Creating fem. seed?

Discussion in 'Cannabis Breeding' started by TexarkanaTim, Jan 8, 2010.

1. I came across some info and don't know if its true. Thought maybe someone could weigh in with their thoughts. Throughout the years, I've always had good access to various seed, and just planted it and gone on with life. I only recently became interested in and started growing a few select strains out for seed stock. Here's the question......I have been told that if you let a female go thru flowering and just let it be, it will develop a few pollen sacks before it dies. If this pollen is collected and used to pollenate another female plant, the resulting seed will be feminized. It sounds too simple to be true, but has anybody heard anything similar? I might give it a try during my next cycle, but for now I'm trying to figure out if its a myth or fact before I waste the time. Thanks all.....TT

2. its true, but not universally so. not every single plant will form pollen under that scenario, but its a pretty good bet that many will if the flowering cycle lingers on for too long.

3. Exactly what amoril said. Certain strains are more sensitive to this than others. In my experiences, it seems strains which are either true inbred landrace or strains crossed from true breeding lines seem to do this quite often. I have grown a few F1 hybrids which I allowed to go several weeks beyond maturity which never once popped a pollen sack.

What I have found is it takes about 2-4 weeks past the usual date. I also have used the trichome method on this and they often appear when the trichomes begin to show amber/blonde to the naked eye without the use of a scope. There will only be a few sacks appear, so you have to be very observant to be able to collect the pollen. I cut that part off when it appears and place it in a solo cup so when the sacks pop open the pollen will settle in the cup.

Another point to make is that the resulting seeds will be female and will grow normally b/c chemicals were not used.

4. I came across an article on another website regarding this theory. It was written by someone calling themselves Soma, and the technique is apparently called "Rodelization". It is pretty much the same as what I heard, but it still leaves me with another question. In Rodelization, the plants are allowed to flower 10-14 days more than normal. The plants are then cut and hung up to dry and then inspected for the presence of "bananas". The bananas are then cut off an stored for future pollination. My question is this....wouldn't it be better to let the plants continue to grow until you see a banana, rather than cutting them and hoping one has formed?? Seems like a big risk to take (cutting them and hoping). Anyone??

5. ^not trying to take credit for it, just thought this would help

6. I have always waited until I seen the sacks forming; it usually happens on the tops of flowers,unlike Hermie's which develop in random sites on the plants. They usually occur at the very tops of some of the lower branch flowers, it can be 10 days, 14 days, I have had some take closer to 3 weeks. The bud is still good, however it has a very spicey hashy taste, and is often a very heavy type of high, not like couch lock, more like completely paralyzing your body.

7. yeah, Id guess the reason Soma recommends to do it that way is to prevent any unwanted pollination / release of pollen.

sounds like he plans to grab the pods just before they open and release naturally.

if you go until you visually confirm their presence, some of them will likely be harder to find and have already released their dust.

a pollen sac can go from a bulbous to open with dispensed pollen rather quickly.....within a few hours. if youve got a male, check it every 3hrs if you can, and youll see what im talking about.