4'x8' 18 Site DWC Custom System

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by H8tter, Jul 28, 2011.

1. #1 H8tter, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2011
    Hello Grass City! It's been a while since i've been on the grow scene. I took some much needed time off from indoor growing. I was getting burnt out. Only a couple weeks of vacation left so its time to get back into the swing of things.

My roommates all got scripted and now we're dedicating a room to growing. I know it would be easier to just go buy everything i need, but part of the fun, for me, is building my own stuff. So far I've built:

A Clone Propagation Box
    DSC02696.JPG

Converted a book shelf to a Veg Box
    DSC02697.JPG

And my 4x4 Flowering DWC Setup
    DSC02701.JPG

This project will trump all it's predecessors combined! It's projected to be a 6'x8'x8' Flowering Chamber using a DWC top feed drip system that's 4'x8' and has 18x 5 gallon bucket sites w/air stone. 50 or 70 gallon res (haven't decided which one to go with). Here's the first video, geez i sound like such a stoner! Framing.mp4 video by H8tter - Photobucket

DSC02674.JPG
    DSC02676.JPG

More to come soon!

Attached Files:

2. #2 H8tter, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2011
    I compiled a list of tools and parts i need to complete this task. If i miss or add something, I'll make sure to update the list.

Tools Used
    Tape Measure
    Circular Saw
    Drill (philips screw head, 1/4" drill bit, 1&1/4" wood drill bit)
    Grinder
    Hammer
    Staple Gun
    scissors
    Razor
    Pocket Torch

Flower Chamber
    9x 2"x2"x8' boards
    6x 1"x3"x6' boards
    Duct Tape
    Staples
    35'x10' Black/White Plastic
    3 1/4" screws
    Velcro strips

Hydro Frame
    3/4"x 48" x 96" plywood board
    5x 2"x4"x8' boards
    3 1/4" screws
    10x 1/2" "U" shape nails
    *The Base was constructed out of scrap wood*

Hydro Components
    1/2" Plastic Tubing (ft?)
    1/4" Drip Lines (ft?)
    1/4" Air Lines (ft?)
    3x 1/2" "T" joints
    4x 1/2" End Seals
    20x 1/2" "L" Joints
    40x barbed straight 1/4" connectors
    10x barbed "T" 1/4" connectors
    Plastic Sealant for all hydroponic connectors

3. DSC02704.JPG
    Here's the 1/2" piping that will feed all my 1/4" lines. Used some "U" shaped tacks to mount the piping to the 2x4's.

DSC02709.JPG
    I think it's easier to puncture a small hole when inserting the barbed connectors.

DSC02711.JPG
    Drilled some holes for the 1/4" lines and connected them to the 1/2" pipe.

DSC02714.JPG
    It's slow going but looks nice in the end

DSC02716.JPG
    So i tried to finagle the 4'x8' board up the stairs but it was a no go. So i have to cut it in half. Luckily this will not impact on functionality and only a minor impact on stability.

Attached Files:

4. After cutting it in half, it was easy to get it upstairs into the flowering room. Lined them back up and connected them together with a 2x4. Going to finish sealing up the grow room and then getting the buckets ready.
    DSC02719.JPG

Buckets are going to need a 1/4" drain line mounted at the bottom of the bucket (and are to remain plugged unless draining/flushing) There's going to be a 1/2" "L" join overflow line at the top of the bucket (right below the bottom of the netted pot) And I'll need to drill 5" diameter holes in all the bucket lids. Lastly, one more 1/4" hole for the airlines.

After that. It's a matter of me getting my Res, Pump, Lights, Carbon Scrubber and a bunch of clones.

5. DSC02726.JPG
    Time to cut some holes for the netted pots

DSC02727.JPG
    I found by putting the drill on reverse for a few seconds to create a groove in the plastic made the drilling more stable.

DSC02725.JPG
    I wanted to make the seal a little tighter around the net pots so used my fix all duct tape to line the edge of the hole.

Attached Files:

6. Wow looks like a lot of work man well done.. What lights are you going to use in the flower chamber, and is that a scrog screen in pic #6?

7. Thanks man. Yea... it's been many many hours. Probably wouldn't take as long if i didn't get stoned, get distracted and kinda wander off at times but it's just how i operate. :D

I have two 1000watters ATM so they're always an option. The reflectors are old and don't vent heat well. The Ballast and bulbs are old as well. I would ideally like two 600w's, vented reflectors w/out glass cover.

8. Taking a few days off from the project, will give one quick last update.

DSC02731.JPG
    I've always been one of those guys who likes to get the most out of everything i buy. I'm using the scrap pieces of plastic to line the top of the table.

DSC02730.JPG
    I had to crawl up under the table and start inserting the overflow drain connectors. Hardware store only had 6 so this will have to wait. Just make sure to clean out the tips after insertion.

Attached Files:

9. nice lots of power.. yea im the same way ill be working on somethin, smoke one and get distracted.. My girl calls me scatterbrains.. but we get it done right? :cool:

10. Looks like it will be a sick setup. Looking forward to following your grow!

11. We ALWAYS get it done... Eventually!:p

Thanks for stopping by. I have 4 clones in the veg state under a 430w HPS ATM. Trying to time it so i can get a crop of clones and the grow room will be ready at the same time.

12. /subbed
    Good luck brother!

13. 430w while veggin, what are your plans for flowering?

14. DSC02733.JPG
    Got half the 1/4" drain barbed connectors inserted into the buckets. Used a little pocket torch on the plastic for about 4 seconds and then pushed them through.

DSC02737.JPG
    Ran the 1/4" drain lines in groups of three, and taped them together.

DSC02738.JPG
    Now i can put plugs on the lines for a true DWC or 1/2 gallon drip nozzles on the ends for DWC/Ebb n' Flow effect.

15. #15 H8tter, Jul 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2011
    I finally got the nerve to try a scrog on my closet setup; Veg for some clones and then flower. I'll be starting that thread up in a week or so.

16. Sounds good. Scrog method is lookin solid. Looking forward to pics getting uploaded of that. I'm lookin into a stealth grow for now, just with where I'm living. Might test a pc setup with the scrog

17. #17 H8tter, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2011
    I've finished a huge chunk of the project. I still have to buy/install a intake fan, exhaust carbon scrubber (drilling hole in ceiling or wall) mount two lights, setup the powerstrips.

DSC02742.JPG
    Sat down and watched some AVGN (Angery Video Game Nerd) game reviews while i taped the top and bottom sides of 18 bucket lids.

DSC02743.JPG
    I finished mounting the remainder of the 1/4 and 1/2 drain connectors. Used a hand torch to heat up a spot in the plastic and then pushed the thing through.

DSC02744.JPG
    I've never tried the stuff but hopefully it'll hold water. I put it around the inside and outside of the buckets, around each fitting.

DSC02746.JPG
    And there you have it. She's just about finished. I need to mount the 1/2" overflow lines and eventually put on plastic side panels on, but the bulk of the work is out of the way.

*Note - i was worried about the 2x4x8 i cut in half on each side, so i bought two large flat metal "T" brackets and screwed them into sides of the connecting surfaces. It makes the unit feel much sturdier.

The next phase will be installing the airration system.

4th Trial - http://forum.grasscity.com/hydropon...trays-mr-niceguy-sweettooth.html#post11590602

Attached Files:

18. this looks awesome. Can't wait for the plants. Are you growin sativa mainly?

19. The Mr. Nice Guy is more Indica dominant, i guess i could do half and half. After seeing how fast the Sweet Tooth has grown in a week, i think it'll be the first batch. First plant to give me 20 clones how about that ;)

20. First week back at work is over and i've only got about 3-4 weeks left before the grow room project is to be completed. I purchased today an Air Pump, 20 Air stones, 100' of 1/4" air tubing and a 70 gallon res. Tonight, after if cools off, i'll get in there with a drill and install all the tubing, stones and any else that need to be taken care off.

DSC02769.JPG

Attached Files: