Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Guide to efficiently collecting pipe resin

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by ElementGREEN, Aug 7, 2012.

1. #1 ElementGREEN, Aug 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2012
    Every day I see someone on here talking about scraping their bowl for resin. How they want to conserve every last bit of their stash. Seems like they'll do anything for just one more hit... :p

Forget scraping out your bowl with a paperclip. I'm here to show you my favorite method of collecting/recycling smokable pipe resin. There really is nothing to it.

Tools:
    Dirty pipe/piece
    91% Isopropyl Alcohol
    Ziplock bag
    Table salt
    Glass Pyrex dish
    Razor
    (optional) Cue tip

[​IMG]

Lets get started. This is the most simple thing in the world.
    (if you already know how to clean your pipe using alcohol and salt, skip to step 3)

FIRST: Make sure you're in a well ventilated area. Clean your piece like normal. Place it in a ziplock sandwich/snack baggie. Dump fine salt in through the bowl or whatever hole you want to. Not too much, I usually put in about 1 Tbsp of salt for a regular sized spoon.

[​IMG]

2. Next pour in some Isopropyl alcohol. The stronger the better. Do enough to submerge your piece at least halfway. Then hold your pipe tightly and give it a good shake for about 2 mins. This'll get up most of the resin in the pipe. If it's still a little dirty (chances are it will be), let the pipe soak in the alcohol for about an hour. This will loosen up all the resin in it. If you need to you can use a cue tip to get any remaining thick gunk out of the pipe. If you need to get inside it just pull the cotton off the end and scrape that junk out. Not much to it, just use your head and you'll have a nice clean piece in no time. Also, make sure and run the pipe (just the pipe! Not the baggie full of resin) under warm water to get all the salt/alcohol out.

3. Now here's what you all came for. You should have gotten all that gunk out of your pipe, into that disgusting, black, smelly alcohol. Take that "solution" and dump it into a small glass dish (salt and all), just like if you were making qwiso hash. Let it sit overnight (about 12 hours) in a WELL VENTILATED AREA. You can place a fan blowing across it to speed up the process a bit if you're impatient.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    note: This is what you have left when it's dried (this was still a bit wet) before washing out the bowl with water. You want to get all the black resin and salt out of there.

4. When you come back to it you'll have a nasty thick pool of resin and salt. Trust me, you do NOT want to smoke that shit. Bring your dish inside and wash it out with hot water. This will lift that pile of gunk out, and will dissolve all the salt in the dish. Continue to wash it out until you're left with a VERY THIN, sticky, brownish layer of delicious "resin hash". Use your razor to scrape all that out of there. Get as much as possible. Remember, every bit counts. Let nothing go to waste! That's the reason you're reading this.

[​IMG]
    Sure it looks pretty sick, but this is not the same stuff you collect straight out of your pipe. This stuff actually burns a like bubble hash, and gets you stoned as fuck.

5. Pack a bowl of whatever you can, and put some of this resin on top. When you smoke it you just have to hold the flame right over it and get it nice and hot and it will melt all over your herb and bubble and smoke like crazy. I bet you weren't expecting the crap left over from cleaning your pipe to get you this stoned!

That's all there is to it. It is a bit of a tedious process to get 1 smoking session out of, but If you have some spare time and you're cleaning your pipe anyway, theres not many reasons to not do this.
    BTW, I recommend smoking this crap in a water pipe. It really does smell/taste like...Resin... :rolleyes:

PS I'll update with pics of the final product once the batch im doing now is finished.

2. Ewww disgusting rez

3. i may try this someday

4. Good shit man. Can you do it without the salt? The part about washing it out makes me think the water would wash away a lot of the resin, but I've never tried this technique. Paperclips and time are usually my only tools haha but this seems way better. +Rep when I get to a PC

5. if you just skip the salt and let your glass soak over night (so you dont have to sit and wait)

you can skip the water washing method which im pretty sure wont get 100% of the salt out lol

6. #6 ElementGREEN, Aug 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2012
    The salt will exponentially speed up the process. And yes, thats the point. You want to wash away the majority of the resin, so that all the cannabinoids are left on the bottom. It works terrifically. But yes you could just do like SIRSOG says and skip the salt, but I would still rinse out the bowl with water. That resin is not worth keeping.
    Have faith in me.

7. [quote name='"ElementGREEN"']

The salt will exponentially speed up the process. And you wash the pipe out after there's nothing left in it. If it's still filled with resin continue to shake it up a bit. If you didn't wash out the pipe there would be little grains of salt all over it and it would smell like SHIT.[/quote]

Ah I meant after you've finished cleaning and have the resin/salt compound. To get the salt out of the resin.

8. The bowl in my bong is thick with resin , might do this :smoking:

9. #9 SIRSOG, Aug 7, 2012

yea, lots of the ash and shit that falls through the bowl that isnt smoke residue will wash away making it cleaner

10. Yeah I realized that after posting. I edited it.

11. Resin hash lol

12. Yea I keep seeing some people call it this, I hope this isn't becoming some term.

The term itself doesn't even make sense, but if you're gonna call it something call it resintarcarginogenicslushywithminorpsychoactivesandcannabinoids

13. Take note of the quotation marks I put around the term... And Im pretty sure we can all agree it's just easier to say resin hash. :rolleyes:

14. [quote name='"ElementGREEN"']

Take note of the quotation marks I put around the term... And Im pretty sure we can all agree it's just easier to say resin hash. :rolleyes:[/quote]

Hash and resin are opposite things to me. It's an oxymoron.

15. Oh, ok. Here, I can make a smiley too :cool:

It's easier to just say resin, which is what most people seem to call it, even if that's not what it is.

16. Can you still clean the pipes this way with a metal pipe?

17. #17 ElementGREEN, Aug 7, 2012
    Alright, alright. I'm not trying to hurt or deceive anyone. And I apologize if i came off as a dick. I really wasn't trying to coin a new term or anything, Im just trying to show people what I do when I clean my pipes. No need to get hostile. I just couldn't think of a better name for it.

But really, what would you guys Rather call it? (other than resintarcarginogenicslushywithminorpsychoactivesan)

Deoxygenated: yes, it works great with metal pipes. See the metal one hitter I cleaned out with the spoon?

18. Most people just call it resin, that's fine, the term resin hash doesn't make sense because hash is essentially resin, and neither of those describe that stuff, but since resin is a common term for it it's good enough for communication purposes.

I wasn't specifically calling you out on the resin hash thing, my first reply was to what that guy posted as I've seen numerous people on here saying resin hash

19. [quote name='"Shizmot"']Good shit man. Can you do it without the salt? The part about washing it out makes me think the water would wash away a lot of the resin, but I've never tried this technique. Paperclips and time are usually my only tools haha but this seems way better. +Rep when I get to a PC[/quote]

this was also my concern, is there a better way to remove the salt? perhaps of you put a screen across the bowl like a coffee filter perhaps?

20. Sorry for all the questions, I usually boil my pipes, but this will work fine with only 70% iso right? I can't get higher in my state.