air scrubber

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by hoopty_ref, Mar 17, 2010.

1. #1 hoopty_ref, Mar 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2010
    well, here it goes...

my first ever tutorial! construction of a quality (debatable) carbon air scrubber

i'm sure folks will post 8==> "hey man, if you're gonna spend that kind of cash, why are you even building when you can buy?" <-- well, its was a *little* cheaper, and a hell of a lot more fun! thanks for playing...

list of stuff (home depot is your friend):

6" inline fan (250CFM) ~$30
    Activated carbon (pelletized) 20lb ~$45 <-- i only used about 10lb for just under 2ft filter
    7" to 6" reducer ~$6
    6" round duct cap ~$3
    7" round duct cap (may be hard to find)
    tie-in starter flange ~$6
    misc. sized tie straps
    duct tape
    poly-fil batting ~$5
    panty hose (long tights to fit the big tube) ~$5
    5'x24" hardware cloth 1/2"mesh ~$8

tools:
    drill w/ bit 1/4"ish or smaller to fit ties
    needle nose pliers
    side cuts
    scissors
    tasty bowl o' dank <-- use as needed :smoke:

1. build inner with collar -- make it fit inside reducer and tape it up -- wrap with enough hardware cloth for overlap -- i used the last half of each the square i cut in the mesh as a tie-in to make the tube -- affix with wire ties and copious amounts of duct tape -- tabs from collar were used to help keep mesh in place

2. drill holes in cap and use ties to secure end cap -- cut leg of leotard stuff and roll down from top -- MAKE SURE YOU'RE CAREFUL NOT TO SNAG AND PUT HOLES IN IT! -- get it where you want it and fasten (i went right behind collar and use a large tie and duct tape)

3. slide the inner assembly you made into the reducer from the 7" side -- secure and seal as you see fit -- ensure a nice air seal inside and use some batting between the inserted collar and the reducer to keep carbon from getting away

4. make the next tube in similar fashion to inner, only coming from the outer part of the reducer -- secure with ties and tape -- use other leg of spandex stuff and roll up from bottom almost to the top with the same care as before

5. once in place, fill chamber with carbon leaving a little gap (1.5"ish) for batting so you can cap it -- cap and secure with some batting for a tight fit -- flip, on the reducer side, cut the 'toe' out and roll up and tape to keep carbon in chamber

6. wire up your fan (make sure its right) -- i used an old computer power supply cord i had laying around -- secure fan with tape

7. roll batting around assembly where carbon is, use ties to secure it (don't over-layer, i only did one layer) -- tie off end like i did if you're too lazy to make the final cut

Congrats! hook up into your room as ya see fit!:hello:

discuss...:cool:

btw, thanks to whatuthinkin for his thread! its what inspired my build and, honestly, what got the ball rollin on my end -- thanks man!

Attached Files:

2. cool man do u get a lot of air flow through all that carbon? i built something similar but instead of using carbon pellets i used a carbon filter replacement thing