I got a pretty bad back injury when i tried to do a kong vault over a power box... and landed on a patch of ice. I was out of commissionfor about 2 months and from summer up until now I havent had much spare time for PK because cross country has taken up all of my time but my season ends next week and I can't wait to get back into it! Also, Parkour is very useful if you're ever in a situation where you have to run from the cops :D

3. hello first post, i troll the grow forums frequently and happened upon this post earlier.

i've been training for about 6 years, i even run a small private gym.

hi guys!

4. I do some parkour as well... trained pretty often for a year to 1.5 years before I stopped...looking to start up again since I got all this free time now in college :)

5. #5 dirtydingusus, Nov 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2009
    nice but i do have a bit to add....in judo and aikido we do a very similar roll the main diferance being many but not all instructors dont go sholder to hip! you roll sholder to sholder less contact with the ground and a much faster roll and it looks better as well more of your body in the air as you roll
    ill look for a vid you mite like it? you never know

this one is similar to yours in sholder to hip
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qovh-UBBqbU&feature=related"]YouTube- Judo Dive roll 1[/ame]

here is sholder to sholder
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exXrHO1IzgE"]YouTube- AIKIDO - Ukemi breakfall demonstration by Dunken Francis 4th dan[/ame]

6. dingus, the dive roll shown in your first video is the same technique for the most part. the side rolls in the second video are great if you land strangely and have too much momentum.

rolls are only for preserving forward momentum and/or reduce stress on body on large impact.

this is by far my favorite roll tutorial. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGJRE9apU5I]YouTube - Team Ukemi Roll Tutorial[/ame]

in my training i have come to the conclusion that any type of drop which should require me to roll i should't be doing in the first place.

7. Welcome to GC man! Hopefully you can give some insight to parkour to those who want to learn. Like me:p

8. yes they are for the same reason only to take the impact off your body when you are thrown -does the same job

9. Hey all, just wondering if there is anybody in the Greater New york Area that's loooking to get into PK, I'm thinking about putting together a workshop In NYC. If interested please send me a msg so i can get an idea of how many people are willing to attend, and if it's even worth the time.

10. id love to im us in sulivan county not to far away but dont know i could get a ride down- when would you do it ill look into weather i can get there or not?

11. theres a huge scene in NY, i've traveled there twice for workshops.

NYPK Home jesse and mike are great guys, you could probably learn a lot from them.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS3zMVxRc4A]YouTube - Parkour Generations: NYC[/ame]

this was the event parkour generations held in '08, huge turn out. a bunch of us drove about 12 hours just for that workshop.

i'd suggest hitting up NYPK!

12. I've actually already contacted them with the proposal and am currently awaiting a response. Hopefully they'll get back to me soon. I was hoping to get it setup late Nov, but i'm not sure if it's too short notice, If not at the end of the month, than hopefully early-mid Dec, anything later than that is really a lost cause and will have to wait till spring =/

13. I highly suggest that anyone interested in parkour should watch "How Bruce Lee Changed the World" on the History channel. They have a great segment about parkour and how Lee inspired many tracers

14. I've been doing freerunning for about a year now. I like freerunning more than parkour cause I like doing flips and crazy shit. It's a great activity and great for specialized strength. Anyone watch the Barclaycard world freerun championships and the MTV ultimate parkour challenge? Good shit

15. Yea i've been doing parkour for a bit now. I've actually been wondering..does smoking mess with your coordination? i stopped freerunning and tricking for half a year and did nothing but smoke and now flips are hard as fuck and i cant seem to understand them anymore. i dont know if its the lack of practice or the smoking or both but i'm scared that i might have to quit smoking for my parkour! someone help!

16. Na they will come back just keep practicing. Smoking isn't affecting it you are probably just rusty. Get a spotter if you need one to break the ice again

17. Hey guys, i've been doing parkour for a little while, half a year now, and would love to find some people in my area to train with, if anyone lives in Ontario, preferably the Thornhill, Markham area and wants to meet up, let me know.