DIY: DWC Bubble Scrog Bucket (i.e. "The Super Bucket")

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by sdholic, Jun 30, 2009.

1. #1 sdholic, Jun 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2009
    Ok folks, so i thought i would do a write up for everyone on the DWC scrog bucket i setup recently for my next round. I realized that several folks might benefit from a parts list and good photos, so this will be my attempt at a simplified DIY for anyone looking to construct a similar bucket. All ideas and concepts contained in/on this contraption were taken from ideas others have had and used in this forum and others. I take zero credit for the ideas, but hopefully the compilation of these ideas into one semi-DIY thread will be useful!

Parts:
    1x Sterilite 10 gal black tub (The Container Store)- $9.00
    8x 1/2" 45-degree PVC elbows (Home Depot)- $.30 each
    4x 1/2" end PVC endcaps (Home Depot)- $.40 each
    4x 1/2" PVC tees (Home Depot)- $.50 each
    4x 1/2" 90-degree joint (Home Depot)- $.50 each
    1x 1/2" 8' PVC pipe (Home Depot)- $3.00
    4x (1/4"x1.5") stainless bolts with wingnuts (Home Depot)- $3.50
    1x 2'x2' section of chicken wire- free (easy to find a small piece of this stuff)

Total Cost: +/- $23.50

Tools:
    Hole saw, or razor knife with holder
    Drill w/ 1/4" drill bit
    Hack saw

Instructions:

First,
    cut 12x 2" lengths of pvc pipe to connect the support arms to end caps, tee joints to the screen, and 90-degree joints on screen to tee fittings.

Second,
    cut 4x 5 1/2" lengths of pvc pipe for the support arms and connect a 45-degree elbow to each end. These are your support arms for the scrog screen.

Third,
    construct the screen. Cut 2x 10", and 2x 20" lengths of pipe. These will be the main frame for your screen. Also, you will need 4x 2" pipe (which you cut in step one), 4x 90-degree elbows, and 4x pvc tees.

Connect these pieces in the manner you see in the picture of the screen below so your t joints are angled down toward the tub for the supports arms. You can obviously changed the pipe lengths to fit your needs but all other fittings should remain the same no matter what size screen you build.

Use zip ties or whatever you have to connect the chicken wire to the screen.

Forth,
    drill 4x 1/4" holes on the four corners of your DWC tub-to-be, and a 1/4" hole in the top of each pvc end cap. Use the bolts and wing nuts to connect the end caps to the tup of the tub (wing nuts go on bottom side of lid).

Fifth,
    use the hole saw or sharp razor blade to cut the holes for the net pots in the lid to your liking. I used 2x 3.75" net pots. If you vary the size of the screen you will need to decide how many/how big/where to cut your holes so that you your plants fill the screen nicely. This could be done with 1-4 plants. More would likely be a waist in this size tub.

And Finally,
    Connect all the pieces!

DO NOT glue any pvc pieces together. This way you can deconstruct and transport if necessary. I used foil tape for reflectivity on the top of the lid but this is obviously useless once the screen is full.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    In the last few pics you see the pvc contraption i made to hold the airstones in place/make them easily replaceable.

I saw this idea from another member but cannot remember who. Anyways all you need is a few lengths of pipe and 2x T fittings. Drill a hole in the middle section of pipe where you want your airstone/stones. Run your airline tubing through this hole and out the end of the pipe and up and out of the tub. Leave about 1/2" of tubing sticking out of the pvc holes so you can easily put on/take off airstones.

The main advantage of this contraption is placing the airstones where you want: something easier said than done. Those f*&#ers normally roll around like their on a mission and end up stuck in the corner of the tub!

Attached Files:

2. Haha ok, so i take it we've been there, done that huh?

3. Nice job on the guide!
    It's a shame I can't put it to use x.x
    But, nevertheless, great job! :)

4. Thanks bro! Its a much easier setup than it seems. I really think its easier than soil...

5. That's sweet man. Real good idea.

There has to be a way to incorporate some extra pumps and tubing and use the pvc at the top to incorporate some sort of Drip system as well.

Also, there's this sweet tutorial on youtube on how to make a fogger for your hydroponics set up. It would be perrrfect for something like that.

6. Nice rig. Wish I'd seen it before I built my four pot setup. Looking at your pics and I noticed you should put washers under those wingnuts on the bottom of the lid. That thin plastic will loosen up with handling and the washers will allow you to crank them back down w/o making the holes bigger with the nut. Anxious to see that in action!

7. Thanks for the words man. I have to say though i am convinced that a dripper is useless in this setup. Its one or the other. The bubble created by the airstones/pumps creates a fine mist that thoroughly soaks the bottoms of the net pots and the roots. The only reason for a dripper would be if you want to start your babies in the system as well. I use a separate cloner so the girls are already established. If this is your all in one unit, then great thinking! That would make it complete! Thanks again..

btw, just replied to your pm. Hope it helps!

8. Thanks rooster! Washers here I come!

9. Wow bro, I am impressed. That thing is sweeeet. You gonna use the 150 with this?

10. so when you have the 2 plants in it and going, how do you access the container to add water or drain it to change out the water? or just to check pH?

11. Also make sure to get some locking washers to go inbetween the wing nut and the washer itself will make for a more secure hold and better results overall

12. Hey man, just stopping by to tell you I bulit one of your buckets as a test run. I want to setup 8 of these in my room and have 2 week perpetual harvest . One problem. Can't get the scrog PVC to screw onto the lid. The only caps i can find for the 1/2'' pvc are round shaped and won't fit flush with the lid. any ideas?:confused:

can't thank you enough for the specs on this little bucket. nice work.

Attached Files:

13. homedepot.com. They have the threaded and non-threaded online all the time.

14. Absolutely genious man! You just decided how im gonna start my first grow...

Compact, Simple, Portable and most of all... EFFICIENT!

+ Rep :D

15. Im new to this but im doing pretty good thus far. i have a 5 gal bubble bucket and plan on doing scrog. this is a valuable thread and i plan on doing this for my next grow or perhaps this 1. bcuz im still cluless as to how im gonna set my screen up. anyways + rep on the post partner. peace.
    b.

16. i am thinking about building this. what kind of pump did you use, and how much did it cost?:smoking:

17. Hey there greenman. Sorry i've been away from the city for some time. I actually used the round caps you are referring to. Believe it or not, the round caps actually help the overall design in that they allow for slight movement in the screen arms. So if you are a slight bit off on your measurements (which is seems you were not, pics look great!) the round end caps allow some forgiveness.

Sorry if this is too little too late!

Thanks buddy. Despite my setup only having a 3.4 sq ft screen, i pulled a bit over 160 grams last time around with a purple trainwreck, efficiency if centerplace here. Best of luck

Hope it works out for you. If you need any particular info, feel free to PM me, this is the easiest way to get ahold of me. Best of luck

18. Sorry if this is too late. Ive been away for a while. If your still interested. I use a ECOPLUS 1 diaphragm air pump. It'll run you about 50 bucks retail. However, i used to use the 12 buck standard two outlet hydro store pump which was sufficient... just barely. I am a strong believer in the diaphragm pumps! The roots love the O2!

19. I too am wondering how you check your PH and refill your water once the plants have filled up the screen?
    :smoking:

20. The lid and connected screen can be easily lifter a few inches and slip back or to the side (since the net pots are somewhat in the center of the lid). This allows you to easily reach in and read your meters, and reposition your airstones or whatever else you may want to do.

Im not sure why it worked out but the lid very easily slides out of the way and gives quite a sizeable opening to work with.

Im expecting around 4oz with my digi250. Harvest is 10 days out. We will see. Got over 4 last time so 5-6 would be encouraging