monster cropping

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by g51782, Apr 4, 2010.

1. seen a few threads about monster cropping (i think that is what it's called)i.e. taking clones at day 21 of flower, rooting them and reverting them back to veg, and they explode with crazy nodes all over the place

attempted this for my first time with a white widow plant and this is the result

these 2 pics were taken on march 4, you may have seen them posted in this thread

http://forum.grasscity.com/advanced...4-topped-budding-cutting-got-6-sprouts-4.html

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i believe these cuttings were taken on day 25 since 12/12, around the first week of january, took more than this but some of them didn't root all that well and weren't worth transplanting, these were the two strongest, so the pics above were about 2 months into this learning experiment

and check the attachment for the picture taken on april 4th, you can see it's really went crazy in a month's time

i know i'm not very informative at all, just wanted to share my experience and pics with you guys, in case some of you were interested in trying it on your plants

Attached Files:

2. Here's a great monster cropping article that might help you

Monster Cropping

This method of training involves taking clones of flowering plants and then forcing them to root and re-veg, which eventually leads to very bushy plants with a great number of branches and nodes. I named this technique Monster Cropping because that is what you will get, real monster plants, but also because this method was introduced to the scene by a grower named greenmonster714. He in turn credits a grower named Feral for discovering this technique.

Taking clones from flowering plants goes against all that has been said about cloning cannabis and might therefore seem a bit confusing at first but the science behind the technique is sound and the results speak for themselves.

You start by taking clones of a plant that is about 21 days into flowering. This seems to be the best time to do it but you can also takes clones at a later stage with the same results. The lower branches make better clones as they have not yet become rigid and will also root faster and more easily than say the top cola. Move the new cutting into a glass of water and let it sit for a while in order to make sure that no air gets into the vascular system during handling, as this can be fatal to your new plant. You should make the cut so that it runs along the stem as this will increase the surface area for water and possibly nutrient uptake, depending on what method of cloning you use.

In the picture below, you can see how the clone from a flowering plant been has placed in a propagation bubbler for rooting and re-vegging. This also means that you will have to put the clone back under a veg light schedule of 18/6, 20/4 or even 24/0. Clones do not need strong light so a small CFL will do. You can remove some of the buds at this stage in order to encourage the plant to revert back into its vegetative cycle but leave the topmost flower alone.

[​IMG]

It will take several weeks for the clone to root, some never do, so it is best that you take a great number of clones at the same time in order to ensure that at least one makes it on to the next stage. It might be a good idea to place the clones inside a humidity dome, which can be bought at gardening stores or custom built for your specific needs. The high humidity inside the dome will make sure that the plants do not dry out and die. Ventilate the dome every day just to make sure that the plants don't get attacked by mold.

Keep in mind however that the most important thing when it comes to cloning is to provide the fresh cuttings with plenty of oxygen and that is why the propagation bubbler is so effective compared to other methods.

[​IMG]

The clones might be a sorry sight at first but as soon as they root, they will also revert back into the vegetative stage and start growing again. Once the clones have rooted properly and started growing again, they will put out single unserrated leaves at first but the normal leafs are soon to follow. It might be a good idea to apply some training at this stage, tying down some of the tops will encourage even more branching. You can also provide some heat underneath the clones as this will speed up the rooting process considerably.

When the plant starts growing again, the incredible branching power of the flowering clone becomes apparent.

[​IMG]

As you can see, this plant has grown into a real monster, and all this without ever topping the plant. That's the beauty of this technique; you can forget all about topping and FIM'ing since the flowering clone will sprout all these new branches all by itself.

This plant is now perfectly suited for a SCROG or perhaps even a SOG grow. This one plant can easily fill up an entire Scrog net in no time. Several of these plants grown in SOG will definitely give you a grand harvest.

There are other benefits from using this technique; it also removes the need for keeping mother plants. When the newly re-vegged plant is flowered, it can also provide more clones for a perpetual harvest. Recycling at its best. This might be of interest to those who need to keep down their number of plants.

Needless to say, this method is highly effective thanks to the heavy branching that occurs after a flowering clone is re-vegged. With further training and some patience, you will get some real monster plants and thereby also a monster harvest.

3. appreciate it man, that's actually the post in the other thread that i saw and it really made me want to go for it and actually try taking budded clones, and i'm glad i did, now i've got two beast plants with tons of nodes just waiting to be flowered haha

4. pic update a month later, the flowering one is referred to as Mohawk, because before the flip, all the nodes grew out of two sides so it was like a mohawk, and the bush is referred to as Monster, well because it's a beast haha

Monster is still vegging and also has a bag on a lower stem in the picture, that is a grafting experiment i'm trying with a fem diesel cutting grafted onto the lower branch of the white widow, the bag is for the humidity, will get transplanted to a 5 gallon bucket soon

Mohawk is on day 23ish of flower and is going to get a trim soon, may take some clones don't know if i have the space just yet haha

Attached Files:

5. A picture is worth a thousand words. Nice job man. Looks sweet.