Sanity check: Is my wiring correct?

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by moonquasar, Jul 7, 2011.

1. I gave the whole setup a quick test and it performs as expected but I'd like a second opinion before I solder up all the connections.

The general setup:
    [​IMG]

The back panel,
    The power switch controls power to the whole system,
    The voltage selection switch controls power to just one of the extension cords so that the lights can be turned off before opening the case. Esp handy if/when a UV reptile light is added.
    [​IMG]

Let's take a look inside the box. My understanding is that black is always hot and on a US polarized outlet, it is always connected to the skinny pin. The hot wire goes directly to the power switch so that when the system is off, it is really off. The same goes for the voltage selection switch.
    ...The ground wire is just hanging out, not sure what to do with that...would it be a good idea to connect it to the entire PC case?
    [​IMG]

Here is how the light sockets are wired. The black wire is connected to the small contact in the bottom of the socket, the other end is connected to the hot wire. The white wire is connected to larger contact in the socket, the other end is connected to the neutral wire.
    [​IMG]

I used a razor blade to expose wire along the cord to attach the sockets. This didn't take very long to do 8 points but it would get seriously tedious for doing many more. Is there some special tool for doing this?
    [​IMG]

A final question, in the case my fan fails or if it's power supply fails, I'd like to avoid killing my crop or worse, burning down the house.
    microRU suggests a very small "termo relay" -- I assume they mean thermal relay. I have searched but have yet to find anything so cheap and small that could just be dropped into the circuit. If someone could suggest something, even if it would be requiring more components, please do let me know.
    Here is microRU's post in full:

Attached Files:

2. I found that termo relay!
    Check it out!

This is perfect -- it will break the circuit powering lights while the fans and computer remain active! Not only that, it will barely take up any space at all.

3. Indeed.
    It was pointed out in another thread that fans make fires worse. Therefore two temperature switches will be installed. The first one kills power to the lights at 40C, the second kills power to the entire system (fan included) at 45C. Should be able to make tests with temperature switches in early august -- shipping from china is slooow.

4. You used a razor blade to strip the wire? What a tedious task!

The special tool to make this easy would be common wire cutters or wire strippers to make it easy. Available at any hardware store.

Nice setup, seems like it should work well for you. The way you connected the wires for lights on one solid piece of wire is odd, but will not effect lighting performance. That is what is forcing you to solder all connections. But if you had used short sections of wire in between lights and connected with wire nuts, you would be able to add equipment in the future with ease.

Grounding to the case is always a good idea, use a 1/4 self tapping screw to secure it to the case.