Ppm

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Guest, May 23, 2012.

1. I've been PH testing from the beginnning but I was told that it's not really necessary to test PPM in soil. Now that I'm recirculating the water a little bit, I think it would be a smart idea to start.
    I figure it's probably pretty easy to read a meter. I just don't know the standard numbers. A friend of mine casually said he feeds at 1400 the week before he flushes.

What should the numbers be to build up to that including Veg time? Not looking for exact, just something I can ballpark. I was guessing something like this.

PPM
    Veg
    Week 1 - Probably just water
    2 - "
    3 - 800
    4 - 900

Flower
    1 - 1000
    2 - 1000
    3 - 1100
    4 - 1200
    5 - 1300
    6 - 1400
    7 - 1400
    8 - Flush

2. #2 Guest, May 23, 2012
    Last edited: May 24, 2012
    This is what I was looking for!

3. #3 PlantEngineer, May 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2012
    don't trust the feed amount recommendations. start at 1/4 strength and let the plants tell you if thats good or not. Adjust from there

fwiw, I never feed over 800-850 ppm (but my plants never exceed 7', bigger plants need more IMO). You check the feed before going in, not the runoff, runoff is for ph. You have all kinds of crap in the runoff , its not a true reading of how much "food" is in the soil.

4. PPM is a conversion from EC. Some meters use a 0.7 conversion. Others use a o.5 conversion. The different conversion rates can create confusion and problems between one grow room and another depending on the meter used. Anyone who speaks in terms of ppm does not understand this.

The only thing we should talk about online is the EC. This is standardized and is not a conversion. My 1.0ec is your 1.0 EC and that is important when trying to suggest appropriate feeding levels.

I start with a 0.6 EC at the beginning of veg, around the 3rd or 4th leaf set. I increase the EC with the growth, slowly at first and more rapidly as the plant grows faster later in veg up to a 1.6 EC. During flowering I cut back to a 1.2 EC and increase at a steady 0.1 EC per week up to about 1.8 to 2.0 EC depending on the nutritional requirements of a particular phenotype. I should also mention that I feed regularly but that I alternate full strength and half strength feedings. This allows me to get more runoff on the half strength days to remove buildup while maintaining my element ratios.

So... EC. Always EC. PPM is always a conversion of the EC so to avoid all confusion we should definitely talk only about the EC measurements the ppm would be based on.

5. OK cool. Yeah I just bought the Bluelab Truncheon Meter which reads both PPM conversions as well as EC.

6. @SCMC

That was a very confusing thing when I first started. I actually added a link in my sig so I wouldnt have to explain the issued everytime I offer my help. Nice read