My Glassblowing and Lampworking

Discussion in 'Concentrate Tools' started by Dysfunctional_Designs, Jan 10, 2013.

1. What's up guys; just wanted to share some of the stuff I'm making these days and maybe get some feedback. Right now I'm mostly making dabbers and domes; but I'm doing practice work making marbles and pendants too. All my glass is 1st Quality Northstar and Momka, and my clear rods/tubes and joints are all name brand pyrex boro.

I'm going to be ordering some grade 2 titanium nails ( the roofing style kind ) and melting them into future dabbers for the people who will only smoke off Ti.

You can get regular updates and pictures on my facebook page
    https://www.facebook.com/dysfunctiondesign

Or you can follow and subscribe on my YouTube channel to keep track of all my videos. dysFUNctional - YouTube

Miniature of my friend's bubbler (gift for him) Poker/Dabber
    [​IMG]

Dome, nail and dabber set I made a few days ago.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's one video of some of the other colors and shapes I made these mini bong dabbers. I tend to mix between photo and video updates, so you're best bet to following all my work is the facebook page, otherwise I'll try to come by here and update this thread every other day or so. Enjoy!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=4706395631419&set=vb.263540570407358&type=2&theater

2. thats some great work man :D keep it up dude!

3. Here's and update; I've been sick so I just started working and designing again. Enjoy!

I've been getting interest from a few smoke shops and small businesses just from word of mouth and people who are starting to buy my work are almost giddy and show it off to their friends and even some local glass shops (they are trying to help me get my name out and start a reputation for being a local glass blower / lampworker that uses quality glass and offers reasonable prices for custom work (ex: copper lettering) I'm not a fan of doing lettering with glass; due to it's comic sans ms type styling. hah

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Video... because pictures don't do the color range any justice. :p
    New Dabbers - YouTube

This marble is going to be on the end of the handle for a dome I'm making for a friend. This is his nickname in copper lettering, backed with double amber purple. Can't wait to finish this one.
    [​IMG]

4. awesome work! Just out of curiosity, what was the setup cost for this hobby? I'm also very interested in learning and I believe my local Community College offers a glass blowing class.

5. For a beginners set... if you need everything, you're looking at over 1000 dollars u.s A kiln is generally the most expensive initial cost. Soft glass is much cheaper and easier to work with a smaller torch, so I suggest starting there first. I have found that oxygen is something you will run out of often, so if it's hard to get; then you might need to invest in a bigger tank or use an lox tank. Hope this doesn't discourage you.

6. Wow man. Ever since I was little I always wanted to learn. Maybe someday when I'm richer I'll find a way/place.

7. Nice work man, didn't wanna let this thread die. Keep posting some new glass up man.
    Also if u want to get a set up cheaper,
    Keep an eye out for used equipment.
    I found a lynx torch, hand tools, oxy concentrator, and over 700 rods of glass for 1500$ locally. Well 3 hour drive but still.
    It's all worth 4000$ new.
    I'm hopefully going to purchase it, and get into glass work myself.
    How long have u been on the torch?

8. Can i pm you when i got some $$$? Lol can u make a bong? Idk if this is a noob question

9. i really dig your dabbers n dome set, would love to see more!!

10. Bongs require lathes and bigger kiln. Awesome work OP! Love to see new and up and commin masters of the Boro!

And just a quick suggestion to help OP and for us all to be able to continue to see OPs work progress. If Op sells his stuff OPENLY this thread will be shut down. Can't sell stuff on GC without GC lol.
    (However pm's are unmonitored) 8)

11. At first I was like wtf why is there a progression thread in Concentrate Tools, but now I see you went straight to learning to make those.

Which is actually not a bad idea, you will use a lot of basic techniques to make most dishes, dabbers, etc., and can expand on them later when you learn more advanced techniques. Dishes, dabbers, and various concentrate accessories always seem to sell too if the price is right.

Anyway, are you still at this? It's always nice to see other artists starting up on GC, if you ever need to pick a brain hit me up. Also made sure to stop by to subscribe.

12. Sorry about the long delay in updates and replies guys.

@ YoShytsWeak
    I don't have a kiln that big, and I'm saving for a lathe and a new torch at the moment.

@LilJ86
    You are correct; and it is not my intention to sell work in this thread, though the art does tend to make people forget that from time to time. I do accept PM's.

Also, once I get bigger in production; I may just contact GS about selling some of my work.

@PostPavillion
    Haha, yeah... I jumped right into money making glass-work (at least with boro). I worked with soft glass for a little over a year before ever touching boro. I probably learn something new everyday; whether it's a new technique or perfecting an existing one.

I've come a long way in the last couple weeks and I'm excited to show you guys what I've been up to. Thanks for the support PP

And for what you've all been waiting for; a fresh update!

Onyx, Slyme, Amber Purple Dabber - Oozing Topper
    [​IMG]

Simple Clear with Mushroom
    [​IMG]

Liquid filled dabber (prototype)
    [​IMG]

My second little dish (quarter size)
    [​IMG]

Humming Bird Feeder (I know... not a dab tool hahaha)
    [​IMG]

Miscellaneous Dabbers
    Top to Bottom
    -Double Amber Purple (solid color marble)
    -Amber Purple Mushroom
    -Blue Moon (solid color marble)
    [​IMG]

Set of 4 (Double Amber Purple) Dabbers. The random flecs of color are from the angle of sunlight and what look like scratches are nothing more than dust. =] The toppers look awesome through the marble lens.
    [​IMG]

Wart Dabbers
    Top to Bottom
    -Blue Moon
    -Amber Purple
    -Double Amber Purple (used a marble on this topper)
    [​IMG]

These are 6mm vs the 8mm dabbers I usually make. These will be business cards when I'm done with them... muahahaha
    [​IMG]

I started making my own frit and playing with some different colors.
    [​IMG]

More frit practice
    [​IMG]

Tried doing a color wrap on a maria and it came out "so-so"
    [​IMG]

Perfect Unobtanium wart dabber
    [​IMG]

Prototype Heady "Minion" (un-decorated handle)
    [​IMG]

Prototype Heady eyeball dabber
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoy!

13. Here's another update

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Another update, enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. I've been doing well lately; getting new clients and selling stuff to friends. Hopefully things keep going well so I can rely on it as an income.

I also started making dabbers with new tips; ground down with a diamond bit to be used more as a scoop or paddle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Feel free to follow my glass page. www.facebook.com/dysfunctiondesign

16. Fresh update of some of the new work I'm doing. I'm trying to do less production, and create more one-of-a-kind type art pieces. Some designs will be done in small scale production or (collections).

This is my current basic production dabber; though I have decided to make the diamond cut tips optional; as I realized that people with nice glass dishes usually have round edges; so the flame polished paddle design would work better for that. The good thing is I can always add the cut so people will get what they want no matter what. :D

[​IMG]

Rasta Mushroom Collection
    [​IMG]

Turned this mistake into the Pokemon "Muk" somehow. lol
    [​IMG]

My mini-bong dabbers (there is a hook/horn on the side to stop it from rolling, sorry for no side shot; check out the next dabber for reference to the type of horn that is on it.
    [​IMG]

Evil Alien, from my Alien Collection
    [​IMG]

Side view; note the horn (this is what is on the side of the mini-bong dabber)
    [​IMG]

I often plan out my work to avoid mistakes; but this is one of the few freestyle glass pieces I have made. Let me know what you think!

(I almost need to take a video of this one, you can't see half of the effects created with how the glass is laid. )

(back view)
    [​IMG]

(front view)
    [​IMG]

17. damn dude that last one is sick. i'm hoping to get into glassblowing over the summer.

18. Go for it dude; find something you like to do, then find someone to pay you for it!

19. Here's another update guys; Working on some heady pieces, perfecting some designs, and building on "The Alien Collection".

Keeping myself busy; makin' that paper.

[​IMG]

Custom Order - used for pushing down the bowl of a sherlock my friend has. Super deep bowl, and she hates ash on her fingers and lighter. This was the solution.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Evil Alien #2 from "The Alien Collection"
    [​IMG]

Heady Eyeball from "The Optics Collection"
    [​IMG]

Enjoy!

20. Finished annealing the work I did last night. Sold out of almost everything this morning. :D

The eye-ball changed colors after the kiln cycle; still awesome though.

[​IMG]

This heady piece is made on 10mm rod; the top is formed into a socket to make a glass bolt; Mini-bong topper with awesome base coloring. This is one of my favorites so far besides the Alien Collection I'm starting.
    [​IMG]