Diy Humidifer/chiller For Small Grows

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by jcj77d, Mar 21, 2008.

1. #1 jcj77d, Mar 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2010
    DIY HUMIDIFIER/CHILLER FOR SMALL GROWS​

This is a DIY Humidifier/Chiller for Closet or Tent Grows that can be made for under $50, & all parts can be bought locally most stores like walmart, radio shack, & pet stores or online.
    I use this in my 360 cubic feet closet w/ around 400w+ of light. It can lower my temps from 80's to mid to high 60's, & raise my RH from 30% to 90% +/- a few %. The temps are maintained around 75-78, & my RH is maintained around 50-60%. I can regulate the temp & RH by controlling the fans speed, which is controlled by a Coby 12v dc regulated power supply (Output:1.5, 3, 4.5, 6, 7.5, 9, 12V DC)

This can be modified for bigger operations, just use a bigger fan/higher CFM, bigger container, & bigger exhaust port, & using a multi-head fogger.

Note, the higher the water level in the res, the more fog, & to achieve even lower temps, add ice or frozen water bottles to the water. This can also be used w/ just Dry Ice for supplementing CO2 in your grow area, & w/ a proper exhaust port (pvc pipe, w/ a T splitter, pvc arms & end caps to direct the air flow (fog/co2) where you want it to go, just make the pvc adjustable for height, or for other reasons, look @ attached pic

Parts List:
    Ultrasonic Fogger - $25-60
    Fogger Float - $6
    60mm Axial Fan (52cfm) - $2
    12 quart Rubbermaid Container - $4
    12v DC power supply - $4-5
    [​IMG]
    Ultrasonic Fogger.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Fogger Float.

[​IMG]
    12 Quart Rubbermaid Container.
    [​IMG]
    Rubbermaid Lid ( view w/ 60mm Fan).
    I just cut a hole to match fan size & screwed fan to lid (intake), & then cut out a hole on opposite side for exhaust. I used a party cup for a spout, but pvc or other material can be used.

[​IMG]
    Top View of Lid w/ fan & exhaust port, You want the exhaust port to be a little bigger than intake port.

[​IMG]
    Fogger inside the Fogger Float (holds fogger at the right water level for most fog).

[​IMG]
    Shot of Fogger on, fogging in the water.

[​IMG]
    Shot with the lid on but fan off.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Shot of the fog shooting out of the exhaust port with fan running full speed, w/ temp readings.
    Starting temp was 73F, lowest temp was 62F

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydC9MMWRieE"]YouTube - DIY Humidifier/Chiller/AC for small grows & more[/ame]
    Video of my DIY Humidifer/Chiller fully together & running.
    Last picture is the Coby 12v DC Supply
    http://forum.grasscity.com/attachme...row-marijuana-your-s-answered-here-ca-709.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Dude thats pretty f'ing sweet.. Seems to work great as well! +rep:smoking:

3. How often do you need to add water to it?

4. thanks, ive pased this on to a fellow grower that was useing a regular humidifer thats high $, he returned it, & uses this concept w/ better results.

5. depends on how long u run it, the manufacture of fogger says not to run for more than 8hrs at a time, but i do w/ no probs. i run mine for about 14+hrs & half to refill it every few days (2-4)

6. Heres a shot of the diy humidifer/chiller in my hydro hut, w/ it off & on. this was a test run to see the dif between it off & on.
    [​IMG]
    i let the 400w hps hut on for 20mins w/ the diy off humidifer/chiller off, to get it to the running temps & RH, which where 79.1 % 43% as u can see in pic.

[​IMG]
    heres the shot w/ the diy humidifer/chiller on (only for 10mins) & the temp dropped from 79.1 to 77.9, & the RH rised from 43% to 52% in 10mins, & would prob change more if left on longer, but i had to leave.

7. well i did a final test run on my diy humidifer/chiller. i let the 400w hut run for about an hr & 20mins, & i got the temp to drop from 79.1 to 74.3, & the RH to rise from 43% to 59%. i also did a quick test run this morning w/ frozen water bottles inside the res of my diy, & the temp dropped another 4 degrees to 70.2, but no pic.
    [​IMG]

8. I have one of those foggers in my set up. But it sits inside my main reservoir and foggs my water+nutes. 20-30%RH inside box:cry: I would like to raise this for vegging, oh well. But...100%RH were my roots are. I leave it on while my light is on. It makes the roots grow so fast and thick you can just about see them growing.

9. where did you get your 60 mm fan ? and whats the exact measurement on it? 60mm x ? x ?

also not trying to sound retarded but where did you get your pro fogger and fogger float? i have been to three pet store/aquarium stores and they dont carry either of these products.

10. Bump, I'd like to know as well. Also, how does this cool the air? Anyone know the science behind it? Is it because water absorbs the heat much better than air, therefore humid fog absorbs the heat? Or is it just the cool water in the rubber maid?

TiCkEr

TiCkEr

11. try landscaping or exotic pet stores

the foggers are used in home fountains normaly. also i've seen them in terrariums for various reptiles. i have one we got years ago from a petsmart.

if all else fails - ebay

12. well what is a good humidty to grow in i imagine this would make it really humid and if its to humid wouldnt this be bad if codensenation started to build up on say walls and lights?!?

13. 60-70%RH is the optimal level for cannabis as far as I know. Good air circulation would keep condensation from building up I'd imagine. I'm going to build one step by step tomorrow and give it a shot.

TiCkEr

14. the more humid it is, the less resin that the leaves produce is what i read, but you dont want the RH to be too low either. Im going to try to find all the parts, and make one for my grow room, this would help the temp issue greatly i think!

15. do you have to have the floater for the fogger? will it not work without the floater?

16. it will work without it. the float just holds the fogger at a spcific depth so you can control the amount of fog.
    cheers

17. Hey this is pretty awesome, but the question i have is...

I have an HPs running, and a cooltube. The cooltube +fan is sucking air through and inside from the grow tent. So would the fogger and temps stilll work even though i got a fan sucking air from the cool tube out the grow tent?

18. yeah it would still work...i dont see why not, that would just help increase air flow and ventilation, and will help let more heat out.

19. i got it all online, foggers ive seen in pet stores, but not the float, im not sure on the size of fan, u can use any size

20. im not sure, but it cools the air somehow