Small carbon filter DIY

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by mels, Sep 22, 2008.

1. #1 mels, Sep 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2008
    This is based on an Atrium Grate from the hardware store, outdoor plumbing. They come in a range of sizes, 3", 4", 6", etc. The one pictured is 3". This is perfect for veg or dryer boxes, or PC-sized bloom boxes. For larger and/or stinkier applications you can easily "T"-together 2 or more using fittings from the HDWR store.

Takes only a few minutes and no real tools.

What you need:

- Atrium Grate
    - single legging, the cheap ones that come in the "eggs" are perfect.
    - zip tie, or two
    - a few ounces (for the 3") activated carbon.

Total cost, ~ $10 (using a 3", they get more expensive as they get bigger.)

- scissors, fingernail clippers, snips or whatever to trim the zip-ties.
    - a length of Duct or Foil (I prefer Foil tape) to mount it.

It's self explanatory but I'll walk you through it anyhow.

Arrange your things out in front of you, such as this....
    [​IMG]

Now stick the Grate down into the stocking, (or pull the stocking over the grate ) as such....
    [​IMG]

Apply zip-ties just under the flange, tighten them down as much as you can without breaking them.....
    [​IMG]

"Cut the fat" .....
    [​IMG]

Pull the stocking back over the grate (or pull the grate out of the stocking..).... be careful not to snag and start a run on the edges of the zip-ties you just trimmed. You may want to put a piece of tape over it/them. Or just be careful.

[​IMG]

Pour some carbon in, work it around and even it out. Add more as needed and keep working until you have a good, even 1/2" or so layer. Tie the stocking off and again, trim da fat....

[​IMG]

I should add that before you tie it off, you need to pull the stocking as tight as you can get it. This tension will allow it to keep it's shape for the most part, otherwise it will just sag downward. This is also why you need to use zip-ties or a hose clamp; if you use rubber bands or anything flexible it will come right off when you are giving it the "final tensioning".
    From the inside....
    [​IMG]

Tape it up and yer done!
    [​IMG]

Original poster Pig Pen, ICmag.

2. What a natty little idea. Very simple.

Props for the attribution too.

3. Thanks for reading man.

4. this is a +rep post :)

5. awsome, defo going to make this for my cab

6. Great now I dont know whether to do this or that $30 dollar carbon filter wrap DIY. Any opinions on whether a Carbon Filter is better/worse/same as Activated Carbon?

7. do you think that would work running through a pc fan?

8. Could anyone tell me where to get this. I looked online at home depot and lowes and couldnt find any of the materials

9. i saw it at walmart by the fishtank filters

10. got mine in a pet shop by the fish section.

it works very well and I'm only using a 12cm PC fan running off a ac to 12v dc adaptor, one 12cm fan intake and one 12cm fan exhaust.

11. i found this and the OP... i'm excited to use it. gonna get that done this weekend.:hello:

12. i made a version of this since i couldn't find the atrium grate... i used a cup holder from the automotive section. everything else was the same tho!! :hello:

13. hows it working for you?

14. how does it work, i have a ngw 80 lb carbon scrubber w/8''-750 cfm and a 4'' odar-sok w/fan havent tried the odar-sok yet tho.

15. i have yet to try it out. i'm gonna finish up the back of my cab oday and set up all the ventilation stuff. so i'll post pics later if you wanna check it.
    :wave:

16. i have two of them going now, they are hooked up to 120mm fans. since i have a ways to go til flowering i won't know the real effect.

17. i made one. sighting different parts, but the idea is the same. It took out all the smell.

But i need a better fan since mine is restricting air flow so much.

18. great effin' idea... def. a +rep... fa shooo!!!

19. #20 vdubb, Apr 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2009
    so you will have 3 of them carbon scrubbers going correct ?

well i have been collecting as were going to be moving soon and got a 78 lb carbon filter with a 740 cfm 8'' and we've been using it after we blaze in a room about 12x12 and shit u not in 5 minz after we smoke the smell is 100%
    gone, if i'm in there while she's cooking lunch-dinner and i come out smells like i'm at a diff house. so hope all work well...

:smoking: