DIY 8 CFL light hood

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Mont@n@, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Hi guys I don't use to post here but I think this is going to help out all the cfl community.
    I used to flower my girls back in the days with 12 cfl 2700k with out a 120mm fan and they create a lot of heat... that's why I came with the mini fan idea now its only 6 bulbs and they do the job very well and the room will warm up if you don't use an exhaust fan also I use a oscillating fan for air circulation inside the room.
    you can find all the parts at Walmart

20" x 30" poster frame
    24 or 26watts cool white cfl (6500k)
    bulb socket
    clear or white silicone
    120mm fan 100cfm (ebay)

Attached Files:

2. Nice Chain....lol

"V"

3. whats the brand of the poster board and what part of the frame do you use?

smashing idea i love it!!

4. #5 Mont@n@, Jan 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2012
  5. That. Is. Awesome.

6. Dude.. you made that shit? Fucking creative.

7. for the next one design it so the bulbs are lateral because more light comes off the sides than the tops

8. I been using it that way the last 5 years with good results.

9. Where did you find the bulb sockets?

10. [quote name='"Mashiro"']Where did you find the bulb sockets?[/quote]

Lowes the electric section

11. #12 Mont@n@, Feb 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2012
    walmart electric section

I bought everything at walmart. I bought the 120mm fan and the power adapter online.Here is the power adapter Im using Linksys AM-1201000D41 Power Adaptor

Attached Files:

12. I don't think anyone noticed... but.... rainbow colored paper clip chain, now that's PRO!

13. Thank you very much, will be attempting this soon.

14. #15 Mont@n@, Mar 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2012
    I been using the same concept the last 5 to 6 years with paper clips. my diy hood its lightweight so no need of chains but if you feel uncomfortable with the paper clips just replace them with chains :D

I forgot I made my hood from foam board

15. just what i was looking for great post :hello:

16. how many plants under that setup is the most optimal? good work!

17. #18 Mont@n@, Mar 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2012
    it depends of the strain and how big you want your plants. I used to flower 5 plants in soil (12" to 16" tall first week flower) in 2 gal buckets under a much smaller hood with 12 cfl. I use my new hood for my cloner and my veg system. This set up helps me a lot keeping down the stretching. as soon i see my plants bushy i switch to 400w MH.

Attached Files:

18. now that's 'shit hot'. Very good DIY. I am getting ready to do something similar with my CFL's and like your idea. I don't think I will use paper clips to hang my light though. :)

19. i glued my paper clips with poxy but i respect your opinion safety first.:D