DIY PL-L CFLs

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by TejasIndoor, Feb 21, 2010.

1. #1 TejasIndoor, Feb 21, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
    Maybe you are new to growing? Maybe you want an alternative to high pressure sodium and metal halide lighting? If you're interested in compact fluorescent lighting then you've come to the right thread!

One of the hottest compact florescent light products on the market right now is the PL-L type.

The bulb

[​IMG]

These bulbs are available in 18, 24, 36, 40, 50, 55, and 80 watt varieties. Generally speaking, the higher the wattage rating the longer the bulb length.

In particular, we're interested in the 55 watt, 21.5 inch long variety. This model produces 4800 lumen. At 87 lumen per watt, this model is the most efficient. Bulbs are available in 3000k and 6500k colors from HTG Supply. The bulbs can be used for all phases of growth.

The socket
    These 4 pin, twin tube style bulbs require a 2g11 socket.

[​IMG]

This socket locks the bulb in place. The bulb is released by pushing down on the red button at the top of the socket. These sockets are available from Cool Lights USA.

A supply of power is needed to light the bulb. This power is supplied by a ballast.

The ballast

The Fulham Company has a reputation for making quality ballasts. The Workhorse 7 and Workhorse 8 models are ideal for driving 55 watt PL-L style bulbs.

How to choose your equipment

How many watts will you need? Ideally you could have as many as 80 to 100 watts per square foot. My project has 2.88 square feet. I've chosen (6) 55 watt/4,800 lumen pl-l bulbs for a total of 330 watts/28,800 lumen. That's a whopping 114 watts/10,000 lumen per square foot! Think big bud and dense colas!

To determine how many and what model of ballast you'll need, use the configuration tool at Fulham's homepage.

Choose "Twin" for the lamp type. Then choose your quantity and wattage. Since I'm using 55 watt bulbs I'll look for anything with 55 in it. I see 3x55. That means a ballast that will power (3) 55 watt bulbs. The Fulham Workhorse 7 supports this configuration. Since I have six bulbs I'll choose two Fulham Workhorse 7s.

[​IMG]

Wiring the sockets and ballasts

Each ballast has a black and white wire coming out of it. These two wires need to be wired to a standard three prong plug so they can be plugged into an electrical outlet.

I've chosen some three prong plugs that come apart when some screws are removed. Inside, the interior has markings that clearly indicate the white and black wire terminals. Connecting the wires is as simple as pushing the bare end of the wire into the gap between the terminal wall and the little plate that tightens when you turn the terminal screw. Tighten the screw so that it firmly holds the wire between the terminal wall and the plate.

[​IMG]

Once you've got the power plug wired to the ballast you're ready to wire the sockets to the ballast as well.

** Do not plug the ballast into any power outlet yet. The bare wires intended for the sockets on the ballast could cause a short, an electrical fire or electrocution resulting your untimely death **

Wiring the socket is fairly simple. The trickiest part is understanding how to "jumper" the socket.

Look at the picture below. The wire sheathing is stripped back about 1/4" to expose bare wire. That bare wire is shoved into the holes in the socket. The holes in the socket are designed to grip the wire and make a firm connection without soldering. Pretty cool huh?

[​IMG]

Each ballast has only 1 yellow wire. You'll need to take some 18 gauge solid strand wire and make as many leads off the yellow wire as you have sockets. 1 yellow wire lead for each socket. Another way to think about this is that you are splitting the yellow wire into several leads so that each socket has one. Depending on the ballast model that you choose, you'll use either one red wire or two red wires for each socket. For the Workhorse 7, each socket will have one yellow wire lead and one red wire.

This is a wiring diagram for 3 x 55 watt PL-L lamps with a Fulham Workhorse 7 ballast. Pretty straight forward once you understand what the "jumpers" look like and how to wire the red and yellow wires to each socket. Pay attention to the "Compact" diagram. Ignore the "Linear" diagram.

[​IMG]

If the wires on the ballast aren't long enough you'll need to extend them using 18 gauge single strand wire available at all major home improvement stores like Lowes or Home Depot. It's purchased by the foot. Buy more than you think you'll need. It's cheap and you'll use more than you think you will.

Connect the extension wires with wire nuts. Look around the electrical aisle and find wire nuts that are designed for 18 gauge wire.

[​IMG]

The "jumpers" are designed to bridge the terminals on each side of the socket. If your ballast calls for two red wires from the ballast into each socket then you'd skip the jumper on the red wire side of the socket.

No, it doesn't matter which side is for the yellow wire and which side is for the red wire. Just pick a side for each.

Once you've gotten your power plug and sockets wired to your ballast, you'll want to mount the sockets to your cabinets. The pin end of the bulb is held by the socket itself. The other end of the bulb can be held by some wire and a well placed wood screw or these tricky bulb clips.

[​IMG]

These are available from Cool Lights USA for $1.00 a piece.

I'd suggest mounting your ballast outside your grow box. It produces more heat than what you'd want inside your box.

If you've got questions just PM and I'll help you sort out your new lighting system.

Happy Growing!

2. looking foward to your results

3. Thanks for taking the time to put this together.

4. exactly what I need. I cant wait to see this completed.

5. #5 inphu510n, Feb 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2010
    Subscribed!

Will reflectors be a part of this?

Also, I like the bulb mount, the mechanism seems more solid than the rest of the 2G11 mounts.
    What I'm curious about is how does this one attach to anything? I don't see holes for screws on it.

6. So would this be good for a rubbermaid grow? A Double Stack Rubbermaid grow, or would it get too hot?

7. good luck. following with interest.

8. Looks hella good. I'm a HID grower myself but I like your style!

9. Finally finished the guide.

10. What do you think about the grow CFLs
    in the 125watt models. The 2700k bulb provides increased output in the red spectrum which promotes flowering & budding in plants. The 6400k bulb is full spectrum bulb which promotes overall plant growth. 125 watt bulbs are 8,500 lumens.

Looking to grow one or two white strains

Have a 3' Wide 20'' Deep 6' Tall, space for the new grow.

Trying to weigh out if I should go with 1 400w HPS/MH air cooled tube OR 1 CFL 125W 8,750 lumens CRI:81 bulb (6400k VEG 2700k Bloom)

Thoughts?

11. EYY,
    What do those bulbs look like? Are they a single tube? Twin tube? Spirals?

12. where did you buy your ballast? is there a single place/website where you can get the bulbs, ballast, sockets, and holders?

13. Hey bud try these guys they have a wicked deal and they have a great warranty program.

I would go for the cool tube personally but to each their own

EHBC Distributors
    Vancouver BC
    sales@ehbcltd.com
    604-420-0018

Here is one of their listings
    600W & 1000W Open/Air Cooled Hydroponic Lighting Equipment

Here is another 400w cool tube for $230 buck best deal I have see yet
    400W 1000W Cooltube Hydroponic Lighting Systems w/Digital Ballast

Check em out I bought a 400w cool tube system and its fuckin great!

14. sorry eatyouryoung but there's no way that would work for my application

tejas- watt for watt would you say these run cooler than the spiral CFLs? i would have the ballast separate from the growing area...

15. What up tejas

Here is a link to what they look like 125 & 250 watt CFL hydroponic grow lights
    This guys is by paramax but there is a few companies out there making them in different styles
    saw a really cool rosebud design too!

16. Hey paps

try these they are made for growing and emit the right kind of light for veg stage and the flower stages... If you try just to use random CFL it will work for the veg stage but you will probably be disappointed when it comes to flowering

these ones are at the right price... I paid 89.00 for mine when I originally was growing with CFLs
    125 & 250 watt CFL hydroponic grow lights

there is also another company out there making some cool ones cal sunblaster
    SunBlaster Lighting - Fluorescent lighting for home, garden and business.

A dope rosebud style I saw on CL
    Parmax Rosebud CFL grow lights

Hope this helps guys!!! keep me updated with your CFL grows def the way to go if you want to keep the heat and power bill down!

17. With the sockets, The bulbs need to seat in there and be secured on the other end. If the bulb is pulling down on the socket, there could be a fire.

I ended up having to tape the screws that I used to mount the sockets in electrical tape so that they wouldn't be in contact with the bulb in any way. I was getting burn marks where the screws were touching the bulb.

Be careful out there