Coffee Can Air Scrubber

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by maulcoy, Dec 6, 2010.

1. #1 maulcoy, Dec 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2010
    Here's a neat little air scrubber suitable for a small grow.I'm using it outside a 3x4x6 grow box.

Get a small personal fan here's the one I use on ebay.

RE SILVER PERSONAL ROOM FAN 4" ADJUSTABLE TILT HEAD NEW - eBay (item 180530410259 end time Jan-03-11 18:30:12 PST)

I used a 34.5 ounce Folgers plastic coffee can but any plastic container of similar size will do.

#1) Cut an opening in the lid that allows the fan to fit snug on top and not fall through.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#2) Cut a hole for the power cord to go through near the top of the container.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#3) Cut several holes just below the fan level.I put in 6, 1/2" holes.

#4) Fill 1/3 to 1/2 full of lysol concentrated disinfectant liquid.You can also use a can of CVS odor absorbing gel.It is very similar to Ona gel but without the high price.

Buy CVS Odor Absorbing Gel Fresh Scent online at CVS.com

Poke several holes in the top of the lid and place it in your air scrubber.

#5)) plug it in and place just outside of your grow room!!!A blast of clean air will hit you in the face every time you enter the surrounding room.

[​IMG]

2. So this could keep thebsmell of flowering plants hidden 100%?

3. I am wondering the exact same thing. Just got my hydro setup and waiting for seeds to pop so I can get started.

4. Nothing good or bad about this?

5. I like it!

6. will this work for 2 plants? 100%? or will I need like 10 of these?

7. One is taking care of 5 auto-flowers in full flower.Grow box is 3x3x 6T room is 10x12'.I get high in there pretty much every time I toke to boot.20 mins later can't smell a thing.I just finished my 1st canister it lasted 20 days.

8. It has for me.5 autos at full flower right now, all I smell is fresh air.

9. Hells yeah I got 4 that are going into flower that shouldn't get much bigger....

gonna try this out thanks for the guide +rep

10. guess I will do this then :D

11. Bump for this. I got the fan yesterday, and will make one of these asap.

Thanks!

12. Dont see why you couldn't do this on a larger scale, Maybe a 5 gallon bucket with lid and a 10 inch variable speed fan

13. Hi,

I'm not too sure yet if it will work for me as well as it is for you, but I just built myself one with some slightly different parts. My house, is a MAXWELL house (coffee, pun intended) and a 4" fan that runs off of 5V. Also, instead of using the CVS or Ona gel (not available where i'm at) i'm using Air Sponge.

I'll let you know how it goes but thank you very much for the readily available (and cheap) air scrubber idea.

14. Hi,

I just wanted to report back and say that the scrubber seems to be so far, working out good. Keeps the smell down considerably and it was a very cheap fix. One thing I think I will change if I ever make another one, move the holes for air intake to the bottom of the can. My reasoning behind that is, the air needs to get saturated with the air sponge/ona gel/lysol/etc, and the best way for it to get that way is to start at the bottom. Mind you, this will only work for people who are putting a container or something solid in the coffee can, liquid would be a problem ;)

15. i like this idea and i am planning on using it, but what i dont understand is how its really takes the smell out, im going to be using a wood made grow cabinet, and i need to take an exhaust tube and some how scrub the air comming out of my exhaust tube, can i hook this coffee can idea up to my exhaust tube comming from my grow box? if anyone can answer this please do, ty.

it will look like this growbox, then my exhaust fan connected to my exhaust tube then connected to the air scrubber with a fan on it like the one above, is this going to work ANYONE? -> |_|-----[]=

16. now this is usefull info.and i thank you for planting this seed in my head.there,s no end to what can come from this.my mind is at work already.