Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Guide: Why am I having crazy freak outs?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Shankmasterflex, Aug 13, 2010.

1. #1 Shankmasterflex, Aug 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2010
    Hello all.

I've decided to make this guide because I personally went through a stint of a month or so where everytime I tried to toke, I had a seriously terrible reaction.

I see lots of guys and gals posting on here who are so upset because they're not sure what's happened to their smoking experiences.
    (ex: I've been smoking for XX months but recently everytime I smoke I ________ )

This will be a very basic guide but it will give you a few tools to use.
    I'm hoping that this will let all you apprentices know what to try first before anything else.

BLOOD SUGAR LEVELS

A very little known fact is that smoking weed causes your blood sugar levels to drop quite sharply.
    In fact, this is partially to blame for the munchies. You're body is low on sugar, so you immediately hunger for sweets and sugars.

The problem with this drop in blood sugar is that similarly to people with diabetes, when your blood sugar drops abnormally low, you can become very dizzy, nauseous, light headed, out of it, and generally "too fucked up".

Luckily there is a very simple cure for this ailment.

• Drink a glass or two of something very sugary beforehand like apple/orange juice, or a carbonated soda.
    • Have a serving of sugary fruit such as strawberries or apples.
    • Chow down on a candy bar, or some other candy before your session.

The key point here is to eat these things before smoking otherwise they won't work, or will work too late in the game.

DEHYDRATION

This isn't as obvious as you'd think. The fact that smoke is hot and dry causes you to lose alot of water while smoking it. There's other reasons to account for the fact that you get dehydrated while you smoke as well, regardless though, the fact is that you lose water while smoking! This is to some extent why you get dry mouth and dry eyes!

The symptoms for dehydration while you're high are the same as in normal everyday life, but they may seem a little more dramatic because of the change in perspective. The common symptoms are yellow urine (quick and easy way to check!), dizzyness, faintness, dry and adhesive saliva (more than the normal dry mouth), extreme thirst (more than munching out), and obvious vertigo or loss of balance when getting up quickly (has alot to do with blood pressure as well).

This one has the simplest cure in the world:

• Drink two glasses of water before smoking and keep water by your side while you smoke (might as well anyways to keep off that dry mouth and soar throat)

Be thankful if this is the reason you're freaking out, because it is so easy to fix! It's also an extremely healthy habit to get into, drinking an extra few glasses of water a day can help fix alot of ailments of the body.

PANIC ATTACK

This is a completely mental problem, so the fixes are not going to manifest themselves physically for the most part. If you have panic attacks when you smoke, the first thing you might want to think about is if cannabis and other drugs are really for someone like me.

I see all too many people pick up smoking when they're an extremely stressed out and anxious person. As much as cannabis can help stress and anxiety, it most definitely can make them much worse as well.

This article really covers the symptoms well.

All that aside, there's a two step plan that most blades will recommend:

• Smoke Less - This means instead of killing that entire 1.5 gram blunt with your 4 friends, just smoke until the first half is gone and then excercise a little self control and stop yourself.
    • Smoke Slower - This entails smoking whatever amount you've chosen, but choosing to smoke it over a longer period of time. For example, maybe smoke half of your joint and then put it out. Then maybe thirty to sixty minutes later after you've accustomed to your high, finish the rest of it. You might also want to try using spoons/bowls so that you can really smoke small amounts and comfortably smoke slowly without worrying about saving something like a joint.
    I think the key here is to really just lower your THC and Cannabinoid intake. These are the two most obvious ways to do that. One really key thing here is avoid trying to be "the guy". By this I mean, don't try and hit the bong "like a champ" or be "a boss" and smoke an entire blunt to the face. In fact, avoid bongs at all costs, they really aren't something you should toy with if you have trouble controlling your high, as they're main purpose is to fuck you up.

Now for some more alternative ways to help:

• Utilize progressive relaxation. Consciously relax your shoulders by allowing them to drop. Then let go of all the muscles in your face. Allow your face to feel like it's drooping down. Keep your eyes open or closed, which ever one makes you feel more relaxed and in control. Continue this process with your arms, then your abdomen and chest, then your legs, then your feet. This will not only make you feel amazing but it should help alleviate some anxiousness.
    • Deeply breath. Try to be in control or breathing and completely aware of it. First analyze your breathing, is it extremely fast? Is it shallow? Then begin to slow your breathing down by taking big breaths in through your nose and down into your chest, and then letting all that air out very slowly through your mouth. You should purse your lips as if blowing out a candle when you're exhaling to aid you in breathing out slowly. This will slow the flow of your blood down, slow your heart beat down, and give you something to concentrate on.

MEDICATIONS

I do not have alot to write about this since there are so many medications with so many adverse side effects, but I do have one bit of advice.

Research your medication and it's effects on the high weed gives you. A simple search using the search function on these forums should give one or two threads about your specific medication. If nothing comes up try google as well.

Unfortunately there isn't always concrete proof that it is your medication unless it's a very popular medication (say adderol or concerta), and even if so you might find out that it is not your medication giving you the freak outs (hey atleast that strikes one thing off the list right?). Either way, it's very advisable to do a quick 15 minute research session to find out if it could be your medication giving you problems.
    (Thanks Jrock for reminding me about this)

If none of these tools above help you, you should really consider if weed is a drug you should continue using. Sure the high might be enjoyable, but if you're having freak outs everytime you smoke it's much smarter to discontinue smoking. Plus, a long break from smoking such as a month or two allows your body to sort of "restart". After a long period of time, some people find that when they come back to smoking they completely lose their ability to freak out and no longer have problems.

If you or your family have a history of mental ailments such as schizophrenia, depression, or bipolar disorder, this might be the cause of your problems and you should wait until you've over come those diseases/sicknesses before you start smoking again.

I really hope this guide helps a few guys to keep enjoying weed. It can be such a beautiful thing, and as I've experienced, it's a huge bummer when it starts to become something you fear instead of love.

If I missed anything please feel free to tell me. I'm also aware there's a similar guide to this but it seemed too wordy and quoted. I felt there needed to be a more straight forward, easy to handle, and personal guide about this topic.

Shankmasterflex
    :smoke:

2. great job..sticky this

3. Thanks man, glad you liked it.

4. Rep +1
    I get ultra paranoid included with this. Thank you

5. Finally someone that took the time to write all this up. It'll be linked in the FAQ page in a little bit. :D

6. +rep and definitely sticky. Sounds like this could prevent a lot of panic attacks and wasted highs.

7. Thanks a bunch man! You're actually the reason I wrote this, I had just looked at the FAQ and thought hey, I could help too!
    :D

That's what I'm hoping, no one should have to deal with this stuff.

If you get ultra paranoid you should follow the same steps as anxiety and panic attacks.
    The idea of calming down and relaxing is key.
    Also you should go out of your way to only smoke in safe settings for a while until you're comfortable.

8. good guide, hydration is key.

9. I feel all warm and fuzzy inside now:p

10. Hey does anyone know if I'm allowed to submit this to the Guides sticky?

I don't mean to float my own boat or anything, I just think it might be the proper place for this?

11. No you can't. If Staff feels that's the right place for it, then that's where they'll put it.

12. Great post! I wish I had learnt this stuff the easy way. :)

13. Tip: Buy yourself a large bottle of water

Trust me at first you may not feel thirsty, Even after you smoke you may not feel thirsty but trust me you should drink that bottle

When you're high and dehydrated it's almost hard to feel or notice but after you drink you'll be feeling way better.

I always make sure i have fluids when smoking even though i am not thirsty at all

14. Okay cool. Just curious, never made a guide before! Thanks for the heads up.

Yeah man! It's a much easier battle to fight when you've got the right weapons.
    I didn't figure all this stuff out for weeks and weeks.
    Once I realized I had all this knowledge, I figured I should save some kids alot of time and write this up real quick.

15. Though I don't suffer when I'm high anymore, this guide is on point. Mad props and rep, it went beyond what the original ideas are, if you get my drift.

16. A couple years ago, when I was 17 I had a bad high, and my rents at that time had not known I was smoking weed. I had been smoking for about 6 months contemplating just admitting smoking. So I called my Dad while high and admitted to smoking. I didnt get grounded but my mom freaked and thought I was suicidal cause she found a tie in my room (just forgot to hang it up) and they blamed it on the weed, but it was at the same time I was starting concerta and I believe it was a reaction started by the medication and exacerbated by the weed and my Dad tried to convince me I could never smoke weed again because if I had another freak out like that hed have to put me on anti-psychotics, but he just doesnt like that I smoke. I got caught a few months later and they freaked out again. I took a 6 month T-break before trying it again. I've now been smoking for about a year, havent gotten caught yet but in the year I've been smoking I havent had any abnormal thoughts, while high I almost always empathize with others I meet in life, I was never at any point suicidal and Im mentally stable but Im too timid to tell off my dad, and he refused to watch The Union.

17. Good post op. A lot of good info there. I approached it a little differently though, I like putting myself in shitty situations in order to figure out how to deal with them. I don't is a physiological thing or not, but I do it often.

I had been dealing with a bout of paranoid highs, but with the last batch tried approaching it differently.

First I treaded water. Took a two large hits out of the bong. Got paranoid. So I put it away, closed out gc, threw on some chill music and just focused on the high itself. Picking out certain sensations and enjoying them. Once I locked onto that I took two more hits and just focused on the good shit.

Second I decided if I pushed it to the max I would enjoy the less inface your face high. So I purposely smoked more then I could handle, left the bong out, kept the music off and threw on a chaotic movie. I got sketched out but just tried to focus on the high.

I approached it that way several times to try an accustom myself to paranoia and what not. This was to get myself into a state where I could still logically think while sketched and bring myself back down to a enjoyable state.

After following this method I found that ripping the bong like a champ provided a enjoyable experience where I could control my state of mind in a sense and enjoy a full blown stoned state of mind.

Not saying that this would work for everyone, but worked for me and broke an ugly chain of unenjoyable highs.

18. I always use bongs and have never had a freakout.

19. Drinking is cool because it prevents the munchies from taking over too. I think people are thirsty but think they are hungry when they are high. Arizona iced tea is amazing and feels/tastes so great when you are high. I hate that taste in my mouth I get when I smoke too.

20. #20 Shankmasterflex, Aug 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2010
    I think I might've mispoken.

I'm saying if you do tend to have freak outs, bongs are not your friend and should be avoided. They tend to get you uncomfortably high.

If you've always been smoking bongs and been A-OK, keep at it!

My favorites fruit punch !
    :D

[​IMG]

Hm, that story brought to my attention something I might've skipped over by accident.

If you're on mood altering medication be wary of smoking and do a little research to see if your medication is notorious for causing bad highs.

Some say if you're on alot of seratonin inhibitors, or anti psychotics, or even anti biotics you could have a bad high. I think it's best for me not to right about specifics since there are too many medications and variables to write about, but I'm gonna put in an edit about medications.

Thanks for reminding me!