Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

What's the downlow with using tin foil to smoke?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Shankmasterflex, Sep 22, 2009.

1. See title.

My bong's bowl is broken, so basically i have a bong and downstem but no bowl. I'm really tempted to just fashion a quick fix one out of tin foil but I've heard mixed things about tin foil.

If we use tin foil for cooking and such, shouldn't it be completely safe? Tin can't possible evaporate at the temperature of a Bic can it? I once looked up on Wikipedia that it was some ridiculously high temperature that definitely surpassed the combustion of butane. And I know for a fact that almost all hookahs use tin foil bowls, and plenty of people smoke those daily.

So what's the deal? What's good blades? To tin foil or not to tin foil?

edit: Originally posted in Seasoned Tokers but I'm assuming it didn't qualify so here it goes Apprentice Tokers! ;)

2. Aluminum is used on the space shuttle for re entry to earth, I think it can handle a Bic lighter flame. Chances of any harm happening due to aluminum foil are very minimal. I'd say go for it as temporary but probably get a new bowl.

3. I'm doing this atm cuz I just broke my bong AND my pipe.. :(

it sucks, but it works, and im sure its killing my lungs..
    temporary solution ftl.

4. Man i just realized this

People are lilke no don't use it...but like...my mom cooks ribs covered in the stuff lol It can't be that bad to smoke from

5. listen you are going to get a million and one different awnsers. when i was younger and couldnt buy a spoon i used foil for probly a year or two and nothing happened to me. If you have nothing else at atm do it. If you got ipod headphones you can uses the screens off those they work better

6. Aluminum Foil is pretty safe just be sure that you are using pure aluminum and not a special kind that has like adhesive on one side. Its much, much safer then some of the things i've seen people smoke out of on here.

Aluminum Foil Bowl | Psychoactivation

7. Bro your stomach and your lungs are 2 different things. Aluminum foil fucks your shit up.

8. How is the aluminum getting into your lungs?

9. theres a thread somewhere on GC that details the relationship between prolonged use of smoking through aluminum and alzheimers. im too lazy to look, but i think that is the downlow, homie g.

10. I have used it if I didn't have anything else to use, it wont hurt you. you will barly notice a difference if you do it will be taste... Its safe because it doesn't even come close to braking down under the Bic's Heat.

11. This article basically summed up all the logic I've been telling myself. I think using it frequently might have minor health hazards, but a few smoke sessions can't hurt anyone.

Can I get an amen?

12. The combustion temperature of the butane in a BIC is 1977 degrees celcius the equation to convert celcius to farenheit is F=C*9/5+32, we need some mathematicians! haha and guess what the highest temp food can be cooked at. Wow you guessed right, it is alot more than a bic. DON'T USE ALUMINUM FOIL!

13. What?....

Bics burn at 1400 C, 2552 F
    Aluminum foils melting point is way way above that at 2519 C, 4566 F

14. Yeah I didn't say that the bic would melt it, it gets it hot enough to realease fumes that have a one way bus ticket to.. you guessed it your lungs!

15. i have used tin foil pipes for quick fixes for years. call them 'foileys'. as long as you don't use the same one more than a couple times you are ok. dont make it your primary by anymeans, but you're straight no worries bro.

16. the other downside is that you can only make about 500 of those fuckers with one roll of foil.. lol.

17. Bics are no where near hot enough to release harmful aluminum fumes. If aluminums melting point is 4566 F how is the flame of a bic that burns at 2552 F that really only touches the bowl for a few seconds while you light it going to release harmful fumes?

18. nothing happened .. yet :p

19. This is right. As long as you are not scraping the bowl that could create aluminum matter that you can inhale, there is no danger in using a bowl made out of it.

20. Shiny side down.