please critique my new grow room

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by bulldog, Jun 23, 2007.

1. i have just finnished setting up my new room and i wanted to know what you think. i have tried to think of everything, but this is the first grow so i want to check. thanks

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1

2. looks good, bue, please tell me its lightproof.

3. yes, you cant see the door in the picture but it has weather stripping and is light proof ;) thanks for the input

4. well i'll, give you credit on one thing,,,, you got all the tools to do it with,,,,

but youll proably not need that de-humidifier, as long as your intake and exaust air is,, '' equal'',,,,,, your overdoing it as far as '' equipment''goes.

dont overdo it when it comes time for your nutes to be delivered...... sometimes trying too ;; hard;; can lead to disaster.... good luck bro. and rep. to you for starting the process... good luck, and start a grow journal!!!:D

5. A dehumidifier can be useful in certain conditions. If ambient air around the op is very cool, a temp operated exhaust fan may not run very often, or not at all during lights-off.

A dehumidifier will both drop RH and will contribute a little heat during cooler months, better than just heating the room air. Especially nice when the ambient air is 16C(~60F) or under. RH can spike in such temps in lights-off, making powdery mildew almost a sure thing.

I run mine 24/7/365- and the free distilled water finds a use, usually recycling back into the op.

6. Try to straighten out the sharp bends in your ducts and eliminate any excess duct length; this will reduce flow restriction.

Run the op for a week with a bath towel suspended cleverly under the light but above a bucket of water, with a corner of the towel dipping in the bucket, to simulate the transpiration of water from a few plants.

Record the temps and humidity against readings from ambient air around the op. You should be able to keep your op only a Fahrenheit degree or two warmer than the ambient air intake. Note what happens to your RH especially in lights off. A peak-mem thermo-hygro is a mighty handy tool for the job.

7. well i am about 3 weeks into vegetative state. i had a few problems getting started. first i had been using tap water and realized that the ph was not perfect that there was quite a bit of salt in it, so i got a reverse osmosis set up and paid more attention to the ph. that fixed that problem. because of the bad water they started off growing slow and almost died, but i pulled them back with some nutes and clean ph balanced water. now i am seeing some yellow spots and faded green color on the new and old growth. Do you have any suggestions?

Attached Files:

8. your ph and ppm's?

9. 100% guaranteed overwatering! The plant roots need time to dry up a little, if you are overwatering them the stay too saturated and droop due to a loss in static pressure within the plant itself. I would feed three times a day with even spacing between feedings. In addition, how much nitrogen are you giving the plants (nitrogen defficiency = yellowish color)?

10. My ph is 5.6-6.0 depending on the time of day(i balance it out twice a day to 5.6) and my ppm is about 450

11. I'm not quite sure how you overwater on a drip hydro system? should I have my pump on a timer for incremental operation?

Oh and thanx guys for the questions and suggestions it's nice to get some imput:)

12. Definitly should limit the amount of time they are saturated, so yes put your drips on a timer so that they drip for a few but shut off.

13. you must be smokin some pretty good shit, or you dont know what youre talkin about.
    Those seedlings only requre minimal amounts of nutes for the first month at least, and they only look about two weeks old currently.
    theyre showing early stages of heat stress so id suggest
    lookin into that if I were you Bulldog!!!!
    this is the second time ive read bad advice from you,
    how come youre so quick to be the teacher when you have nothing to back it up.
    and what is static pressure ? care to elaborate cause ive never heard this term used before today,
    and i have 7 different grow books that ive read from front to back.

14. What's the time schedule for the drip ring? They do look overwatered, but i can't say that for sure. I would def put it on a timer.

It might be me but i can see it getting really crowded fast, with those buckets so close.

15. yes suspec the temp in the room is a little high....about 81 deg. f. directly under the lights at plant level. Is that hot enough to cuase damage? you're also right smooka the buckets are Really close, it's the only space I had to work with. What increments should I place the timer at for the water? right now it's on 24/7.

16. I've seen GREAT results with a system like that running 30mins every hr. Even when the lights are off.

Setup looks good, can't wait to see those babies when they are budding

17. thats not really that high if the seedlings entire life cycle so far
    has been the same, but combined with oversaturation it would prolly
    be just as bad as crankin it up 10 more degrees.
    I dont know much about timer cycles for hydroponics cause i grow in dirt, but I do know you need to get the temp down just a lil bit
    good luck you, should be fine
    other than those 2 lil minor issues, your grow looks pretty sweet!

18. well shouldn't need to have your drip on a timer, I've run every one of my grows with the drip going 24/7.

The only time I've had a plant that looked like that was when there was a Ph problem. The next thing that could do it would be a temperature problem. There was also one plant that looked like that after a calcium/magnesium deficiency.... You should also try to make sure that the water going to your roots is pretty cool, if you could get it to around 60 degrees your plants would love you for it.

I wouldn't worry 2 seconds about having the drip going 24/7, just make sure that if you have any medium around their roots (ie rockwool and so on) it's not getting saturated by the drip system.

Also 81 f. is defenetly not to warm, and these seedlings will like a bit of humidity, so I wouldn't worry about dehumidifying your grow area. Maybe just around the room.

My advice actually would be to try bringing that ph up a bit to around 5.9 - 6.5, i think that's where your problem could be coming from.

edit: Hydroponic grows can handle a bit more heat than soil grows especially if the water is nice and cool

19. I grow in dirt and my ph is 6.55.
    for hydroponics hes right where he wants to be, more bad advice.
    leave ph alone bulldog, worry about heat and overwatering thats it thats all for now,peace:cool:

20. I germinated these guys exactly 4 weeks ago today.. They have a ton of fresh growth, but they're only 5 inches tall. their leaves are large and they're really bushy and fairly stinky. does anyone know why they aren't getting any taller. the 1000w mh is 26 inches away so I'm not sure if possibly the lights are too close. see pictures on m journal (link below)