Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Marijuana Linked to Depression and Suicide

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by NotPotRelated, Mar 1, 2012.

1. ://www.sdb.k12.wi.us/safedrugfree/Teen%20Marijuana%20Use%20Linked%20to%20Depression.htm

Any arguments towards this?

2. better bring your flame shield.

3. TEEN marijuana use is dangerous. Obviously using psychoactive drugs on the regular while your brain is developing isn't the best choice but then again, neither is eating McDonalds everyday, yet McDonalds is perfectly legal even when 40% of America is overweight (correction, overfat) rendering basic health care impossible and raising the price of public transportation and planes because their fat asses need more space.

I for one disagree with the rest of the community marijuana is not "harmless" and never have been but we as humans should have the right to choose and do with our bodies what we want, you think marijuana is the devils weed? Don't smoke it, it's that simple

4. I've always felt its better to wait until the body is done developing before getting stoned.
    Once the body is done growing - bake away.

Just my 2 cents.

5. Please dont you make me so paranoid i smoked everyday from like 15+ :l

6. ive smoked since i was...16? 17? something like that. I like to say im ok. But i guess it depends on the person, brain chemistry, whatever i dont know alot about it. But i can honestly say that marijuana HELPED me with my depression, a lot.

7. i started at age 20 and never looked back haha

8. Tried the link- said it didn't exist or had been moved. [​IMG]

However, they are PART-WAY right about the depression. Here's the deal- when you use moderate amounts of cannabis, the brain is stimulated into making new brain cells and your depression lifts! [​IMG]

Good News For The Medical Marijuana Movement: Pot Proliferates Brain Cells And Boosts Mood (news - 2005) Good News For The Medical Marijuana Movement: Pot Proliferates Brain Cells And Boosts Mood

We have this BIG problem with the "average American diet"! It has almost NO Omega 3! [​IMG]

Now when those new brain cells are being made, the first ones are made just fine and use up the little Omega 3 that is in your body. And that is when the trouble starts! [​IMG]

When you don't have Omega 3, the CB1 receptors on the surface of your new brain cells are defective! A piece, the G i/o effector protein, doesn't get glued down like it should be, it is left "uncoupled".

The CB1 receptors transmit chemical messages into your cell, and you might think of that G i/o protein like a speaker with a loose or totally broken wire! When messages like "I feel good!" don't get through, you start feeling depressed, or have other impaired emotional behavior.

[FONT=&quot]“Nutritional omega-3 deficiency abolishes endocannabinoid-mediated neuronal functions.”[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]http://www.unboundmedicine.com/medline/ebm/record/21278728/abstract/Nutritional_omega_3_deficiency_abolishes_endocannabinoid_mediated_neuronal_functions_[/FONT]

Deficiency of Dietary Omega-3 May Explain Depressive Behaviors (news - 2011) http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Deficiency+of+Dietary+Omega-3+May+Explain+Depressive+Behaviors.-a0248155576

Now, when you combine our Omega 3 deficient diet with heavy cannabis use, you start making a bunch of defective CB1s, and the new brain cell just can't work right. This can actually worsen a person's depression!

Cannabis: Potent Anti-Depressant In Low Doses, Worsens Depression At High Doses (news - 2007) Cannabis: Potent Anti-depressant In Low Doses, Worsens Depression At High Doses

So if you are having trouble with depression and smoke cannabis, you absolutely NEED to take Omega 3! You can't allow your levels of Omega 3 to get low, if you want those CB1s to work properly and lift your depression!

Now, this doesn't work overnight! It takes time to replace your defective CB1s with working ones! It will take at least a month of taking Omega 3 to notice an effect.

And in addition to getting rid of depression, healthy CB1s in the brain do another thing....they get you high whenever there is THC in your system! [​IMG]

If too many of your endocannabinoid system's CB1 receptors are damaged, it WILL cut into your high! [​IMG] Are you getting your ultimate high? If you eat like most folks, the answer is likely "NO!"

Fish oil is the usual source of Omega 3. You can also get it from salmon and many other types of fish. (The old-style Catholics had/have a good thing going with their "Fish on Friday" trip!)

Vegetarians can use flax seed oil, or hemp seed oil. I find is amazing that the cannabis plant not only gives us THC and other phytocannabinoids to heal ourselves with, but also provides the Omega 3 we need to heal our endocannabinoid system, so THC CAN heal us!

About suicide, well I have a few studies that disagree that cannabis ups the suicide rate! this is the most recent. If cannabis caused suicide, the rate in MMJ states should have sky-rocketed!

[FONT=&quot]High on Life? Medical Marijuana Laws and Suicide (full – 2012)[/FONT][FONT=&quot] http://ftp.iza.org/dp6280.pdf[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    "Using state-level data for the period 1990 through 2007, we estimate the effect of legalizing medical marijuana on suicide rates. Our results suggest that the passage of a medical marijuana law is associated with an almost 5 percent reduction in the total suicide rate, an 11 percent reduction in the suicide rate of 20- through 29-year-old males, and a 9 percent reduction in the suicide rate of 30- through 39-year-old males."

I think that's pretty clear, don't you? And these guys, although they found a high correlation between cannabis use and suicide, they found that other factors were the cause, not cannabis usage! [​IMG]
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Cannabis and suicide: longitudinal study. (abst - 2009) Cannabis and suicide: longitudinal study. [Br J Psychiatry. 2009] - PubMed - NCBI

"Although there was a strong association between cannabis use and suicide, this was explained by markers of psychological and behavioural problems. These results suggest that cannabis use is unlikely to have a strong effect on risk of completed suicide, either directly or as a consequence of mental health problems secondary to its use. "

And a "reverse cannabis" drug called Rimonabant was used for a while as an weight-loss drug (it blocked your appetite, sort of an anti-munchie effect). You know how cannabis makes you feel good? Well, Rimonabant did exactly the opposite! It was removed from the market after several people killed themselves while using it!

Risk of suicide spurs rimonabant trial to end. (news – 2010)
    [FONT=&quot]Risk of suicide spurs rimonabant trial to end. - Free Online Library[/FONT]

Regulators Call for Withdrawal of Acomplia (Rimonabant) from European Market (news - 2008) at Rimonabantreport.com

The psychiatric side-effects of rimonabant. (full – 2009)
    [FONT=&quot]Revista Brasileira de Psiquiatria - The psychiatric side-effects of rimonabant[/FONT]

OK, I think that explains it all! [​IMG]

TAKE YOUR OMEGA 3 FOR BETTER HEALTH AND A BETTER HIGH!
    [​IMG]

Granny [​IMG]

9. learn somethin new every day

10. Praise granny

11. Marijuana helps rid depression for me too.

12. I agree with the depression....Its helped it if anything

13. Absolutely not. Antidepression pills are also linked to depression and suicide if you can believe that.

Anything which makes you feel better for any amount of time, will make it seem like its that much worse once your sober.

I generally believe people who commit suicide are mentally weak people. Everyone gets depressed, its natural.

14. Actually weed helps me lift my spirits but.. the devil arises when I am alone for too long.. also I dont like being in public high because i have feelings everyone knows i am high.. so yea marijuana is bad but it is also good..

Anyone who says marijuana has no negative effects is a facking retard. Marijuana is like a knife.. it can save a life and it can take a life.

15. They have to look at who is using marijuana. If they are teens and using and they are depressed, they are probably using because they are depressed, not that the marijuana actually causes the depression.

16. It reveals the real world once your not high anymore. It steals denial. Of course. [​IMG]

17. I could never imagine anyone committing suicide while high on marijuana.

Maybe after you run out though...

18. Correlation does not imply causation.

19. Exactly. If we want to condemn weed because of it's link to depression, imagine how deeply we could condemn alcohol.

Depressed people use drugs (legal, illegal, and prescribed) to medicate themselves. Often the drug makes the problem worse. In the case of weed, it can make you more withdrawn, because it's that kind of a high. And that certainly doesn't help with depression.

Weed is not completely harmless, nor is it as destructive as the "devil's weed" prohibitionists would have you believe. The argument that it's harmless is as counterproductive as the argument that it's the "devil's weed", especially because kids grow up thinking it's harmless, and ignoring all precautions.

The true nature and usefulness of weed gets lost in the fog of lies from the prohibitionists and sanctification of weed among us potheads.

Kids shouldn't smoke weed any more than they should drink alcohol.

20. Which came first, depression or the weed? Some people smoke for depression, some people get depressed from weed. Suicide crosses my mind on a daily basis. Life is pretty morbid and grim and cynicism is an easy response. Who are we to judge anothers decision to end their life? Yeah they werent in the right mind. Not everyone can be happy. Some of us are missing ingredients for normalcy. Let people do what they want. Discussion? Yeah, cuz deciding whats best for others ina group setting always works.... Right?