mold on hydroton

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Lady3587, Feb 6, 2009.

1. #1 Lady3587, Feb 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2009
    Hey! so im running a drip hydro bucket system and im about a week and ahalf into flowering.

So i checked on the plant today and I noticed that some of the clay balls have like a white gooey stuff on them.....like they had been sitting in water too long you know?

Like......you know how the salts fromthe nutrients sometimes build up on a dripper system?....well it seems like they built up on the actual clay rocks....except imnervous it will get inthe way of my plants health.

Is it just the salts from the nutes? should I just flush them a little bit to get the salts off? Or could it be some sort of fungus or mold? I hope not, i imagine it would be much more of a pain in the keister :(

All help that comes my way is super appreciated!

Thanks all and keep growing, most stuff i see on here is AWSOME :D

smoke one! :smoke:

2. i have a similar system, and i don't think it's nutrient solution building. whenever my nutes build up on the pipe, they're always hard and green, and i've never seen anything pile up on the clay like that. if it's not somewhat crystally, it's likely not salt, as it would just dissolve under water. how far is the affected clay from the water output? what nutes are you using?

pics would be very helpful.

3. #3 Lady3587, Feb 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2009
    well it was soggy but before it touched it it looked like it was crystaly but onces i touched it it all smushed, you know? it wasn't on all of them....just a couple and they were right below one of the dripper holes.....I keep my system dripping 24hours....could that be the problem?

I am using GHflora 3 part (gro micro bloom) and Im using foxfarms boosters.....they are three part too. Right now im using the first on "open sesame" next will be "beastie budz" and last "cha ching".....heh heh....I like the way that sounds.....cha ching lol

anyway....maybe pictures will help me explain? Im not sure if my camera is all that great to show the details but hopefully it will be better then just my words :eek:

The first one has the affected one on the right and on the left is one that hasn't been affected.
    The second pic...I am holding the one that i think may have mold/nutegunk? on it...the third also the same.

thanks for the response zomgwead :)

Attached Files: