Stealth Dresser (In Progress)

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by MidwestPothead, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Hello to everyone out there in the GC community:wave:

I am currently working on a stealth dresser that will be a more "permanent" grow box for my girls in the future. I'm not really sure what all to say lol :D but I kinda have some ideas of what I want to do with the box already. The point of this thread is to not only gather information to help me build the box (Im not good with tools for anyone who has seen my other grow box). So Im sure I could use all the help I can get. But I also want to (hopefully) turn this into a guide for anyone else looking to make a stealth dresser in the future. Well I guess lets get this thing started! :smoking:

Started out with a dresser that I just bought today actually for $30 bucks SCORE! :metal:
    Its 50'' tall x 36'' Wide x 17.5 Deep....I was happy with the overall space once I measured wouldve like the extra 1/2 inch in depth but oh well:cool:

[​IMG]

The top of this dresser was already removable...weird but it works out for me

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wish this were a better first update but the only thing I had time to do before work today was take off all the center brackets. Tomorrow hopefully I will get a chance to tear apart the back :D (Fuck some shit up lol) and take apart the shelves and screw the door faces on.

Peace out :wave:

2. Ok so about putting the doors on today....lol but I did get a lil something done.

[​IMG]

Ran into a bit of a snag today trying to put on the doors...turns out I was just a bit shy on space so I had to cut a few small square pieces (I learned that I am not very good with a hand saw today... lol good thing I wasnt :smoking:) So I had to put them in all the corners.
    [​IMG]

Took the back cross beams off as well as the center beam that ran down the center of them.... Left the top and bottom beams in as they will end up being the floor and ceiling.

Well alright guys that's all I could get done today. Tomorrow Hopefully I will get the doors on and start on the floor and ceiling:wave:

3. Hey man nice looking dresser you got there, bigger than mine!

Have you stopped into my thread? How were you planning on entering the grow box, through the back? or were you going to make mock dresser front as a door.

4. Hey ohmni wasup? :wave: Yeah the idea for the moment is to put some hinges on with a simple plywood door... then perhaps gently lifting the dresser away from the wall so I can get in. But post me a link to your thread Id be glad to check it out

Random update: No pics unfortunately (Ill take some tmmrw) but I have all the door faces attached...then I secured them in place with a caulk adhesive. Helps with light leaks as well. However as I will bring up tmmrw and the pics will show Im thinking of puttin a thin piece of wood infront of the doors neways to smooth it out, make it easier to much and clean up the over all look considering the space between the ledge and face of drawer isnt really growing space at all.

But hopefully tmmrw I will put in the floor ceiling a perhaps that back wall...and who knows I may even be ready for paint tmmrw as well :D

5. hey man,
    nice start on the dresser...the plywood back will work great for a door, plus you could cut your fan port's in the back wall as well...control those temp's...

i had one kinda like that one time...used 4 big pc fan's and a 400 watt hps...had one of those baby 6'' fan's mounted inside for some wind action...worked great...
    i put mine on wheel's though...on the bottom...you can get some at the harware store for pretty darn cheap..like 2-3$ each...this will make your life so much easier when pulling your box away from the wall...seeing how you will be in there all the time back and forth...checking and watering..

nice start though...
    i just wood glued my door's back on the front,...but they were bigger than the holes...
    your idea look's like it will work...i'd get some caulk as well...go around the inside of those front door's around the seem's...light will try to leak out of there...

these boxes like this become almost air tight as well...perfect for a small diy co2 system...

cheer's

6. Thanks for stoppin by brotha :wave:. I originally thought about putting the fans in the doors...would be easiest. But I was wondering how careful I have to be if I choose to do that in regards to opening in closing the doors....do I just need to make sure my wires are long enough for the open etc?

OMG the wheels thing is genius. Im already sick of moving it around my garage haha, I definitely think Ill do that for sure.

7. Update:

Ok GC so today I had a little bit of time to put the walls in (finally):rolleyes:. Neways I decided instead of caulking all the cracks the best thing to do was put a thin piece of particle board in front of all of it...leakage solved...except I goofed cutting a corner but its easily fixed...I am currently ready for paint which may or may not happen sometime this afternoon.

The gap at the top in the front (dont know how the hell that happened...but Ill address it later on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. lookin great bro..

for the fan's..
    how i did mine was i used a 7/16" thick peice of plywood , cut it to size so it will fit the entire back....attached hinges on one end and a magnetic latch for a stereo cab to hold it shut...
    i bought a roll of weather strip for like 3$ either 1/2" or 1/4" i can't remeber exactly...i think 1/4" thick stripping...
    went around the edge of the door with that to seal it when closed...
    then i cut my port holes for my fan's...i used 4 fan's mounted to the outside of the back wall since i was using a 400 hps...plus the more fresh air in and out the better...
    mounted my fan's...2 up high and two down low...
    then i bought a cheap multi strip outlet for plugging in multiple thing's and mounted it in the center of the door...(on the outside)
    wired all my plug's and adapter's to my fan's and plugged them into that...
    that way you have 1 plug coming off the back of your door...leaving it free to move with no hang up's...this also makes it were you can run fan's, light's, and all off one single timer...:D

your fan that will be mounted inside the box,(wind fan) just hang it from the roof or wall mount it up high inside on a side wall....i choose my side wall closest to the hinge's for the back door...this way it's like the wiring in a car door...the door moves but the wire coming out the box does not...plug it into your multi outlet as well or plug into the wall to keep on 24/0...this is really good for the plant's..i'll have to draw it out for ya so you can see it's kinda hard to put it all into word's ya?

cheer's

9. Ok so I got this bad boy painted today...(more then likely gonna add another coat). LOL again planning on fixing the gaps:rolleyes:... Tmmrw when Im not so high Im going to start asking a lot of questions about the structure of the inside of the box which ill provide some drawings to kinda get some discussion flowing.:cool:

[​IMG]

10. Dude thanks a lot the picture definitely helped lol....question though? Are the fans mounted on the outside of the box? If so does this take away from the stealth effect?
    However again I love that plug idea on the back of the box because I plan on setting a tv up to it (Ill never use it but its apart of the disquise ;)). thanks for your help brotha:wave:

11. ya the fan's were on the outside, the pc fan's i used were only like an inch thick....once i set it against the wall, everything in the back get's hidden...
    i got a box in my LA journal as well ...it's a simple cab from a 60$ walmart cabinet i made but it had twin door's on the front...i have a shelf in the center of it, this makes two growroom's in one...
    looking at it might give you an idea...
    cheer's man dresser is coming along nice bro..

12. [​IMG]

MMK I know this isnt the best sketch but it will do. I plan on using either A or B as my mother area (16hrs of light, minimum to maintain in veg)...then givin either A or B my clone area (24 hrs light)...then having C obviously be the flowering portion since its the biggest. Is this an ideal use of my space? I could save some trouble by combing A and B, however I think I could save on electricty by seperating the two since my mother/ mothers wont need a lot of light. Also as far as puttin the main shelf (dividing veg from flowering sections) Whats the best thing to use for brackets? I appreciate any help/ comments :hello:

13. i'd combine a and b...you will never see it on your power bill...i push almost 1500 watt's in all...run's me an extra 30 buck's a month...your not going to be using near enough power for that to make a difference at all...if you combine a and b you also only have to worry about temp's/vent's in 2 room's instead of 3...
    i'm diggin this prodject bro..:D

14. Ok so hopefully I can explain this picture a little bit. So I thought about what would happen with the flowering plants and the smell. So to enclose a lot of the extra things required for this (I wanna try to keep as much inside the box as possible) I decided to make room for a compartment at the top of the box the would hold the carbon filters (red boxes).

The black boxes represent fans. I would have two attached to the back right corner of the bottom flowering chamber... The gray rectangles represent ducting...Ide like to connect some of this and run in up the back corners of the veg chamber ( I think I should have enough room to pull it off since I will have small mothers and just a few small DIY cloners (4 clones each maybe).

Then Ide like to install two more fans that take the heat from the veg (cut holes in ducting) and flowering heat as well. Into the carbon filters located above. I think this could work because if you remember the top is removable so I could rig something up I would think.

I would then have to intake fans in the middle lower portion of each separate chamber.

How does this sound? Is it rational?

Attached Files:

• GB.jpg
      GB.jpg
      File size:
      46.5 KB
      Views:
  15. WOW!!! you guys are really going at it here!! pretty friggin cool. i have no need for a stealth box, and probably never will, but if i ever have to help a friend i can damn near consider myself a pro without even touching a screwdriver after watching this!! keep it up guys, i may not be chiming in, but i'm watchin';)

16. LAUGHING MY MOTHER FUCKING ASS OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i may not be a stealth box building professional Midwest, but i DO know more than a few things about growing pot and i know for a fact that the plants in your diagram are going through a SERIOUS fucking deficiency right now. :D

couldn't resist.... nice diagram, good lookin' plan, but the stick-plants have me rolling on the fuckin' floor for real:gc_rocks:

17. Lol I actually plan on flowering out a couple of stick plants to try it out... I heard you can get ounces out of the plants once perfected...So I would assume that it isn't impossible for me to get 1/2 oz from one plant so If I put 4 of em in there with 2 bigger flowering plants (I dont think Ill have room for 3 full grown plants)

18. heehee...
    how's that mofo comin midwest?

19. Go back a page and check out my diagram....wanna see what you think